U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 07:56 AM

7,038 posts, read 8,636,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
. In fact, I'd like to see an Alabama vs Dolphins match up, but the NFL knows better than to let something like that happen :]
More like the ncaa. The tide would get destroyed by the browns let alone the fins lol.

No, Alabama Can
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 08:54 AM

351 posts, read 325,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
More like the ncaa. The tide would get destroyed by the browns let alone the fins lol.

No, Alabama Can
And there will be some crying kids with helmets left on the field after the game.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:47 AM

2,960 posts, read 1,909,547 times
I think it would be interesting what that would turn out to be. So much of it down here I think reflects upon recent results, as alumni loyalties and such haven't been built up. Obviously, Florida State winning the National Championship most recently I think has an impact, but I'd still say if I had to pick one team that has the role of "State's Team" it would probably be UF. UMiami probably carries at least Miami-Dade and Broward, but not heavily so, as they rarely are able to sell out, that was true even when they were dominant. USF, FAU, and FIU seem to have not quite built up much in the way of fanbase yet, but with each having a more prominent coach now than UF has, that could change. Orlando is quite divided, but I think I remember there being a county by county poll for college sports, and I believe UCF carried Orange and Seminole counties, whereas I don't believe the other 3 carried any counties. I would venture everywhere more than about a half hour north of Gainesville (with the exclusion of Jacksonville, which is split), would be for FSU, though, FSU has to contend for that area with Alabama and Auburn. Florida is a divided state on this though, which is what makes it so interesting. Even though UF could probably lay claim to having largest fanbase in the state, there are so many other teams in the state, and so many people from elsewhere in the state that keep their loyalties, that I would venture that out of the CFB fans in the state of FL, at least 75 percent, maybe more, are not Gators fans.

The Most Unscientific Way of Doing This Possible (Facebook Likes, rounded):
Florida: 1.6 Million
Florida State: 600 Thousand
Miami: 450 Thousand
UCF: 200 Thousand
USF: 50 Thousand
Florida Atlantic: 16 Thousand
Florida International: 8 Thousand

2016 Football Attendance (Avg.), (+/-), (%):
Florida: 87,846, -2%, 99%
Florida State: 76,800, +5%, 93%
Miami: 58,572, +23%, 90%
USF: 37,539, +41%, 57%
UCF: 35,802, +16%, 81%
Florida International: 16,792, +9%, 84%
Florida Atlantic: 10,073, -43%, 34%

Last edited by cavsfan137; 12-29-2016 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 PM

453 posts, read 171,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I think it would be interesting what that would turn out to be. So much of it down here I think reflects upon recent results, as alumni loyalties and such haven't been built up. Obviously, Florida State winning the National Championship most recently I think has an impact, but I'd still say if I had to pick one team that has the role of "State's Team" it would probably be UF. UMiami probably carries at least Miami-Dade and Broward, but not heavily so, as they rarely are able to sell out, that was true even when they were dominant. USF, FAU, and FIU seem to have not quite built up much in the way of fanbase yet, but with each having a more prominent coach now than UF has, that could change. Orlando is quite divided, but I think I remember there being a county by county poll for college sports, and I believe UCF carried Orange and Seminole counties, whereas I don't believe the other 3 carried any counties. I would venture everywhere more than about a half hour north of Gainesville (with the exclusion of Jacksonville, which is split), would be for FSU, though, FSU has to contend for that area with Alabama and Auburn. Florida is a divided state on this though, which is what makes it so interesting. Even though UF could probably lay claim to having largest fanbase in the state, there are so many other teams in the state, and so many people from elsewhere in the state that keep their loyalties, that I would venture that out of the CFB fans in the state of FL, at least 75 percent, maybe more, are not Gators fans.

I have graduate degrees from both UF and FSU. This is a good data set from your data mining.
When it comes to football, I definitely root for the Gators. I have been to many FSU games.
I also attended Notre Dame games. The best experience for me was a Florida Gator home game.
It just blew the other two stadiums away.

Notre Dame had steroid abuse (see Steve Huffman on Google). FSU football had those lame scandals with Winston and that degenerate guy who punched the woman in the bar and got expelled. Winston is infamous at Publix too. Notre Dame had a similar Winston type-of-scandal in 2010.

I also root for the Gators in basketball and softball. I have been to many of those games. I enjoy
hiking around Lake Alice when I came back to visit. I also ran that half marathon that goes around campus.

The only FSU team I root for is soccer. I have been to many of their home games and away games.
I have since moved back to Arizona in North Phoenix not too far from Tempe. I am back to being a "Sun Devil". I have a degree from ASU too (LOL). ASU does have a wrestling championship which is brutally difficult to do but usually did not get the media exposure until UFC rose to prominence. So ASU has elite athletes in multiple sports.

Out west, in Boulder, CO Florida's Alumnus, Frank Shorter, is well known in the Bolder Boulder 10k. He won the 1972 gold medal for the marathon. Shorter is now a lawyer and anti-doping activist.

FSU soccer was awesome. I was most impressed by their victories at a higher altitude out west despite coming from sea level in Tallahassee - hypoxia.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:32 PM

2,960 posts, read 1,909,547 times
What was it about the Florida game that you felt was so much better? I've actually only been to one UF game. The first Saturday afternoon of the year, a noon game against a MAC school, with a temp inside the stadium that felt like about 125. Brutal. Decent portion of stadium wasn't filled, and fans were relatively tepid. Turn that around to my one FSU game experience, a close night game for them to win their division in the ACC in November. Stadium was packed, tailgate scene was vibrant, and the noise was deafening, especially the tomahawk chop when UVA had the ball in the 4th quarter. Like near unanimous. I guess when you attend has a lot to do with things lol.

Attending a Notre Dame football game had a certain magic for me, but I think that a lot of that might have had to do with my experience walking around the campus before the game as well haha.

Gainesville and Tallahassee both seem like somewhat hip college towns, that are big enough to not feel "too collegey", but at same time have a quaint and quirky charm..

That is impressive, and I can see where that can be really pivotal in a sport like soccer. Re: Frank Shorter, interesting, but not surprising that he lives out in Boulder now. Just generally seems like better training conditions for a distance runner... Did he spend more time out there when training for the marathon as well? I would imagine so, but wasn't sure. He really doesn't get enough credit in US distance running lore compared to Pre, Ryun and others. I don't blame you for switching primary allegiance over to ASU if you are out there. While I could never fully leave my Cleveland teams, it is nice to have a local team that you are more fully behind also.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 PM

686 posts, read 237,875 times
If I see one more "house divided" license plate frame or flag, I'm going to kick a puppy.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:41 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,202,344 times
Gators, for sure, because the University of Florida is actually located on the peninsula, which is the real Florida.

That other school, formerly Florida State College for Women, is hiding way up closer to Georgia and Alabama, among state government bureaucrats and away from the ocean.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:20 PM

937 posts, read 2,188,620 times
I'm a Florida State fan, as is obvious from my username.

That said, statewide, there are definitely more Florida fans. It's just a bigger school with a larger alumni base. FSU was not even coed until after WW2. That makes a huge difference in terms of generational following.

Since FSU has had more football success over the past decade or so, you may see more folks jumping on the bandwagon, but UF will still have the numbers for the foreseeable future.

As far as a regional breakdown goes, I think there are obviously more FSU fans in Leon County, but I bet every other county in the state is majority UF, even in the panhandle.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 PM

453 posts, read 171,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

That UF-FSU softball game at Tallahassee was awesome. It went into extra innings. It reflects the greatness of the rivalry. But the celebration for FSU may be lukewarm. FSU now has to travel here to Pac-12 country and play Oregon in a series. It doesn't get any easier. Oregon recently beat U of Arizona which is also in the top 3 of the national rankings.

As for the rivalry, Florida has won most recent games by far but lost this mid-week game at FSU. They didn't substitute a new pitcher but kept her all innings. The experience should be good for the playoffs for both teams. Go Gators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2017, 04:42 PM

7,038 posts, read 8,636,167 times
UF cracks nation’s top 10 public universities - News - Gainesville Sun - Gainesville, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida