Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,336,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward48 View Post
Do you think most people in Florida carry a gun for protection? I am planning to move there, but really I do not know anything about guns.
Thanks
I don't think MOST people in Florida carry a gun.

I do know some do however, its pretty easy to qualify for a license then we always have the proof of the idiots who shoot at each other on the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 02:56 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,002,715 times
Quote:
Do you think most people in Florida carry a gun for protection? I am planning to move there, but really I do not know anything about guns.
Thanks
No, but some do. They aren't the people you need to worry about though. People licensed to carry a concealed firearm have had a criminal background check completed, have met the state requirements and been fingerprinted. They are the law abiding people not the criminals.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:00 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,573,633 times
Quote:
Thanks
Read up about the Castle Doctrine, yes people carry guns here as they do everywhere else. I have been in a few road rage incidents myself by no fault of my own just by trying to avoid an accident by blowing my horn and had nut cases threaten me out of their window along with all the associated hand gestures. I think it's getting to the point where one has to feel afraid to blow their horn to avoid morons who can't drive or break the rules/laws of the road. I have considered carrying a pistol after a few incidents.

The Castle Doctrine allows you to protect yourself in your car, so if someone starting bashing your window in with a bat or tire iron, you could protect yourself along with any occupants using deadly force. The only thing that scares me is if someone starts shooting in self defense they could hit people around them not associated with the incident.

They say the Castle Doctrine is a deterrence, but I don't think a lot of people on the roadways here think that way or are too ignorant to realize, because their actions say otherwise.

Mod deleted search in wilkipedia

Last edited by sunrico90; 02-28-2008 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: copyright material, just the search in the web

Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 AM

564 posts, read 1,865,313 times
I'm glad we're able to have an adult conversation about this. It's refreshing.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 AM

Personally, I don't think its a good idea to rely on a source like Wikipedia for something so important as the gun laws for your state.

Its best to rely on a state website for recommendations and it never hurts to get information from your law enforcement agency.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:40 AM

497 posts, read 1,561,274 times
In Maine it's fairly easy to get a conceal carry permit. You have to take a gun safety course and then pass all the background checks. However, you can walk down the street with a gun that is not concealed without a permit. There was a guy in Portland that had his gun confiscated by the Portland Police Dept. because he was walking around during a children's fair with his gun out. He ended up suing the police chief because he wasn't breaking any laws and he ended up winning his case and the police had to give the guy his gun back. Of course it took over a year for the court case and final decision.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:14 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,573,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Personally, I don't think its a good idea to rely on a source like Wikipedia for something so important as the gun laws for your state.

Its best to rely on a state website for recommendations and it never hurts to get information from your law enforcement agency.
The info in Wiki is accurate but here is more info from the state Govt.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/castledoctrinebill.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-29-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
The info in Wiki is accurate but here is more info from the state Govt.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/castledoctrinebill.pdf (broken link)
It might be accurate today but because it can be updated by anyone, its not considered a reliable resource. When its something minor that doesn't matter but for something like laws governing hand gun use in a given state, it makes more sense to get the information from the horses mouth.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 PM

47 posts, read 149,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
It is prohibited by FL law to carry a concealed firearm in a "nuisance" area....or bad area....."known drug area". Keep that in mind..
You obviously don't have a Concealed Weapons Permit, because you are completely wrong. If such a law existed it would totally defeat the purpose of having a CCW permit.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:17 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,016,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2dive View Post
You obviously don't have a Concealed Weapons Permit, because you are completely wrong. If such a law existed it would totally defeat the purpose of having a CCW permit.
I do ding-dong and that's what they taught us in the course. You cannot carry a concealed firearm in a NUISANCE area. Go back to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida