Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 12:02 AM

81 posts, read 118,675 times

Advertisements

I've been researching areas to live in Florida, since I got family here. Believe me, I'd rather live in Georgia or Alabama. I do not like all the development in Central Florida, so I've been looking at areas in both the Panhandle & the nature coast from Levy County on north. If I do move to one of these areas, will the area keep their small town charm & southern culture I like, or will it turn into another central Florida with it's fast paced culture, wall to wall concrete, big crowds, & bad traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 AM

383 posts, read 340,331 times
Try Moscow. Only 500 miles from St.Petersburg, no traffic, no crowd =) Joke!

Old 12-15-2016, 02:24 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,314,554 times
My experience w/ the panhandle resulted in mostly rednecks and racists, not Southern charm and friendliness. If you really want to go there and not worry about development, Panama City might fit the bill. It's not a particularly friendly town and there is little interesting going on, so I cannot see people moving there in large numbers to develop anything.

Jacksonville may be what you're looking for? I think the idea of the small Southern town w/ polite, friendly people is an obsolete notion. Those places seem to be small minded and insular, and not places I would wish to live in. This nation has become so polarized that you either get liberal cities w/ lots of people moving there (or what passes for liberal down here), or you get Republican enclaves that few people wish to move to. I cannot think of one conservative and Republican city that is rapidly developing.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:03 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,212,974 times
Stick to the middle of the state, away from the coasts (and Orlando, of course).

Old 12-15-2016, 06:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,204,693 times
There are towns throughout FL - central where there's still charm and things are slower paced with the country feel.

5 Old Florida Towns on State Road 70: Gulf of Mexico to Atlantic Ocean

6 Old Florida Towns on US-17 South of I-4

Old 12-15-2016, 07:31 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,969,207 times
There are parts of Lake County that can work: Paisley, Umatilla, Altoona, Astatula, and then farther up places like Crescent City. Then you have parts of Sumter County: Bushnell, Webster, Ridge Manor, Center Hill...

Old 12-15-2016, 08:30 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,584,006 times
I agree with what's been posted so far. What specifically do you not like about FL, apart from the crowds, and is it the crowds you don't like or the way things are built?

Homosassa Springs is the only metro in FL with a decline in population this decade (-.13%), cost to live there is reasonable, and it's not out of Central Fl completely which is I guess where your family is correct?

These are the other metros in FL that haven't yet hit 7% population growth (I.E. explosion) this decade: Pensacola, Ocala, Daytona, Brevard, Gainesville, Tallahassee. Those places (with the exception of the space coast, which when it links to Orlando MSA fully will boom) likely will grow, but not at the rate of other places further south IMO.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:53 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,212,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I agree with what's been posted so far. What specifically do you not like about FL, apart from the crowds, and is it the crowds you don't like or the way things are built?

Homosassa Springs is the only metro in FL with a decline in population this decade (-.13%), cost to live there is reasonable, and it's not out of Central Fl completely which is I guess where your family is correct?

These are the other metros in FL that haven't yet hit 7% population growth (I.E. explosion) this decade: Pensacola, Ocala, Daytona, Brevard, Gainesville, Tallahassee. Those places (with the exception of the space coast, which when it links to Orlando MSA fully will boom) likely will grow, but not at the rate of other places further south IMO.
Space coast has already started booming IMO, just look at all of the new jobs and pop growth near the suntree/viera area. traffic is quite obnoxious at times.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:03 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,737,263 times
Best place to live in Florida that won't get developed or too crowded

Think about the contradiction of what you are asking.

About the only 'good' place to live in Florida that won't get developed or two crowded -- is a place where the growth is restricted by natural water boundaries... such as a barrier island (ie; Space Coast) or a private development (Marco Island, Tortoise Island, etc). Otherwise, most of the beach towns and desirable areas of Florida are being developed and re-developed until there is no room for further development.

The Keys have the requisite natural boundaries, but have also been overbuilt and over-developed to the point where people are living on top of one another and unable to support the cost of living ... with available jobs.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,204,693 times
the small rural towns in Central FL (Lake Wales, Wauchula, Sebring) aren't being developed and have the necessities (medical, some shopping)....good for folks not needing jobs (ie retired, pensioners, social security folks.

you give up being close to amenities like airports, cultural events, beaches when you decide to live inland/rural though.....

Ocala, Palatka and Outside of Gainesville are also areas to consider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida