Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Connecticut or Florida a better place to raise a family?
Connecticut 43 50.00%
Florida 32 37.21%
Both are good 11 12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:31 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Why stay away from the urban areas? They aren't all bad. Me personally, I wouldn't be able to stand living in a non-urban area. But I'd definitely rather live in urban CT than urban FL.
I know lots of people, especially in NYC, who could not stand the quiet of a non-urban area. Nor would they want to deal with home-ownership and the tied down feeling of it. Its just against their grain.

Ive spent the better part of 47 years (I was in Japan for 2 years) in the urban world. NYC for me it was too crowded, the people very aloof, very self centered. The noise of sirens, car alarms, jackhammers and traffic was not acceptable. Waiting in lines wasted way too much of my time. The bank, post office, supermarkets, restaurants, theaters all required mind numbing waits. I owned a car. Parking was nearly impossible and Ive walked 4 or 5 blocks to get home from the parking spot and 4 or 5 blocks back. Walking on streets like 5th Ave, 6th Ave, Madison Av, was a challenge due to the crowds of people, subways jammed with people. Crime was out of control. Infrastructure decaying before my eyes, filthy streets, the stench of homeless people who camped out in subway station entrances, just to point out a few problems.

There was a time, early 80's when I could tolerate it all but as time went on I found it all a lot more unacceptable as time went on.

Orlando wasnt very urban when I got there and stayed very manageable until around 1998. Then the crowding became evident. Waits to get into certain restaurants, long lines at banks and drive-thru lanes. The traffic got out of hand crawling along from John Young Parkway to Semoran Blvd and later beyond. Crime incidents rose fast. Every piece of available land was built on. I saw the writing in the wall and bailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 06:39 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Exactly. But you have some trying to convince others in this thread that FL is clearly superior to CT and the rest of the Northeast....in every way! If only everyone had your attitude.
The northeast had been hemorrhaging population for decades. CT included. The major metro areas like NYC have been clear exceptions

Old 10-30-2016, 07:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The northeast had been hemorrhaging population for decades. CT included. The major metro areas like NYC have been clear exceptions
Population growth is the one stat the Florida supporters keep going to. But it's not about that. The question was which state is the better place to raise a family. Are you really going to try to say that FL is the clear cut winner on that in every category?

But the population! Florida is growing. So it must be better!

Old 10-31-2016, 02:00 AM

181 posts, read 138,845 times
The only thing to do in Connecticut is go to NY. Florida has more options for family fun.
It also gets very cold in Connecticut. So your children will be inside playing video games during the winter there. During the winter in Florida they'd be playing outside in the sunshine with no chance of catching pneumonia.

You should pick your favorite town in Connecticut and your favorite town in Florida. Spend a week in each place so that you can pretend that you live there. Then decide which situation you like better. And I would do that during the winter so that you fully understand the difference in temperature.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:44 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Population growth is the one stat the Florida supporters keep going to. But it's not about that. The question was which state is the better place to raise a family. Are you really going to try to say that FL is the clear cut winner on that in every category?

But the population! Florida is growing. So it must be better!
What does CT have outside of proximity to NYC? Ridiculous taxes. So ridiculous that GE moved its HQ to Boston.

Families need good schools but they also need reasonable taxes.

You know your taxes are bad when someone has to move to Boston to get relief

Old 10-31-2016, 06:25 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamarose View Post
The only thing to do in Connecticut is go to NY.
Nonsense. You can also go to Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and all within less than 2 hours (MA, NJ, NY can be reached in about 1 hour). What is it that you want to do? We have parks, beaches, mountains, attractions... I fail to see what we're missing.

Quote:
Florida has more options for family fun.
Subjective. There are plenty of family friendly things to do in and around Connecticut

Quote:
It also gets very cold in Connecticut.
Cold to you maybe. It gets cold in lots of states. Hell it'll get pretty chilly in Florida too.

Quote:
So your children will be inside playing video games during the winter there.
This is a product of the generation, not because of the temperature outside. I'm 30 years old and grew up through the gaming generations. The only time I spent indoors was after dark. While the sun was up, I was (and so was every other kid) outside, snow or no snow.

Quote:
During the winter in Florida they'd be playing outside in the sunshine with no chance of catching pneumonia.
No chance huh? lol. Exactly why is that?

Quote:
You should pick your favorite town in Connecticut and your favorite town in Florida. Spend a week in each place so that you can pretend that you live there. Then decide which situation you like better. And I would do that during the winter so that you fully understand the difference in temperature.
It's funny you said to choose the winter. I would say, choose the winter for Connecticut and the summer for Florida. Kids who like to play video games will stay inside and play video games despite the temperature outside. Those who like the outdoors, will go outside regardless of the temperature outside. Obviously when it was below zero wind chill I didn't go outside, but this was a rarity.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:22 AM
PDF

^^ And people continue to think FL is king...thinking all there is to do in CT is go to NY. They just don't get it I guess. This is exactly what I mean...you don't see us saying CT clearly blows FL away. But somehow CT is a completely boring state! And yup, if you are gonna visit for a weather test...don't do both in winter. FL summers are absolutely brutal.

I'm not sure why some people have such a problem with the fact that 1) People do enjoy living up North and 2) There is also as much to offer as there is in FL.

But nope....FL is king! Nothing to do in CT at all. And the weather sucks...and so do the taxes! Hmm...I was in CT recently and I came FROM NY. I guess I was inside the whole time.

Seriously, open your eyes. You cannot say FL clearly wins. Those that do are trying to justify their move. Why can't you present a debate based on facts and not "I love Florida! It's the best."?

Old 10-31-2016, 07:23 AM
PDF

Quote:
The only thing to do in Connecticut is go to NY. Florida has more options for family fun.
It also gets very cold in Connecticut. So your children will be inside playing video games during the winter there. During the winter in Florida they'd be playing outside in the sunshine with no chance of catching pneumonia.

Do you understand how hot it gets in FL? Also, the only thing to do in CT is to go to NY? You just lost all credibility.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:25 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
What does CT have outside of proximity to NYC? Ridiculous taxes. So ridiculous that GE moved its HQ to Boston.

Families need good schools but they also need reasonable taxes.

You know your taxes are bad when someone has to move to Boston to get relief
Here we go, another person who think CT has nothing aside from being near NYC. It has been pointed out time and time again the plethora of things close by that matches what you have in FL.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Here we go, another person who think CT has nothing aside from being near NYC. It has been pointed out time and time again the plethora of things close by that matches what you have in FL.
They have on heck of a submarine base. Like FL if you avoid the cities its a nice, albeit expensive place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida