U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 02:34 PM

21,114 posts, read 30,189,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin230 View Post
I agree with you about Florida being overdone. Another town I drove through I like in central Florida was Howie in the Hills. How would that town be?
Look a bit further west at towns like Bushnell or Webster in Sumter County. Nothing is going to happen there anytime soon, and certainly not within our lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 03:52 PM

25,959 posts, read 28,359,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Best place to live in Florida that won't get developed or too crowded

Think about the contradiction of what you are asking.

About the only 'good' place to live in Florida that won't get developed or two crowded -- is a place where the growth is restricted by natural water boundaries... such as a barrier island (ie; Space Coast) or a private development (Marco Island, Tortoise Island, etc). Otherwise, most of the beach towns and desirable areas of Florida are being developed and re-developed until there is no room for further development.

The Keys have the requisite natural boundaries, but have also been overbuilt and over-developed to the point where people are living on top of one another and unable to support the cost of living ... with available jobs.
Yep. It's a typical "I want to have my cake and eat it, too" CD thread.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:49 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,796,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yep. It's a typical "I want to have my cake and eat it, too" CD thread.
Yup, a less common variation of the "I'm sick of cold weather, help me find a cheap place near the beach with good schools and good jobs"thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,778,625 times
The Villages

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 01-02-2017, 05:33 PM

825 posts, read 1,016,103 times
It's really quite simple to find areas of Florida not undergoing rapid development. They are the less desirable places to live with fewer/no economic opportunities and far from the beach. Real estate values are very reasonable in these areas, but they are going to involve a trade off. If you need to work, you are going to have a longer commute. If you don't need to work, you are going to have to live without a lot of the amenities (shopping, restaurants, hospitals, doctors, high speed internet) available in the larger metro areas.

Here's a map of the low population growth areas of Florida. They are in the light pale shades of green. You'll find Citrus, Levy, Dixie counties standout as rural counties yet close to major services and employment centers in Gainesville and Ocala you can commute to. There's also the rural counties that ring the Jacksonville suburbs such as Putnam, Union, Bradford that would allow you to commute into Jacksonville for work yet still live a rural lifestyle.

There's also Hardee/Hendry counties in southwest Florida that would allow a commute into Ft.Myers/Sarasota for work and Okeechobee County for Palm Beach/St. Lucie.

That's about it for Florida. Everywhere else is currently in high growth mode and will eventually get eaten up. Eventually people will look to these rural counties too but they are probably a decade or two away from high growth as there's just so much more low hanging fruit to develop before.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net...lation_map.jpg

Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,296,310 times
It really depends on what you want. The only parts of Florida that won't get developed are in central FL away from the coasts. As another poster said, you'll be looking at areas like Sebring,Wauchula, or Arcadia. There aren't "Small towns" in Florida per se, as there are in other states.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:48 AM

153 posts, read 147,086 times
That's about it for Florida. Everywhere else is currently in high growth mode and will eventually get eaten up. Eventually people will look to these rural counties too but they are probably a decade or two away from high growth as there's just so much more low hanging fruit to develop before.

And this is why I keep saying to people that Florida will be the first state in America to be completely built out during our lifetime. The entire state will be covered in concrete from one end to the other. Greed and funny money destroyed the place. Glad I left when I did. The whole thing is sad. I wish I could have seen the state during an era where the population was half of what it is now.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:32 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,920,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post

And this is why I keep saying to people that Florida will be the first state in America to be completely built out during our lifetime. The entire state will be covered in concrete from one end to the other. Greed and funny money destroyed the place. Glad I left when I did. The whole thing is sad. I wish I could have seen the state during an era where the population was half of what it is now.
There is a lot of Florida that is not developed now. Good portions of Northern and Central Florida are conservation land and is not likely to ever be like SE Florida

Have you ever been to states like NJ, CT, RI or MA. Much more development.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:32 PM

6,123 posts, read 3,055,712 times
And I doubt the Everglades will ever allow Miami-adjacent sprawl to move much further west. A lot of the development in southeastern Florida would not exist (or at least continue) if the Everglades were destroyed or tampered with on a large scale. Also, a lot of land owned by farms generates more wealth as farmland than it would as tract housing.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:43 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,920,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
And I doubt the Everglades will ever allow Miami-adjacent sprawl to move much further west. A lot of the development in southeastern Florida would not exist (or at least continue) if the Everglades were destroyed or tampered with on a large scale. Also, a lot of land owned by farms generates more wealth as farmland than it would as tract housing.

I neglected to mention the Everglades... Flying out of Miami at night its amazing how the urban jungle of South Florida just ends... then there is nothing. Most cities, even other Florida cities like Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville sort of think out from dense urban zones to suburban to exurban to farms, forest and wilderness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or