U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 07:59 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,274,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Hmm, it seems he singled out a very small population that do fit the stereotype. In fact, I work with several people of that small population, and they would pretty much agree with the description.

They also have a good sense of humor.
And the Fran Drescher sound-alike I know is an Italian American Catholic. She loves bagels.

My sources tell me the Jewish population in Boca Raton is about 20 percent. Not exactly a small population. Perhaps he did single out a fraction of Jewish people in Boca Raton but the "is it Kosher" comment certainly was directed at Jewish people as well at the comment about Too-Jays which mimics a typical NYC delicatessen (a word borrowed from the German language). The rest of that comment was pointing at people from New York City and the accent. So obviously the poster feels he is above and better than a group (large group) of people. Actually Drescher was born to Jewish parents. She is, however, an ordained minister. She was in my wife's high school graduating class as was Ray Romano. My wife was friends with Joy (Fran) as they lived in the same Queens, NY neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 08:04 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,937,093 times
Quote:
Hmm, it seems he singled out a very small population that do fit the stereotype. In fact, I work with several people of that small population, and they would pretty much agree with the description.

They also have a good sense of humor.
And the Fran Drescher sound-alike I know is an Italian American Catholic. She loves bagels.

I know a woman who is a self described "Long Island Jew" (and she has the stereotypical accent as well) who moved to Boca Raton in High School and lived in Palm Beach and Broward County until she was about 35. She moved to Jacksonville and she told me she is so happy to be away from the South Florida, NY transplant mentality down there... She never wants to go back...

BTW I grew up in New Jersey so no hatin on the Northeast from me

Old 10-27-2016, 08:48 AM

4,822 posts, read 5,384,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Mobile/portable devices keep some of us in touch.
Funny how different we all are.

When I'm out and about doing something/enjoying myself... I'm not one to stare at my mobile/portable device... and certainly don't take social media seriously.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,215,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I know a woman who is a self described "Long Island Jew" (and she has the stereotypical accent as well) who moved to Boca Raton in High School and lived in Palm Beach and Broward County until she was about 35. She moved to Jacksonville and she told me she is so happy to be away from the South Florida, NY transplant mentality down there... She never wants to go back...

BTW I grew up in New Jersey so no hatin on the Northeast from me
That's funny . I often hear " I've got to get out of South Florida because I moved here to get away from people like me, and now they're all here".

In any case, not everyone's going to like you no matter who you are or what religion, race etc you are.

People who come from the crowded areas of the Northeast do tend to be more aggressive because that's how they've had to be to get by up in those areas.

Yes, they can be annoying. And to them, slower less aggressive people are annoying.
I can remember so many incidents of NE folks complaint about the slow, stupid Floridians.

I've witnessed Jews commenting on a Nativity scene saying" I wish we could get that goddammed thing out of here" when there is a Menorah and dreidels close by. I am a non believer but enjoy the holiday rituals and can't understand all the nasty infighting.

And I'm sure some of those "20% Jews" are annoying . And some if the Catholics are annoying. Some even sound like Fran Drescher . My point was you don't have to be Jewish to have that voice!
We don't all like each other!!! That's life.

Spring Hillian, I agree with many if your posts in other threads. I know also that you will post and post until you are proven RIGHT, dammit. That's okay.

I do agree with the poster's thought that being around people whose idea of"normal" is a constant stream of aggression and confrontation is very unpleasant when it's not your "normal". And that's not dependent on religion or race.

But we should just probably get on with the thread.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-27-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-27-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Funny how different we all are.

When I'm out and about doing something/enjoying myself... I'm not one to stare at my mobile/portable device... and certainly don't take social media seriously.
I check my voice mail/email every couple of hours and look at CD and FB.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:51 AM

Yes, people from more populated areas are more aggressive. I think about the Seinfeld episode where Jerry mugged an old lady who had gotten the last chocolate babka. We also got aggressive at news stands because we wanted to be sure we didnt get stuck with the last newspaper because they were always ripped and torn. I remember as a kid watching the woman battle over a table of freshly laid out purses or shoes at department stores. Ive been pushed aside by little old ladies fighting to get in a subway car because they wanted a seat that was rarely available. Reminds me of another Seinfeld episode where Kramer was getting on the subway and everybody beat him to a seat. Real life in NYC for sure.

Yes, you are right. I will post to prove my point. I dont like to see incorrect information being accepted as fact.

Onward.................

Quote:
That's funny . I often hear " I've got to get out of South Florida because I moved here to get away from people like me, and now they're all here".

In any case, not everyone's going to like you no matter who you are or what religion, race etc you are.

People who come from the crowded areas of the Northeast do tend to be more aggressive because that's how they've had to be to get by up in those areas.

Yes, they can be annoying. And to them, slower less aggressive people are annoying.
I can remember so many incidents of NE folks complaint about the slow, stupid Floridians.

I've witnessed Jews commenting on a Nativity scene saying" I wish we could get that goddammed thing out of here" when there is a Menorah and dreidels close by. I am a non believer but enjoy the holiday rituals and can't understand all the nasty infighting.

And I'm sure some of those "20% Jews" are annoying . And some if the Catholics are annoying. Some even sound like Fran Drescher . My point was you don't have tone Jewish to have that voice!
We don't all like each other!!! That's life.

Spring Hillian, I agree with many if your posts in other threads. I know also that you will post and post until you are proven RIGHT, dammit. That's okay.

But we should just probably get on with the thread.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:54 AM

22 posts, read 14,065 times
Quote:
How dare you point this out!!! Tsk, tsk..

South Florida has close to the largest economic disparity in the entire country.

So, the rich pretty much hang together; there aren't many in the middle.

Perhaps I'm missing something but , outside of work, I don't see many people hanging out with others of a different race or ethnic group.

In Central Florida ( which according to many down here is full of hicks and rednecks and should be wiped off the map) I see different races and ethnic groups hiking , kayaking etc together or whatever and I don't really see that here.

I'm always shocked and pleasantly surprised by how much more polite people are up there. I could list many experiences.

Work keeps me in South Florida .I do love my job and the other creative work I can get here. It sure isn't the people, for the most part.

The horn honking, the lack of respect for personal space, neighbors fearing the decline of my town turning into an uber neighborhood watch police state. Really sad.
The lack of personal space thing is so bizarre. Granted store get crowded and space can be tight, but to be within centimeters of another person when walking by and not saying pardon or excuse me is just mind boggling. I've never seen a place be so diverse but as equally segregated.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,937,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaHobbs View Post
The lack of personal space thing is so bizarre. Granted store get crowded and space can be tight, but to be within centimeters of another person when walking by and not saying pardon or excuse me is just mind boggling. I've never seen a place be so diverse but as equally segregated.
Some of it is Latin America as well. My friends parents are from Chile ( of Croatian descent), she said her mom who has lived in Jacksonville for nearly 40 years, still gets waaaay to close for most Americans comfort. She said in Chile everyone is a "close talker" ( another Seinfeld reference for those old enough to remember) and are rude about standing in line, cutting and pushing their way to the front

South Florida has the combo of lots of people from the Northeast US and Latin America.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,215,797 times
Yes, it's kind of a bunch of vastly different people just thrown together. So we're bound to set each other off!

That being said, many if the BEST things in South Florida exist because of the aggression, tenacity and extreme generosity of people from the Northeast. And many if these people happen to be Jewish. Parks, museums, successful environmental preservation efforts, etc.

The story behind Green Cay Wetlands in Boynton is one of my favorites.

Thank you Trudy and Ted Winsberg. You are awesome.

Be sure to visit Green Cay and see why they deserve infinite thanks.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-27-2016 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-27-2016, 11:00 AM

9,773 posts, read 7,060,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
My sources tell me the Jewish population in Boca Raton is about 20 percent. Not exactly a small population. Perhaps he did single out a fraction of Jewish people in Boca Raton but the "is it Kosher" comment certainly was directed at Jewish people as well at the comment about Too-Jays which mimics a typical NYC delicatessen (a word borrowed from the German language). The rest of that comment was pointing at people from New York City and the accent. So obviously the poster feels he is above and better than a group (large group) of people. Actually Drescher was born to Jewish parents. She is, however, an ordained minister. She was in my wife's high school graduating class as was Ray Romano. My wife was friends with Joy (Fran) as they lived in the same Queens, NY neighborhood.

I always liked Fran Drescher. I figured that accent in that nasally voice was her trademark as a comedian and exxagerated for its comedic affect in her role as the Nanny-especially when they referred to it on the show.. I heard her on a couple occasions speak outside that role and she almost sounded normal, LOL.

I'd associate that accent with anyone from NYC and surrounding areas, not necessarily particular to any ethnic group. And I can't say I've heard that too many people, even from that area, that spoke that "nasally".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or