U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:34 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,802,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have never been prejudiced in my life. Not once. I would rather die. But the people I have encountered will look you in the eye and laugh. They hate us and are invading. It is horrible. They hate America. They want it to be Cuba. Am I right? I am a bleeding heart liberal and I couldn't believe it.

God, I hope they don't delete this.

This was not Miami. This was Fort Myers, Florida.

Hate to tell you but Cubans are one of the cleanest, most greedy, most flashy, most educated of the hispanics. WE like to get ahead and most will work day and night to get there. WE like to show off, we like to travel, we like to dress well, go to good restaurants, have nice cars, and boast about our professions. Cubans have built Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post

Hate to tell you but Cubans are one of the cleanest, most greedy, most flashy, most educated of the hispanics. WE like to get ahead and most will work day and night to get there. WE like to show off, we like to travel, we like to dress well, go to good restaurants, have nice cars, and boast about our professions. Cubans have built Miami.
I wanted to add something to my own previous post.
I will admit that there is a whole new breed of Cubans who, although most have degrees in one field or another, lack many "social" skills because they are coming from a different world. Remember Castro has been in power for almost 50 years. Quality of life in Cuba is horrible but the younger generation doesn't know any better. And in Cuba you don't have to pay for most things as the government gives you your little allowances so they are not used to the same things as us or have the same principles about many things. Not all Cubans are bad and even the newcomers end up having to face life OUR american way of life but we don't lose our roots and the partying is in our blood. We are basically very happy people and we don't want to keep up with the Joneses. We are better than the Joneses
OK.... don't blame Cubans for everything bad. We do good too. Just like you can't blame any other hispanic for the bad things. Every nationality has it's good and bad, just like Americans. It's just humanity.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:31 PM

91 posts, read 113,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
LonelyChicagoan... your comment about the drug runners "smashing their boats in the coral reefs" is soooooooo bad, people may rename you "LOONEYChicagoan".

I mean no offense.... but man this is just too funny. Reading this is making me lagh so hard, my side are about to split! Ha ha ha ha.... LOL OMG... this is too funny!

LonelyChicagoan, South Florida is so bad with crack and pills that you cannot even stop to ask for directions without something thinking you are trying to buy crack.

Who ever told you it is nice? FL is becoming southern California. The good stuff you hear on this board are real estate agents trying to suck you into buying something.

Do some research on FL, man. You may be lonely in Chicago, but at least you are not dead during a home invasion by a crackhead.

FL is no longer, the wonderful, safe, place it used to be. It is violent, expensive, and filled with criminal illegal aliens. These aliens are very dangerous, I work in immigration law.
i have allready been to fort lauderdale before. i took a nearly 8 mile hike through the residential and a few buisness areas and did not have any issues. a lot of the locals that were outside were very friendly to me.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:56 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,729,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post

This is 100% true. There was a Cuban family who moved on my street and stirred up trouble because they didn't like the trees or the messy neighbors. The bragging is amazing, and they drive the most expensive cars they can get. How do they do this? They live like a clan , grandparents to grandkids, completely fill the house. Dad got caught with a load of drugs in the boat and they disappeared. Sanity returned to our street afterwards.

Cubans are predictable, tell them to be somewhere at 8 and they will be there by 9:30. Cuban time is always late. They cut down trees and pave the yard and use the "Cuban broom" (garden hose) to clean up. But no matter how poor, most Cubans keep a clean house inside, very clean. The yard is dead as a desert and stripped, but there's often a maid hired at low pay to clean inside the house.

Miami was built before the Cubans, but they helped create the Miami we know today. Good or bad, who knows?

Old 12-01-2006, 09:08 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,187,201 times
I love the quote about not having to keep up with the Joneses, that they are better than the Joneses. Exactly their attitude.

I have met two Cubans that got out of Cuba as Fidel was taking power. Lovely people. Both said that they were embarassed by the Cubans that came after them.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This is 100% true. There was a Cuban family who moved on my street and stirred up trouble because they didn't like the trees or the messy neighbors. The bragging is amazing, and they drive the most expensive cars they can get. How do they do this? They live like a clan , grandparents to grandkids, completely fill the house. Dad got caught with a load of drugs in the boat and they disappeared. Sanity returned to our street afterwards.

Cubans are predictable, tell them to be somewhere at 8 and they will be there by 9:30. Cuban time is always late. They cut down trees and pave the yard and use the "Cuban broom" (garden hose) to clean up. But no matter how poor, most Cubans keep a clean house inside, very clean. The yard is dead as a desert and stripped, but there's often a maid hired at low pay to clean inside the house.

Miami was built before the Cubans, but they helped create the Miami we know today. Good or bad, who knows?

Where did you say you live Tallrick? I would invite you to come to my neighborhood, or to Coral Gables, or to Pinecrest. See how many cubans fit your description of us. I drive a 99 Honda that I wouldn't trade any time soon. My lawn is picture perfect. My Cuban broom is a vacuum cleaner. My deep cleaning hose is a pressure washer. I know how to read a clock and plan accordingly so I am on time. 8 pm is 8 pm.
We have a sense of family bonds and most people feel very comfortable and lucky to be able to have those close knit bonds.
I have not one, but two, people who clean my house. It's a married couple and so they take half the time but charge twice as much. I work my butt off to pay for that luxury. Better let someone else clean than put my $ into a Hummer.
It's all the attorneys and doctors and business people who broke their backs as dishwashers when they HAD to leave Cuba (trust me NO ONE wanted to leave Cuba) and had to start from scratch here again who helped Miami become an international gateway for the rest of the world.
And, of course, only the Cubans are drug dealers right? Well....I could think of quite a few others who know that game a lot better.
Anyhow, this is not a political forum, nor am I here to put anybody down. But I will stand up when I believe people propagate misconceptions, whether it's about Cubans or Chinese crested dogs!

Old 12-01-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I love the quote about not having to keep up with the Joneses, that they are better than the Joneses. Exactly their attitude.

I have met two Cubans that got out of Cuba as Fidel was taking power. Lovely people. Both said that they were embarassed by the Cubans that came after them.
And I stand by that. That's why we get ahead because of our "nobody is better than I" attitude.
I like my son's alma mater's motto: "We make the mold"
And another one: "My heart is in the work".

Old 12-03-2006, 08:37 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,703,030 times
Default Hi lonelychicagoan--

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelychicagoan View Post
i have allready been to fort lauderdale before. i took a nearly 8 mile hike through the residential and a few buisness areas and did not have any issues. a lot of the locals that were outside were very friendly to me.
I read a few of your posts- I really just want to ask- are you retiring there, or will you be looking for work?

I visited Ft Lauderdale in 1990; it was a cool town; I stayed at the Sheraton.

In 2001 I was living in Boca, and working for the Florida state mediators- near Oakland Oark and Ocean Drive- It was crowded with homeless; and people hanging out at 7-11/drinking/drugs-whatever (gangs? I don't know) .

All I am saying is, I wish a friend had told me these things- things look different when you visit for vacation, and when you are driving in traffic. The turnover and instability is horrible- If you are going to live at an assisted living place, stay out of Dania Beach. just my 2 cents.

sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or