U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:26 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,859,380 times

Advertisements

The solution: move out of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 05:31 PM

320 posts, read 213,320 times
Walnut Hill.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:15 PM

81 posts, read 70,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
The big question is do you need a job?

If yes, you need to be somewhat close to a major employment center in a county with at least a couple hundred thousand people. That doesn't mean you can't have live a rural lifestyle. Lots of people work in Gainesville and live in the more rural areas within 30-45 minutes (Newberry, High Springs, Alachua, Micanopy, Williston, Bronson).

If you want insurance against developers, buy acreage. You mentioned Levy County. You can buy a home on 20 acres for under $200k there. If you aren't picky and are fine with a mobile home, that could be closer to $125k and still be within 45 minutes of employment centers and medical in Gainesville.
I was considering Dixie County too. I can always get on 26 & make the 45 minute drive east into Gainesville every day for work. I'd rather do that than have to live in another city. I don't mind mobile homes either. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm familiar with this area too.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:10 PM

509 posts, read 821,226 times
I think you should check out Chiefland (Levy County) and Trenton (Gilchrist) as well if you like Dixie County. Chiefland has good retail options (Super Walmart, Winn Dixie, CVS, bunch of fast food restaurants). Trenton is a better commute into Gainesville but has very little of anything in retail/restaurants.

You should make a trip and check out the area. You really can't go wrong with Dixie/Gilchrist/Levy if you want rural and to escape development. There's nothing in these counties that suggest any kind of massive population growth in the near or distant future. They are far away from I-75, the Atlantic beaches, the pretty gulf beaches are down near St. Pete. They are simply not on any developers radar.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:16 PM

16,073 posts, read 9,249,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post

There's an old saying: "your mileage may vary." Close-mindedness and intolerance can exist where you least expect.
Usually those who find it are looking in a mirror.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:57 AM

14,656 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Usually those who find it are looking in a mirror.
Truer words were never spoken!^^^

Old 12-24-2016, 09:38 AM

11,545 posts, read 8,124,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I think you should check out Chiefland (Levy County) and Trenton (Gilchrist) as well if you like Dixie County. Chiefland has good retail options (Super Walmart, Winn Dixie, CVS, bunch of fast food restaurants). Trenton is a better commute into Gainesville but has very little of anything in retail/restaurants.

You should make a trip and check out the area. You really can't go wrong with Dixie/Gilchrist/Levy if you want rural and to escape development. There's nothing in these counties that suggest any kind of massive population growth in the near or distant future. They are far away from I-75, the Atlantic beaches, the pretty gulf beaches are down near St. Pete. They are simply not on any developers radar.
That is a perfect area. Or go east to Bronson or Williston. I love that whole area. Or go south to Glades county.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:56 AM

112 posts, read 353,325 times
Take a look at the St. Leo area north and east of Tampa. It is a small old Florida town built around a monastery. San Antonio is also a nearby town that has retained it's original Florida charm. More populated is the Gainesville, Micanopy area but youthful and vibrant with good parks and recreation nearby. Toward the central gulf side is Inverness and Dunellon...they are growing but still have small town charm. The panhandle is beautiful but as one already said, it leaves a lot to be desired in the social department. The entire area down to Panama City is know as Redneck Riviera. Who knows? That could be what you find to be comfortable to you but I like the best of all worlds -- quiet, charm, natural beauty, less development, close to the beach -- but I MUST have access to culture and minds that think in the 21st century!! best of luck. i AM LOOKING FOR SAME BUT FLORIDA IS ALMOST OVERDONE....and has inherent problems with water and sinkholes because aquifers are drying up. The density in some areas is not only very unattractive but creates impactive issues like crime...stay away from Orlando, period. BTW ..if you didnt know, the state charges a hefty sum of money when you buy a new home, called IMPACT FEES.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:20 PM

81 posts, read 70,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis7 View Post
Take a look at the St. Leo area north and east of Tampa. It is a small old Florida town built around a monastery. San Antonio is also a nearby town that has retained it's original Florida charm. More populated is the Gainesville, Micanopy area but youthful and vibrant with good parks and recreation nearby. Toward the central gulf side is Inverness and Dunellon...they are growing but still have small town charm. The panhandle is beautiful but as one already said, it leaves a lot to be desired in the social department. The entire area down to Panama City is know as Redneck Riviera. Who knows? That could be what you find to be comfortable to you but I like the best of all worlds -- quiet, charm, natural beauty, less development, close to the beach -- but I MUST have access to culture and minds that think in the 21st century!! best of luck. i AM LOOKING FOR SAME BUT FLORIDA IS ALMOST OVERDONE....and has inherent problems with water and sinkholes because aquifers are drying up. The density in some areas is not only very unattractive but creates impactive issues like crime...stay away from Orlando, period. BTW ..if you didnt know, the state charges a hefty sum of money when you buy a new home, called IMPACT FEES.
I agree with you about Florida being overdone. Another town I drove through I like in central Florida was Howie in the Hills. How would that town be?

Old 12-30-2016, 05:23 AM

320 posts, read 213,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin230 View Post
I agree with you about Florida being overdone. Another town I drove through I like in central Florida was Howie in the Hills. How would that town be?
All of Lake County is in the midst of being hyper-developed. It is the reason i am moving farther north in the state (i currently live in Clermont, about 30min from Howie). Howie is a nice small town, but it wont stat that way long.

Last edited by RedneckRebel; 12-30-2016 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or