Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 35,759 times

Advertisements

Do not move here! It is filthy and dirty here. The streets are rundown and outdates. Lots of rundown looking bulidings, too many druggies and cracks. There are too many adult oriented thing and nothing for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 35,759 times
Angry It Is TOO DIRTY!

[quote=bjulian;214787]Do not move here! It is filthy and dirty here. The streets are rundown and outdates. Lots of rundown looking bulidings, too many druggies and cracks. There are too many adult oriented thing and nothing for kids.The beaches are not nice, people can't even go to the beaches because they have to be tested for hazardrous chemicals from sewer. It is way too expensive here! Insurances are too high. It used to be a nicer place to live back in the 1950s and 1960s when it was depended on the military.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 60,185 times
My friend just got married and she says it is very hard to get her man to adjust to being married because everyone in the Keys party every day. if that is the kind of lifestyle you want, woo hoo, should be a blast.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 AM

3 posts, read 35,308 times
hmm. I'm about to move to Key West for Federal Law Enforcement purposes. Sounds like it might be pretty good. :-) I'm never married, no kids, just need a lil 1 br apt. somewhere near the airport and I'm set. Are rent prices real bad for a (straight) single guy with his labrador retriever?

Old 01-05-2007, 07:58 AM

45 posts, read 305,426 times
I've lived in Key West for 10 years and love it, we tryed moving out to Venice for something different and hated it. Moved my family right back to Key West. Its all relative to what you do for a living, I've been teaching Scuba and playing drums in bands for the last 10 years. It is very expensive but IMO its worth it, you can't find this lifestyle anywhere else in Florida. Rents in Key West are about $1000. month for a 1 bedroom apt. Housing prices are the lowest I've seen in the last 5 years. Again it all depends on your life style, some people love and some hate it. Come down and visit and you'll know if its for you or not. Thats how I found it. I'll never leave again.
Check out www.keysnews.com classifieds.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:22 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I thought Key West was interesting as a kid, then it became an overpriced Moderator cut: cut . Big Pine was a much better place to live, but I haven't been there in 6 years so who knows anymore.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 AM

45 posts, read 305,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I thought Key West was interesting as a kid, then it became an overpriced Moderator cut: cut . Big Pine was a much better place to live, but I haven't been there in 6 years so who knows anymore.
Big Pine is definetly a much more laid back place and less expensive than Key West, but alot of the work is in Key West if you don't mind the 30 minute commute. Key West is starting to bring back alot of programs for kids. I have a 2 year old and there's not enough time for all the things for kids anymore.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 35,308 times
Default cool, thx

Roger that guys. I'm from Ohio originally, drove west till I ran outta land in '93, spent time in Sonoma and San Francisco Counties, then in 2001-03 was very nearby for the 9-11 in manhattan...was 50 blocks away.

Anyway...the parents (6 year long deal) are deceased now...time to move on. I'm counseled, don't mean to sound callous. It's just better now, a year and a half later.

Anyway...thanks a lot for the input. I'm pretty much coming to Key West, as I confirmed my Federal Appointment, but they might yank me at the last minute, thats the Gov, lol. Thanks for everything.
-Chris

Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Jewel, I would stay away from KeyWest unless you are a major party girl with a huge bankroll. There really are no great beaches in Key West. I know it is hard to believe, but true. It is a small island and very congested. The last time we were there (about 2 years ago) I picked up a real estate flyer and the prices were incredible. Can you imagine paying 300K for a mobile home? I don't think I saw any stick built single family homes for less than 700-800K. Plus I can imagine what Homeowners Insurance must cost there!

I know some people lived in their boats anchored in the harbor. I can imagine that would be great fun for a short term if you're young and adventuresome.

Also, you have to LOVE humidity. Key West in the summer is the most humid place I've ever been. All in all a fun place to visit, but there are other much nicer beach towns to live in.
Actually those boat people tend to be semi-retirees looking for a change in their 50's. Those boats are very expensive, and are basically floating double-wides. They say the boats are loads of fun during hurricane season.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:03 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I wouldn't ever live on Key West, but I would consider living on Big Pine Key, if I didn't have to work for a living. The Florida Keys aren't for everyone, but if you like year-round tropical weather, diving, fishing, and boating, they can be a great place to live.

Sure, the drive from the Keys to mainland Florida takes a couple hours. But where else can you live in the entire United States that has tropical weather almost all year, is surrounded by beautiful water, is a paridise for divers and fishermen, has some very unique local color, isn't plagued with condo high-rises everywhere, and is only a two hour drive from the mainland?
Prichard is right, the Keys aren't exactly hell on earth...not paradise, but sure not hell either. I could think of far worse places to live in, including in Florida. To be semi-retired, with a boat slip under a 2000 sq.ft stilt house in Big Pine, chilling out on the back deck with the laptop, hearing the seagulls and pelicans in the background. I mean, sure beats Cleveland anyway, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida