Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 04:56 PM

33 posts, read 158,328 times

Advertisements

during economic downturn.

Gainesville an A-list city - News - GainesvilleSun.com (http://www.gainesvillesun.com/article/20080227/NEWS/802270332/1002/NEWS&source=RSS - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:45 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
I have seen several ariticles about retirement in Gainesville in the past year or so. I have to say, they were written for a more affluent retiree. Most of the information was a retiree that would be spending some facet of their life in Gainesville taking classes there, or living in school residences for retirees. The rest of the articles were about the Villages. I think one would really need to consider the disproportinate population ,age wise anyway there. It is not a big city or metro area and the age difference is very noticeable, it really is not all that mixed. I personally don't see the draw to Gainesville for the average retiree especially someone that is not from the region to begin with. However to each his or her own. I think putting alot of thought into the best list of this or that is not for many people. These articles seem to be the writers best lists, everyone is different and that is why I do not believe in best lists, best places list, I go by my own list.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Sure and they named "Ithaca" NY and Orlando as recession proof too.

LOL

Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,077 times
Gainesville has super high property taxes and high rents and terrible traffic.

It does have a lot of attractions, including some nice natural attractions nearby like springs, lakes, rivers etc.

It does have several hospitals which is probably a consideration for the elderly.

Personally, I would retire to the country outside Gainesville but never in the city.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:32 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I have seen several ariticles about retirement in Gainesville in the past year or so. I have to say, they were written for a more affluent retiree. Most of the information was a retiree that would be spending some facet of their life in Gainesville taking classes there, or living in school residences for retirees. The rest of the articles were about the Villages. I think one would really need to consider the disproportinate population ,age wise anyway there. It is not a big city or metro area and the age difference is very noticeable, it really is not all that mixed. I personally don't see the draw to Gainesville for the average retiree especially someone that is not from the region to begin with. However to each his or her own. I think putting alot of thought into the best list of this or that is not for many people. These articles seem to be the writers best lists, everyone is different and that is why I do not believe in best lists, best places list, I go by my own list.
They do assume a fair amount of wealth and like to pick college towns for these rankings. I think the main assumption is they are targeting an upper middle class couple who are well educated.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
They do assume a fair amount of wealth and like to pick college towns for these rankings. I think the main assumption is they are targeting an upper middle class couple who are well educated.
I agree. Its a shame when one reads these retirement publications or any best place magazine, the information is not for the majority of people. It really is not in a persons best interest to go by these publications any longer, and thats really a shame when your looking for information. In many ways I think you can get more practical information from people on here, well in most instances anyway.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
Gainesville has super high property taxes and high rents and terrible traffic.

It does have a lot of attractions, including some nice natural attractions nearby like springs, lakes, rivers etc.

It does have several hospitals which is probably a consideration for the elderly.

Personally, I would retire to the country outside Gainesville but never in the city.
Yes Gainesville does have some good hospitals, and that is definitely a concern for people as they grow older, but other than that Gainesville just doesn't fit most retirees needs I think. Im retired from the VA Medical Center in Boston and I could never understand why there is a VA Hosptial in Gainesville. I would have thought an area with a larger veteran population that did not have a hosptial made more sense. A location like the Melbourne area or closer to Metro Orlando. Im assuming the VA in Gainesville must have some affiliation with the University of Florida, which would explain the location then. Yes I can understand retiring outside of Gainesville, but I also could never live within the city.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 PM

21 posts, read 80,385 times
Default So many politics are involved in these "lists"

Political favors are so much at play with these "best lists" that one must assume they're not based on fact....just opinion, depending on the "powers that be". Remember a few years ago when the "best city to retire to" was Punta Gorda?

I know from first-hand experience as a formerly elected official. Let's just say it's all an orchestrated PR campaign, specifically designed to promote the counties that need to grow for the specified year.

Sad....so sad...

Old 03-02-2008, 10:43 PM

33 posts, read 158,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Yes Gainesville does have some good hospitals, and that is definitely a concern for people as they grow older, but other than that Gainesville just doesn't fit most retirees needs I think. Im retired from the VA Medical Center in Boston and I could never understand why there is a VA Hosptial in Gainesville. I would have thought an area with a larger veteran population that did not have a hosptial made more sense. A location like the Melbourne area or closer to Metro Orlando. Im assuming the VA in Gainesville must have some affiliation with the University of Florida, which would explain the location then. Yes I can understand retiring outside of Gainesville, but I also could never live within the city.
The VA hospital in Gainesville,Fl is the 2nd busiest in the country(to Tampa's). I work there and I can tell you that veterans are moving into the region(Alachua,Gilchrist,and Marion counties) in droves. Yes, Shands is across the street and that was certainly one of the considerations when that VA was built. They are building a much needed VA hospital in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida