Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Connecticut or Florida a better place to raise a family?
Connecticut 43 50.00%
Florida 32 37.21%
Both are good 11 12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:00 AM

181 posts, read 138,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You are making a huge assumption that those living in the South get used to the heat. I grew up in FL and never once got adjusted to it. The only way to prepare yourself for both climates is to go to CT in the winter and FL in the summer.
The exception proves the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 08:08 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamarose View Post
The exception proves the rule.
No, it doesn't. Plenty of people come visit FL in June/July when they are doing recon...because that is when the weather is at its hottest, so coming then is ideal to see if they can handle it. Telling someone to come in the winter to gauge the temperature is just terrible advice.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:21 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
The thing with Florida and the south in general is that the summer is not that hot to people that live there year round because their blood has thinned or something.
Your blood viscosity does not change based on the temperature. It is regulated by a process called homeostasis.

Quote:
Whatever the reason. I'm not a science person.
Clearly.

Quote:
If a person lives in the south year round it's not that hot to them. It's hotter then winter of course but it does not feel like extreme heat.

When people move to the south they get adjusted to it.
Nonsense. You might get "used" to the heat, but you don't physically change. I never got used to the heat (nearly 6 years living there).

Quote:
I understand that if people move to the north they become adjusted to the cold as well but it's still cold. And too cold to do certain things outside wheather you are adjusted or not.
And for me, it was always too hot to do things outdoors

Quote:
Seems that way to me since it's the northern kids that catch pneumonia the most and they usually catch it in the winter.
You really aren't a person of science, this I can see. You do not catch pneumonia by dressing improperly for cold weather or rain. Depending on the type of pneumonia (viral or bacterial), you can contract it through various means. None of these means have anything to do with the outside temperature.

Quote:
Do you have another theory? Why do you think that northern kids are more prone to things like pneumonia and that they usually catch things like that during the winter?
Germs. If you're in close quarters with others, you can catch pneumonia. Usually this is prevented through coughing, but if you have a compromised immune system, you may still catch it. This is especially true among the young and elderly.

Quote:
I understand that colds are also viruses. But how many northern kids catch colds compared to southern kids? And don't they usually catch them during the winter?
Books are your friend.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Well of course you have parks. All towns, cities and states have parks. But how do they compare to Florida parks?
I've been to plenty of Florida parks. Some are very nice, others not so much.

Quote:
Do you mean theme parks?
I meant "parks" in general in my post. We call them amusement parks when referring to places like Six Flags.

Quote:
You have Hershey Park(boring and 3-4 hours away)
I haven't been to Hershey Park in years. I wouldn't consider this to be an amusement park though.

Quote:
Sesamie St. Playland (super exciting and just as convienent to go to as Hershey Park)
Never been there, wouldn't want to.

Quote:
Six Flags New Jersey (a sh*thole) and Six Flags Massachusetts (a bigger sh*thole)
I quite enjoy these amusement parks. Much better than Busch Gardens.

Quote:
I'm glad to know that you fail to see what you are missing. Ignorance is bliss.
It is you who is the deluded one.

Quote:
Yes! NY is close by. That is a selling point. Please explain why Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and New Jersey are selling points.
It depends on what you want to do in Mass. Boston is a great destination, I love Six Flags, The museums are incredible, I'm not into sports but the stadiums are something else from what I hear. Cape Cod is amazing!

PA isn't a whole lot to see in my opinion. Then again, it is the furthest destination, so I haven't taken too many trips out there.

Rhode Island has gorgeous coastal areas and beaches. Newport, Providence, Block Island.

New Jersey for me has been a place to go for concerts, the board walk, and Atlantic City.

Quote:
Yes you have beaches. Beaches infested with seaweed that has tiny little bugs living in it.
Was just there on Saturday. Hung out on the rocks for about 2 hours. Didn't see any bugs. I've lived up here most of my life and don't know what bugs you are talking about. Seen plenty of bugs in Florida everywhere. Loved finding roaches dead in my sink, that was a highlight for me.

Quote:
Mountains? You do? I thought that Connecticut just had a couple of big hills.
Oh you know... just the Appalachian Mountains, Bear Mountain, Haystack Mountain, Sleeping Giant, Chauncey Peak, Hanging Hills. Just a couple of hills we have here.

Quote:
I don't care how old you are. People started playing Atari in 1977. You are not a product of your generation. You are a product of your environment.
Really? So somehow my parents and their parents spent every moment they could outdoors, location hasn't changed. Yet somehow NOW It's different with NO relation to generation?

Quote:
In the north they are stuck playing video games inside because it's cold there.
They aren't "stuck". They want to play video games. I like video games as well, but I also do things outdoors at all times of year. When it gets REALLY cold, I go skiing.

Quote:
That's why there are few pro athletes that come from Connecticut and there are many that come from the south.
Connecticut is 70 miles by 110 miles. Florida has 8.5 times the population. Hardly a fair comparison. Now if you want to compare the entire northeast with Florida, then fine.

Quote:
And a cold day in Florida is the equivalent to a warm spring day in Connecticut.
And a "normal" day in Florida is a "OMG IT'S HOT AS HELL" in Connecticut.

Quote:
My suggestion to the OP was to spend a week in each place then decide based on what he or she likes better. I believe that was a good suggestion. I don't know why you have a problem with it.
A week was about what I spent in Florida when I convinced myself that I could deal with the heat. It's not so bad! It was especially laughable that the week I chose was in March. HA. Reality didn't take long.

Quote:
I stand by my original statement. The only thing to do in Connecticut is go to NY.
And you're still wrong in the end. Obviously haven't lived here. I however have lived in both locations.

Quote:
I hope you enjoyed tearing apart what I wrote as much as I enjoyed tearing apart what you wrote.
Was fun indeed! Now pick up some science books, it seems you may need them.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:55 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
.............snip
Nonsense. You might get "used" to the heat, but you don't physically change. I never got used to the heat (nearly 6 years living there).
nd for me, it was always too hot to do things outdoors

.................snip
The concept of getting accustomed to the weather is "acclimating". I acclimated pretty quick as we moved from NYC in June. I found the bright sunshine and warm temperatures a lot more tolerable than the stifling haze, heat and humidity that I had experienced in past.

Most people acclimate to the climate they are in, such as those from the Caribbean who relocate to places like NY or other cold climates.

I never did enjoy winter in the 30 years I lived in NYC. I started to dread the coming of winter in September. That haze in the summer made it very uncomfortable for me so living with the sun shine in FL is a bonus to me.

In the winter in the northeast people take down their window screens and put in the storm windows. The oil burner (or other heat source) gets fired up, the thermostat gets set for somewhere in the 60's and the wardrobe changes to parkas, boots, hats and gloves. Dressing in "layers" becomes the standard with the idea once you're indoors you can take off layers to stay comfortable since the indoors everywhere is heated. For me snowfall meant hassle. Wind chill. Ice covered intersections, slippery slush on the roads, shoveling the car out of parking spaces, slipping on ice laden sidewalks, stepping into cold slush when crossing the street and transportation delays.

In the winter in FL all we need to do is shut off the a/c and open the windows.

To each his own.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The concept of getting accustomed to the weather is "acclimating". I acclimated pretty quick as we moved from NYC in June. I found the bright sunshine and warm temperatures a lot more tolerable than the stifling haze, heat and humidity that I had experienced in past.

Most people acclimate to the climate they are in, such as those from the Caribbean who relocate to places like NY or other cold climates.

I never did enjoy winter in the 30 years I lived in NYC. I started to dread the coming of winter in September. That haze in the summer made it very uncomfortable for me so living with the sun shine in FL is a bonus to me.

In the winter in the northeast people take down their window screens and put in the storm windows. The oil burner (or other heat source) gets fired up, the thermostat gets set for somewhere in the 60's and the wardrobe changes to parkas, boots, hats and gloves. Dressing in "layers" becomes the standard with the idea once you're indoors you can take off layers to stay comfortable since the indoors everywhere is heated. For me snowfall meant hassle. Wind chill. Ice covered intersections, slippery slush on the roads, shoveling the car out of parking spaces, slipping on ice laden sidewalks, stepping into cold slush when crossing the street and transportation delays.

To each his own.
The winter is cold / snowy / slushy. It isn't the greatest time for most people up here. This I can admit. I also would rather deal with these elements than Florida's atrocious heat.

There's only so many layers of clothes that you can take off in Florida. I can make myself a walking furnace up here if need be.

Indeed, to each their own.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
I for one never acclimated to the weather. Growing up in Florida, when intense heat and humidity is all you know, once you experience any other kind of weather it is flat out beautiful. Cold weather for me is such a relief. But yes, to each their own.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:57 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Sandy Hook families sue Newtown over failed school security | FOX 61

""NEWTOWN — The families of two of the victims from the Sandy Hook Tragedy are suing the Town of Newtown and its Board of Education, claiming the school did not have enough security in place on December 14, 2012.""

Any questions?
Are you serious???? This could have happened in ANY state. Do you really think your STATE has better security?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:59 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

To each his own.
To each his own is correct. Yet you CONSTANTLY defend your states crap weather in summer.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
No, it doesn't. Plenty of people come visit FL in June/July when they are doing recon...because that is when the weather is at its hottest, so coming then is ideal to see if they can handle it. Telling someone to come in the winter to gauge the temperature is just terrible advice.
We were there in July and while the weather was hotter and more humid than normal, it was not that big a deal.

Then being able to go to the beach and be cooler really made a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida