U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 AM
 
2,150 posts, read 1,158,489 times
Reputation: 4378

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Sorry FL doesn't have handouts to your liking. You're certainly welcome to go back out west or up north where others will foot the bill so you can get stuff free.
Nothing wrong with helping people out or making sure most of your middle class doesn't get wiped out financially from a medical issue. Even with insurance a major issue is easily 10k or more out of pocket. You, me and others may have won the genetic lottery but we can still help those in need that were not so lucky.

Instead of funding more war or offering cuts to people that don't need help we can help everyone. I realize people tend to view them below yourself, inadequate of your help. Let then eat cake and die. Not everyone on assistance is a non working leach. In fact most do work and hard. They deserve help. Not ridicule.

Last edited by aridon; 11-21-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2016, 10:32 AM
 
8,760 posts, read 9,953,316 times
Reputation: 4518
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Nothing wrong with helping people out or making sure most of your middle class doesn't get wiped out financially from a medical issue. Even with insurance a major issue is easily 10k or more out of pocket. You, me and others may have won the genetic lottery but we can still help those in need that were not so lucky.

Instead of funding more war or offering cuts to people that don't need help we can help everyone. I realize people tend to view them below yourself, inadequate of your help. Let then eat cake and die. Not everyone on assistance is a non working leach. In fact most do work and hard. They deserve help. Not ridicule.
Except Medicare Part B is a social insurance program like social security, something we ALL are supposed to pay into. If someone makes the decision to NOT pay into medicare while they are working and able-bodied, why should everyone else pick up the bill? In general, most people have part B because they PAID into it while they were paying into SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 09:33 PM
 
3,457 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Reputation: 2889
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Except Medicare Part B is a social insurance program like social security, something we ALL are supposed to pay into. If someone makes the decision to NOT pay into medicare while they are working and able-bodied, why should everyone else pick up the bill? In general, most people have part B because they PAID into it while they were paying into SS.
No, Part A most people get without paying for out of pocket. They take out the medicare tax from your paychecks when you work for that. Part B is an out of pocket charge Seniors can choose to have or not have. I don't remember how much it will be in 2017 but somewhere around $120 maybe. Most people opt to just have it taken out of their Social Security check and receive a smaller social security check to pay for Part B. If you have not signed up for SS and continue working you would have to send a check to pay for Part B.

Even when you choose to have an Advantage Plan, you pay for Part B . They still take it out of your SS check but the Advantage plan gets that amount instead of SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2016, 05:28 AM
 
8,760 posts, read 9,953,316 times
Reputation: 4518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
No, Part A most people get without paying for out of pocket. They take out the medicare tax from your paychecks when you work for that. Part B is an out of pocket charge Seniors can choose to have or not have. I don't remember how much it will be in 2017 but somewhere around $120 maybe. Most people opt to just have it taken out of their Social Security check and receive a smaller social security check to pay for Part B. If you have not signed up for SS and continue working you would have to send a check to pay for Part B.

Even when you choose to have an Advantage Plan, you pay for Part B . They still take it out of your SS check but the Advantage plan gets that amount instead of SS.
Good call, the fact still remains that it comes out of ss that everyone is supposed to pay into. There is even a "hold harmless" provision to keep Medicare payments from going up when your ss payment doesn't get a COLA

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...android-att-us

Healthcare expenses are something everyone should budget for when they retire, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2016, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Citrus countyFL
322 posts, read 214,754 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
No, Part A most people get without paying for out of pocket. They take out the medicare tax from your paychecks when you work for that. Part B is an out of pocket charge Seniors can choose to have or not have. I don't remember how much it will be in 2017 but somewhere around $120 maybe. Most people opt to just have it taken out of their Social Security check and receive a smaller social security check to pay for Part B. If you have not signed up for SS and continue working you would have to send a check to pay for Part B.

Even when you choose to have an Advantage Plan, you pay for Part B . They still take it out of your SS check but the Advantage plan gets that amount instead of SS.
Actually part B is socialized too. Tax dollars and debt pay for 75% of the premium. The amount that comes out of people's SS check is only 25% of the premium. Same thing goes for Part D.

As for the amount, there will be hundreds of Pt B premiums next year. Ranging from $105/mo to $134/mo for those agung into Medicare next year. Whatever your premium was this year, add the COLA you're getting on your SS check for next year to your premium, and that is what you are paying next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top