U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 05:31 PM

313 posts, read 304,749 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it is too late to reply to your post, but G'ville is a pretty quiet town. If you move to the edges of it (like far up North where 441 meets 34th street) you will have peace and quiet.

You DO NOT want to live anywhere outside of G'ville area proper. I am going to receive a lot of hate for this, but quite frankly the surrounding areas are full of rednecks and bible thumpers. Seriously. Don't even consider it unless you feel that is your kind of people.

You could consider, however, MicCanopy which is tiny little town 10 minutes outside of G'ville. But, honestly, why would you want to commute to G'ville for a job when you can live in it? Makes little sense.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:23 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,150,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
I don't know if it is too late to reply to your post, but G'ville is a pretty quiet town. If you move to the edges of it (like far up North where 441 meets 34th street) you will have peace and quiet.

You DO NOT want to live anywhere outside of G'ville area proper. I am going to receive a lot of hate for this, but quite frankly the surrounding areas are full of rednecks and bible thumpers. Seriously. Don't even consider it unless you feel that is your kind of people.

You could consider, however, MicCanopy which is tiny little town 10 minutes outside of G'ville. But, honestly, why would you want to commute to G'ville for a job when you can live in it? Makes little sense.
How tolerant and open minded of you. My family in rural Alachua County would be characterized by you as rednecks based upon where they lived... No bible thumpers and very highly educated.

Are there a high proportions of country folks( both black and white) and bible thumpers? YES!... But there are lots people who, if you took time to know beyond your prejudices, you may find you ACTUALLY like

Last edited by jwolfer; 01-11-2017 at 08:33 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 09:56 PM

23 posts, read 24,386 times
I'm really conflicted about how to approach Putnam County in discussions like this, knowing that this site tends to rank high in Google and people stumble across threads like this and they may be influential.

Part of me absolutely wants to set the record straight and correct ths BS being parroted by people without much insight into Putnam Co... but then there's a part of me that wants Putnam County to remain exactly like it is, that doesn't want to see it overrun with tourists or 'exploring hipsters out to find Authentic Florida' ... so, yeah.

IT'S AWFUL!

REDNECKS AND GHETTO AND A PAPER MILL AND CRIME AND POISONOUS SNAKES!
STAY AWAY!
STAY BACK!
GO TO ST AUGUSTINE!
NOTHING TO SEE IN PUTNAM COUNTY!
BETTER RESTAURANTS AND COFFEE SHOPS IN GAINESVILLE!!!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:40 AM

40 posts, read 51,118 times
I really don't think tourist (or hipsters...way to conservative) will ever be a problem again in Palatka. It is a beautiful town with a great location but has been left to deteriorate for too long. I would love to purchase a riverfront home there but decided against it after visiting many times a year from St Augustine and realizing it was almost a cultural ghost town. Aside from the few festivals a year, the river and ravine gardens there isn't much going on there.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:02 PM

197 posts, read 157,169 times
Many people dont know this but Whoopi Goldberg, not her real name of course, but she lived there (Palatka) as a child until about 5 years old. Whoopi's mother was born and raised in Palatka as were Goldberg's grand-parents, who were children of slaves there or they migrated to Palatka from South Carolina. Goldberg's mother moved to NJ or NY when Whoopi was about 6 years old.

Whoopi Goldberg never talks about this, who knows why. Maybe she feels shame where her true roots are. But Palatka is where she is really from as is all her past family.

She changed her name to Whoopi Goldberg to move away from the shame of being born and raised in Palatka and to help her break in to the entertainment industry. Goldberg's born name is Bertha Jackson.

Last edited by Ms. Intelligence; 01-22-2017 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 PM

18,173 posts, read 12,467,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
How tolerant and open minded of you. My family in rural Alachua County would be characterized by you as rednecks based upon where they lived... No bible thumpers and very highly educated.

Are there a high proportions of country folks( both black and white) and bible thumpers? YES!... But there are lots people who, if you took time to know beyond your prejudices, you may find you ACTUALLY like
It is easier for some to insult people they do not agree with/like than it is to be a good neighbor.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:00 PM

197 posts, read 157,169 times
My brother lives and loves Putnam County, he has a big Ranch in Hastings.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:29 PM

23 posts, read 24,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oystercreek View Post
I really don't think tourist (or hipsters...way to conservative) will ever be a problem again in Palatka. It is a beautiful town with a great location but has been left to deteriorate for too long. I would love to purchase a riverfront home there but decided against it after visiting many times a year from St Augustine and realizing it was almost a cultural ghost town. Aside from the few festivals a year, the river and ravine gardens there isn't much going on there.
It's an inevitable turnaround and it's already starting to happen.

Gone are the days of $40,000 Fixer-Upper Victorians in Palatka. Now they're $150K and $200K if you can see the river. $300K, $400K for nice ones (that rarely come up for sale)

The major driving factor is right next door. St Johns County is now the wealthiest community in Florida (highest median household income, highest median family income and 2nd highest per capita income) and growing at a fairly insane clip (between 50%-60% every decade for the past 4 decades)

Palatka is a mere 30 minutes away and Putnam Co is already experiencing St Johns County Bleed, particularly among people who prefer acreage which has gotten impossibly expensive in most parts of St Johns Co.

I remember $50,000 houses in downtown St Augustine that now sell for $1,000,000. Will Palatka ever reach that? No, it's not going to ever go 'full St Augustine' in my lifetime, it doesn't have the same things going for it that St Aug did prior to it going bananas, but remember you made this post about Palatka 20 years from now and check back in. Palatka, now, may not be where you want to buy a retirement house if you're 65 but a 35 year old might find his dollar going further, now, and growing faster in the future in a nice river area community over the bridge and South of 17 in Palatka compared to some random Eagles Landing Way Nest Cove Run Del Boca Vista Del Mar tract development in St Aug.

Last edited by Zinka; 01-22-2017 at 11:43 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 08:49 AM

40 posts, read 51,118 times
I agree with you 100% about the future property potential in Palatka. Im 32 now and own a Victorian near downtown St Augustine. My reason for looking in Palatka was potential for a retirement home to fix up and enjoy when im older. I figure by the time im in my 60's ill be less worried about being close to beach to surf and more interested in getting away from crowds and going fishing on the river. Time will tell I guess but as for now Palatka just isn't for me. I also agree that the cookie cutter homes sprinkled around st johns county will never reach the appreciation that is possible in any downtown home. St Johns is growing to fast for its own good and god help us if there is another housing recession because its going to hit this area hard and fast.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:03 AM

9,973 posts, read 5,289,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Intelligence View Post
Many people dont know this but Whoopi Goldberg, not her real name of course, but she lived there (Palatka) as a child until about 5 years old. Whoopi's mother was born and raised in Palatka as were Goldberg's grand-parents, who were children of slaves there or they migrated to Palatka from South Carolina. Goldberg's mother moved to NJ or NY when Whoopi was about 6 years old.

Whoopi Goldberg never talks about this, who knows why. Maybe she feels shame where her true roots are. But Palatka is where she is really from as is all her past family.

She changed her name to Whoopi Goldberg to move away from the shame of being born and raised in Palatka and to help her break in to the entertainment industry. Goldberg's born name is Bertha Jackson.
These must be what is now known as "alternative facts."

Her birthplace consistently comes up as New York City and her birth name as Caryn Johnson. I knew someone named Karen Johnson who worked on a movie with her and they had some fun with the names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida