U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:46 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,106 times

Advertisements

Here is a basic rundown of what is good and what is bad in Orlando, FL (and the Florida Metropolitan areas as a whole):

Please Note: Comments welcome. This will be my last FL thread, as people will believe whatever they want to belive anyway. It is a waste of my time trying to help people and have to argue over topics with realtors and old retiree dreamers of "days gone by in Florida". It is what it is NOW.

First let's do the good and the bad. The Ugly will go on my next posting. Have fun posting, fellas!

The Good:

*Winter weather: That is, in fact, why people move down here for. It is beautiful!! It gets cold, but no snow and it is sunny. Most people enjoy this season the most, as they can actually be outdoorsy and have fun (summer is too hot and muggy).

*No state income tax: It helps, specially for the tax-oppressed folks in OH, NY, MA.

*Previouly affordable: people who have been here for a while and got a house before 2001 or so, are doing ok now, other than their insurance costs and staggering salaries.

The Bad:

*Traffic: Interstate 4 (I-4) is chaotic at best. It is bumper to bumber even on Sunday afternoons. It is a nightmare. We need 1 and 1/2 hours to drive 15 miles. Insane. Road rage and the "NJ State Salute" (the finger) is normal.

*Urban sprawl: it is very crowded. It is getting so built up, the green areas, the nice lakes are all being fenced in and are now private property. This is also causing people to be angry at each other.

*Illegal aliens: You tend to think "hardworking folks at Taco Bell" when you think aliens, right? Well, not so. They drive without licenses and no insurance and cause wrecks and then they try to run. They also steal people's identities and cause the victims lots of pain. Their kids pack the schools and causes even lower test scores. Another issue is the crime they cause, which is really on the rise. Yes, alienc cause a lot of crime, unlike the sugar coated amnesty crowd likes to portray it. Look at the statistics. Google "illegal alien crime". I used to work in Immigration law... I have seen it all.

*Property taxes: If you see some homeowner paying $3k in property tax, get ready once you buy it, because the old owner is "grandfathered" in the old tax system (called Save Our Homes law). Once you buy, the county will slap you with a super-high tax, which will only stabilize after a few years with the Save Our Homes thing. But be ready to shill out ayt least $7k on a simple house in FL.

*Weather from Mid-April to Mid-December: It is misery. The humidity (which is usually at 95%) is oppressive. You sweat like a pig. The temp at 7am is around 75 degrees, then it peaks around 12pm to about 90 - 110 degrees (heat index) and even after dark it stays on the upper 80s and low 90s. I am talking at 10PM and later for the upper 80s "cooldown". The weather really sucks this time of the year.

*Rent cost: Go to ForRent.com and ApartmentRatings.com and see for yourself. $1,100 for the cheapest apt in MetroWest. The cheaper ones are usually in the ghetto or gov't housing.

*Staggering wages: FL creates the most job in the nation, but guess what? They are low-paying tourism/service industry jobs. Stuff like housekeeping, hotel pool guy, gas stations, some construction (what is left after the illegals atke the jobs), fast food, etc. The surplus of people in Fl is causing employer to pay less and less (supply and demand). We also have something called "Sunshine tax" or "Sunshine Dollars" (we have a "priviledge" to live in FL) which is what employer say to justify low pay. Disney, for example, starts everyone at $7.50 - $8.00 tops. Try renting an apt. not in the ghetto and still be able to buy food on that kind of pay!

*Disappearing middle class: It is a reality. Lots of people move down to FL and then move back to their home states, because the cost of living is so high. FL is becoming southern California. You are either rich and live well or you are poor and live in the ghetto. There is a middle-class squeeze going on here. Young couples (like us), families with kids, are suffering because of the cost of living. They get pushed farther and farther out of town, forcing them to long commutes just to make ends meet. If you are a middle class family or couple, STAY AWAY or you will be stuck here in semi-poverty after you pay all your bills. Cost of living here is very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 01:47 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
Thumbs down The ugly....

Now, for what we have been waiting for....

The Ugly:

*Crime: It is rampant and out of control. The illegal aliens flocking down here help form the infamous MS-13 gangs they have in California. Murders are so common, it is getting old, I am desensitized to it. Carjackings are an epidemic because of crack users... they get desperate for cash and they will kidnap you for $20 worth of rock. I see them on TV talking from the back of the police car... they cannot even recall what they did (the heinour crimes they commit) because of the crack they smoked. It is a daily thing, just check the local news (www.wesh.com or www.wftv.com) (broken link).

*Homeowner's Insurance: I heard soem BS in the forum in regards to "newer homes have low insurance". BULL! It is high across the board. Citizen's insurance want to jack up their rates in Jan 2007 by 110%. That means EVERYONE will get slammed. This is a crisis and people are losing their homes over this. Costal folks cannot even get insurance or get dropped by their existing insurance carriers because of hurricanes in 2004 and 2005.

*Hurricanes: Although 2004 and 2005 were record hurricane seasons, they are still rare. But when they do happen, get ready! It will be hell. You have to shop for groceries, water, supplies, which are always scarce during these times. Damage to homes mean an incurance claim, which mean higher premiums. Plus when you lose power, if you don't have a generator, it will be misery. Oh, careful because desperate people STEAL generators during those times. Chain yours to a safe, visible place.

Best of luck to you. Make sure you research before you buy. Careful, the realtors on this board are lying through their teeth to get you to buy something (sales are bad this year).

Chris,
Orlando, FL --> not for long.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:33 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,227,277 times
Default America's Worst Highway Bottlenecks

Listed below are the top 10 worst highways in the USA. I-4 is not in the top 10 or on the list from Infoplace. I have experienced I-4 and is bad.

But Christian11 make some great points, Orlando is a victim of tourism and will continue to be like this for ever. The climate is better than many other states and because of the parks, weather is not a factor. We had people driving to Florida to see and feel the force of a hurricane.

Illegals are a big concern, but greater concern should be the companies that employ these individuals. They are the root case of the problem. if we don't employ the individual they will move out. But we like cheap labor and this is our own fault, so we can complain.

Christian11 continue to post, we have all polarities of individuals in the forum. Everyone will post their views/opinions. I did enjoy your comments

Rank --- City --- Freeway--- Location--- Vehicles Per Day--- Annual Hours of Delay
1. Los Angeles US-101 US-101 (Ventura Fwy) at I-405 Interchange 318,000 27,144
2. Houston I-610 I-610 at I-10 Interchange (West) 295,000 25,181
3. Chicago I-90 I-90 I-90/94 at I-290 Interchange ("Circle Interchange") 293,671 25,068
4. Phoenix I-10 I-10 I-10 at SR-51/SR-202 Interchange ("Mini-Stack") 280,800 22,805
5. Los Angeles I-405 I-405 I-405 (San Diego Fwy) at I-10 Interchange 296,000 22,792
6. Atlanta I-75 I-75 I-75 at I-85 Interchange 259,128 21,045
7. Washington (DC-Md.-Va.) I-495 I-495 I-495 at I-270 Interchange 243,425 19,429
8. Los Angeles I-10 I-10 I-10 (Santa Monica Fwy) at I-5 Interchange 318,500 18,606
9. Los Angeles I-405 I-405 (San Diego Fwy) at I-605 Interchange 318,000 18,606
10. Atlanta I-285 I-285 at I-85 Interchange ("Spaghetti Junction") 266,000 17,072

Old 11-30-2006, 05:07 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,024,048 times
Lets keep it on topic folks. He has the right to his opinions of a state just as you all do. He didn't break any rules in the posts.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Lets keep it on topic folks. He has the right to his opinions of a state just as you all do. He didn't break any rules in the posts.
Thank you. I am just trying to alert middle class folks of the issues. I am leaving FL, but if you have tons of cash, it is not bad at all. I don't have tons of cash, but I work hard, I pay taxes, and I want to help.

Have fun! Life's too short!

Chris

Old 11-30-2006, 10:09 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,227,277 times
What is the root cause of the Ugly?
*Crime:

*Homeowner's Insurance:

Old 12-01-2006, 10:07 AM

42 posts, read 57,038 times
From what I understand, one reason is that a lot of the criminals, finding life to rough even for them in South Florida have moved up to the greener pastures of Central Florida to try their luck in their life of crime up here. . .

Old 12-01-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky View Post
From what I understand, one reason is that a lot of the criminals, finding life to rough even for them in South Florida have moved up to the greener pastures of Central Florida to try their luck in their life of crime up here. . .
The criminals are doing quite well in Central Florida. They are very popular locally, they dominate the local news.

I think we could deport a lot of them and the rest, we need to get them locked up. Well, I take it back, if we deport some of them, they just come back a week later.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:00 PM

55 posts, read 207,271 times
Chris....you rock! Everything you said is exactly what we've been thinking. We're selling our home and moving also. I know a lot of people love it here...good for them and may they enjoy it forever! We're over it.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Thanks! New article on FL Foreclosures

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath2210 View Post
Chris....you rock! Everything you said is exactly what we've been thinking. We're selling our home and moving also. I know a lot of people love it here...good for them and may they enjoy it forever! We're over it.
Thanks Kath!

We have 2 FL cities in the top 10 most forclosures in the USA.

(http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/)

You will see that some of those are because of things we have been discussing on these forums: hard to get good paying jobs, expensive homeowner's insurance, high property taxes, high rents, etc.

Thanks for reading and keep posting!

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or