U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,832,366 times
Reputation: 6981

Advertisements

I think I'm becoming a bird person now also. I love all these birds you guys get to see.!
Beautiful. It has to be food for the soul.

 
Old 02-11-2007, 06:46 PM
 
Location: St Pete -- formally LI, NY
628 posts, read 1,676,321 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Hey, guys (especially Shores):

I was wondering if you could recommend a digital camera. I am starting to get interested in some photography, but I don't have a decent camera. I also don't have a whole lot of money to work with (about $200). All of the pictures I see in this thread are very good quality. Is it possible to get something about as good on my budget?

Thanks
Here are a few considerations:
1- Megapixels - No need to go higher than 6 megapixels. Unless you intend on shooting and printing poster size pictures there is little need.
2- A fast refresh rate. Often times you have the perfect opportunity to take a shot and the camera is not ready. This typically happens just after you snap a shot and your subject moves [into a perfect position] but the camera needs to reset itself before taking the next shot. On some cameras once you take the shot you may have to wait 3, 4, or more seconds until it has processed the information and is ready for the next picture.
3- A traditional view finder can be very helpful. Some cameras in the compact class have eliminated the old fashioned viewfinder in favor of the LCD display. In bright lighting conditions it is hard to see and use the LCD display to frame your picture. Most cameras have the LCD display [bigger is better] and some... also have the traditional viewfinder.
With this in mind I did a little poking around on the net and in the stores and found the Sony W50 to be a good choice. Its under $200 - well made [as are most Sony products] its nice looking and its compact [about the size of a deck of cards]. It shoots about 1.5 shots per second a feature that you would spend a bit more money on [around $400}.

The only caveat for me [personally] is the Sony memory stick. There is nothing wrong with Sony memory stick format in general but it is proprietary to Sony products and if you have other devices that use SD cards or Compact Flash memory cards the memory stick would not be compatable. That being said I would buy it primarily based on the refresh rate and price. You can get as fast a refresh rate or faster in other cameras but not at that price.

Read some reviews on the net and check it out in the stores [Circuit City in Tyrone has them]
 
Old 02-11-2007, 06:53 PM
 
Location: St Pete -- formally LI, NY
628 posts, read 1,676,321 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Today we decided to take a walk on the beach. http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/gramof4/100_0371.jpg (broken link)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/gramof4/100_0352.jpg (broken link)
Grammy Great Shots!!!!!!!! All of the shots in this series are really beautiful but these 2 are my favorite. I agree with vpcats
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Beautiful. It has to be food for the soul.
 
Old 02-11-2007, 07:01 PM
 
Location: St Pete -- formally LI, NY
628 posts, read 1,676,321 times
Reputation: 231
PS Grammy

I really liked that big white bird in the field [a few post back]. You know the one that had a nose that looked like a propeller
 
Old 02-11-2007, 10:42 PM
 
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
381 posts, read 1,549,655 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Here are a few considerations:
1- Megapixels - No need to go higher than 6 megapixels. Unless you intend on shooting and printing poster size pictures there is little need.
2- A fast refresh rate. Often times you have the perfect opportunity to take a shot and the camera is not ready. This typically happens just after you snap a shot and your subject moves [into a perfect position] but the camera needs to reset itself before taking the next shot. On some cameras once you take the shot you may have to wait 3, 4, or more seconds until it has processed the information and is ready for the next picture.
3- A traditional view finder can be very helpful. Some cameras in the compact class have eliminated the old fashioned viewfinder in favor of the LCD display. In bright lighting conditions it is hard to see and use the LCD display to frame your picture. Most cameras have the LCD display [bigger is better] and some... also have the traditional viewfinder.
With this in mind I did a little poking around on the net and in the stores and found the Sony W50 to be a good choice. It’s under $200 - well made [as are most Sony products] its nice looking and its compact [about the size of a deck of cards]. It shoots about 1.5 shots per second – a feature that you would spend a bit more money on [around $400}.

The only caveat for me [personally] is the Sony memory stick. There is nothing wrong with Sony memory stick format in general but it is proprietary to Sony products and if you have other devices that use SD cards or Compact Flash memory cards the memory stick would not be compatable. That being said I would buy it primarily based on the refresh rate and price. You can get as fast a refresh rate or faster in other cameras but not at that price.

Read some reviews on the net and check it out in the stores [Circuit City in Tyrone has them]
Thank you very much for the information. I will look into the camera you mentioned. Right now I am most interested in the Canon A630. It's got a lot of nice features, including a LCD screen that flips out like on a video camera, 4x optical zoom plus 4x digital zoom. It also has 8 megapixels, and most importantly, it's under $225. All the reviews I've read are extremely positive. I will be going over to Best Buy to take a look at it soon.

Thanks so much again.
 
Old 02-11-2007, 10:57 PM
 
Location: St Pete -- formally LI, NY
628 posts, read 1,676,321 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Thank you very much for the information. I will look into the camera you mentioned. Right now I am most interested in the Canon A630. It's got a lot of nice features, including a LCD screen that flips out like on a video camera, 4x optical zoom plus 4x digital zoom. It also has 8 megapixels, and most importantly, it's under $225. All the reviews I've read are extremely positive. I will be going over to Best Buy to take a look at it soon.

Thanks so much again.
Just looked at the specs and read some reviews... looks like a great choice and the price seems great as well.

Good luck
 
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 PM
 
Location: St Pete -- formally LI, NY
628 posts, read 1,676,321 times
Reputation: 231
I was looking at some older shots and found a picture of this arraignment my wife had made with flowers from our back yard Bird of Paradise and Ginger. The shot was a little washed out from the bright background but its a great example of the table arraignments we get right outside our door

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/Shores9/FlowersSC.jpg (broken link)
 
Old 02-14-2007, 07:15 AM
 
1,104 posts, read 3,101,770 times
Reputation: 592
Thank you, Shores9 and vpcats. We really enjoyed watching all the birds Sunday. They all kind of reminded me of penguins (I love penguins) because of their coloring and the way they stay so closely in a group. Here's one more for you.
 
Old 02-14-2007, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Miami
566 posts, read 1,871,674 times
Reputation: 162
Oh me gosh....they are so adorable!!!!!! Look at the hairdo's...ha, ha...
I could just hug & kiss 'em.... What a wonderful thread, showing our beautiful side. Simply love it!

Ohhh...& the bird of paradise arrangement is well....spectacular!

Last edited by lulu; 02-14-2007 at 07:46 AM..
 
Old 02-14-2007, 07:51 AM
 
Location: ♥State of the heart♥
1,118 posts, read 4,375,741 times
Reputation: 839
Blustery, icy, snowy, wintery day here in the Northeast...these pictures are like balm for the soul on a day like this!!! (I wanna hop on a plane and sit under a palm tree now!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top