U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 06:44 AM

772 posts, read 1,623,108 times

Advertisements

Key West Rocks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 09:38 AM

10,101 posts, read 12,158,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
Key West Rocks!!!!
Sure if you are rich and live on Sunset key!

For everyone else it is a tourists paradise while they work a retail/restaurant job and the tourists have all the fun

Old 03-13-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Sure if you are rich and live on Sunset key!

For everyone else it is a tourists paradise while they work a retail/restaurant job and the tourists have all the fun

Hell I am neither rich nor live on sunset key but I do live on big pine and if you are in the know of local bars specials a good time can be had on the cheap. cheap i mean you should be able to get a good buzz and some eats for less than $25. you need to hit the weekday happy hour at tattoos and scars on greene st where they give you a free drink chip for every drink you buy. when that's done at 7 you head around the corner to the lazy gekko for more because their happy hour lasts till 8pm with drink specials and $5 appetizers.
the green parrot has some really good happy hours specials too! you can always buy beers on the street at most duval tshirt shops for 2 or 3 bucks a beer. you want a good time go to Virgilio's for $5 martini Mondays you wont need more than 3 of them. 2 usually does it for me. no matter where you go you always ask if there is a locals discount and usually they give you a discount. If you are really broke go to the liquor store and get a bottle of MD 20/20 or some cheap rum and some coke or a 12 pack of cheap beer. you can keep that in your vehicle or carry a backpack and mix your own drinks. you can walk around on Duval with a plastic cup and most bars will let you in with a plastic cup until 9 or 10pm at night. check the websites of local bars to find out what specials they are having and when before you go. where there is a will there is way. As long as I stay away from the Red Garter, I rarely spend more than $30 to put some food and 5 or 6 alcoholic beverages in my belly whenever i go down to key west. That includes at least $5 for tipping the servers because you can't be that cheap. if you are maybe you should strictly stick to BYOB to Key West.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:10 PM

893 posts, read 551,317 times
Honestly, I love Key West but I could never live there. Too isolated, I'd rather live in Honolulu (though taxes become an issue again).

Miami Beach has nice beaches, all the water activities the keys has (though I agree diving is better down by the keys, especially Largo), similar weather (more inconsistent in January/February and more rain in the summer) but at the same time more nightlife options, more city options, and not as isolated.

I think the Keys only makes sense if you want to "get away" or have a second home to fish.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 878 times
Just spent 2 weeks there and didn't like it. Too hot , too $$ and too immoral

Old 03-14-2016, 07:29 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,702,936 times
Alchoholic Valhalla.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,132,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall61 View Post
If this is really true, then I blame you for doing no research before dropping a ton of money down on a trip. Two whole weeks to go somewhere you know nothing at all about and are not at all suited for? How in the world was it too hot for you in the coldest or near-coldest time of the year?? Depending on when you came, it was somewhere between 60-82 degrees with plenty of breeze, sunshine, and low humidity. The rest of the US was freezing, you could have stayed in any location in the country and it likely would have been colder than here if you can't handle 75 degrees.

It's too "immoral" for you? Why didn't you just stay home and go to your building of worship? Why choose the Keys if you have such a strict moral code? Do you go to Las Vegas and then complain about the gambling and the strippers? Lots of families come to the Keys and have no problem whatsoever, so if you were unable to avoid unsavory elements while here then again, you did no research at all and put yourself in that situation.

Likewise, if it was too expensive to come down, no one made you book it. It should not have come as a surprise to you when you got here that you had to pay for your hotel.

I have compassion for a lot of people, but not people who cause their own problems. 2 weeks is a long vacation. Who has the money and the time to take one, but not the common sense to look up where you're going first?

Old 03-14-2016, 11:50 AM

893 posts, read 551,317 times
Quote:
Too hot, in March?

You wouldn't want it cooler, then you couldn't even swim.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Sorry about your luck

Old 03-20-2016, 06:51 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,744,170 times
Quote:
Then definitely avoid Fantasy Fest weekend if March was too immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida