Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 09:08 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Murder View Post
I could not have said it better. Nice to see someone tell the truth for once here. The best generation of Americans alive today were born in the 1940s and 1950s. Once these great folks pass on, we're gonna be in for a world of hurt.
Lol don't think you know the definition of generation X. You're thinking of the baby boomers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 09:30 PM

163 posts, read 130,100 times
Florida is not the best place to be poor or uneducated. If you have money, or a good career it is paradise. Cost of living is low, but your average millennial from a safe normal place will not thrive in places that are cheap to live in, in Florida, because a lot of the cheap places in FL are cheap because well, they are dangerous.

I'm from st Pete and living and growing up here is VERY different from visiting. Most of the jobs have to do with tourism and pay close to nothing. The schools are just horrible. It seems everybody is getting high on something, high homeless population, almost no public transit. No one is from here and in the winter the traffic is horrible. Speaking of traffic road rage down here is unlike anything you see anywhere else. People get beat down and even killed for cutting people off. The crime is really really bad, parts of the southside are warzones. Growing up we were robbed multiple times, knew a few people murdered, and shootings were very common. A lot of real weirdos and wiered things happen here. I remember going to a gas station once and watching the police beat a 300 pound old white man covered in mud wearing nothing but but pea drenched whitey tightys and pink socks, wtf? At that same gas station a thug tried to rob and old couple at knifepoint and the 80 year old man pulled out a revolver and shot the thug in his butt. There was a man that would walk around my neighborhood barefoot staring at the sun.

My point is you have to live here to know these things, all that glitters is not gold. However the weather is amazing, the beaches and seafood is 5 star. Palm trees and fruit everywhere. So many cultural attractions, parks everywhere and they are the best in the country. So many 5 star theme parks, zoos, aquariums, and museums everywhere.

Considering the bad and good, living here is like no where else, and I love it.

Last edited by Beardo; 11-24-2016 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 08:33 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup. Us gen X'ers are stuck between the most entitled generation (baby boomers) and the laziest (millennials)

The average gen xer is the child of baby boomers and the parents of millenials. Wonder if the average gen xer describe their parents and children as lazy.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:49 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
You should broaden your realm, Everything you describe has and is happening in cites coast to coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
Florida is not the best place to be poor or uneducated. If you have money, or a good career it is paradise. Cost of living is low, but your average millennial from a safe normal place will not thrive in places that are cheap to live in, in Florida, because a lot of the cheap places in FL are cheap because well, they are dangerous.

I'm from st Pete and living and growing up here is VERY different from visiting. Most of the jobs have to do with tourism and pay close to nothing. The schools are just horrible. It seems everybody is getting high on something, high homeless population, almost no public transit. No one is from here and in the winter the traffic is horrible. Speaking of traffic road rage down here is unlike anything you see anywhere else. People get beat down and even killed for cutting people off. The crime is really really bad, parts of the southside are warzones. Growing up we were robbed multiple times, knew a few people murdered, and shootings were very common. A lot of real weirdos and wiered things happen here. I remember going to a gas station once and watching the police beat a 300 pound old white man covered in mud wearing nothing but but pea drenched whitey tightys and pink socks, wtf? At that same gas station a thug tried to rob and old couple at knifepoint and the 80 year old man pulled out a revolver and shot the thug in his butt. There was a man that would walk around my neighborhood barefoot staring at the sun.

My point is you have to live here to know these things, all that glitters is not gold. However the weather is amazing, the beaches and seafood is 5 star. Palm trees and fruit everywhere. So many cultural attractions, parks everywhere and they are the best in the country. So many 5 star theme parks, zoos, aquariums, and museums everywhere.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:28 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post

My point is you have to live here to know these things, all that glitters is not gold. However the weather is amazing, the beaches and seafood is 5 star. Palm trees and fruit everywhere. So many cultural att
St. Pete is definitely a lot nicer city than it was even 20 years ago. I grew up in Tampa and remember the wild riots in St. Pete back in the day. The whole downtown area now is vibrant and thriving as is the funky Central Ave. district, it all is beautiful and has a great vibe. As far as schools and jobs, St. Pete is not now, or ever was a job mecca, having been conceived as a retirement city, which also explains poor schools. Also, the fact remains it is ranked as one of the most high-crime cities in the entire country - ranking 91st in the country and #10 in the state; and this includes a lot of violent crime.

St. Pete Named 1 of Florida's Most Dangerous Towns - St. Pete, FL Patch

Of course like most towns, most of it comes from certain neighborhoods, but still you have spillover anywhere that is somewhat near the downtown. I don't live in St. Pete, but do like it very much, we even consider moving there occasionally, but I do think people need to be aware that this is a very high crime city, especially if you want to live in any of the "up-and-coming" areas near downtown which are a little close to mid-town. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm a Millennial and have moved around a lot - have lived in MA, IN, IA, TN, VA, and SC. FL is still one of my favorite states
I think I got you beat: AL, AZ, FL, GA, MA, MD, NM, NY, PA, SC, TX + Europe and Asia 5+ years.

Quote:
It seems like I'm one of the few Millennials that actually wants to move to Florida. I hear nothing other than the sprawl, generic nature, etc., but you can find that anywhere.

With a decent economy, low taxes, great access to nature, and great weather, why don't you think FL is on more Millennials' radar?
My wife and I grew up in Miami, we still have relatives scattered in Florida. (Some of them buried there).

We fell in love with the great Southwest after all that moving around... Each time we go back to FL, it's not like when we were growing up, fewer friends, etc.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:30 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I think I got you beat: AL, AZ, FL, GA, MA, MD, NM, NY, PA, SC, TX + Europe and Asia 5+ years.

My wife and I grew up in Miami, we still have relatives scattered in Florida. (Some of them buried there).

We fell in love with the great Southwest after all that moving around... Each time we go back to FL, it's not like when we were growing up, fewer friends, etc.
I think there's a lot of truth in that you can never "go back home again." I moved back from an affluent area around Indianapolis to my small hometown in Tennessee for a job over the summer and to be closer to family. After being in such an affluent area, this area seems a bit backward by comparison, not to mention geographically isolated. I've been gone three years and am 30 - most of my high school and college friends are either married with kids or moved off, and one of my best friends from here is dead. There is very little hanging out like even five years ago. Doesn't seem the same at all.

Florida seems to check a lot of the boxes I want (warmer, no snow, year round greenery, low taxes, less insular culture), and I thought lots of other Millennials may feel the same.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:12 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
I'm a Millennial and have moved around a lot - have lived in MA, IN, IA, TN, VA, and SC. FL is still one of my favorite states - I despise snow, cold weather, and the dead look for four or five months a year. Fairly serious hiker, love nature photography, etc.

It seems like I'm one of the few Millennials that actually wants to move to Florida. I hear nothing other than the sprawl, generic nature, etc., but you can find that anywhere.

With a decent economy, low taxes, great access to nature, and great weather, why don't you think FL is on more Millennials' radar?
My GF and I are millennials who wanted to move to Florida (Orlando), so we did and we love it (from San Francisco). I think it's because it's not far left, also it's not very urban besides a few pockets.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Curious....were you in the service? That is lot of places to live between college or even high school and 34 or are you including places you lived as a kid?

Old 12-02-2016, 08:50 PM

208 posts, read 170,405 times
Living in Tampa myself, I can tell you there is a large population of millenials in this area. Looking at City Data demographics, milllenials are the largest group here. My husband and myself moved down from the Northeast this past summer, we are in our 30s. Since then I have met countless people in their 20s and 30s who have also "just" moved to the area, within the past year. I do agree that one needs to have a career in demand to do well in this state, because minimum wage type jobs won't be enough to support a household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida