U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:58 PM

151 posts, read 113,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Yes, the developments are what is actually making the profit from the whole system, but why is that bad? Why is it bad to have homes, or shops, or food around a train station? Why is it bad to have parts of cities that can, at least in one more way, survive with fewer cars while adding to the tax base and local options for commercial and residential space?

So you think that having stations in Miami, FTL, West Palm, and Orlando will spur growth in small communities as the train does what, blocks traffic at railroad crossings??

Or, are you saying this is boon for "development" around railway stations in the four stations at Miami, FTL, West Palm, and Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 02:30 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,023,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I cant believe that many people would take a train between Orlando and Miami on a daily basis or take the train instead of their car. at that distance (236 miles) its not a commuter train so i'm wondering what the target demographic is.
IIRC that's the max number of trains they're planning. Initially they're going to run 4-car trains, then shift to 10 car trains as / if ridership grows to what they're expecting.

We'll have to see, but I can believe that many people want access to Orlando's airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
So you think that having stations in Miami, FTL, West Palm, and Orlando will spur growth in small communities as the train does what, blocks traffic at railroad crossings??

Or, are you saying this is boon for "development" around railway stations in the four stations at Miami, FTL, West Palm, and Orlando?
I think that, when / if this route proves successful, the opportunities to open additional stations for more local routes will show themselves. The towns themselves will benefit from both the connectivity, and the extra development. There is also certainly the aspect that developments near the train stations will see benefit from a likely increase in density & activity, and the cities with stations will see an increase in tax revenue from these areas.

So, to answer your question, both.

As for traffic-blocking, I already pointed out how small of an actual inconvenience this will cause, and, as someone moving to the space coast, where there aren't any planned stations but the route runs through, am certainly not worried about this at all. Certainly no more the already present freight trains, which cause much longer delays at grade crossings than any passenger train will.

I am especially okay with this if there's the possibility of a station coming to the area where I'll be.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post

I am especially okay with this if there's the possibility of a station coming to the area where I'll be.
Lol, Don't hold your breath. I can't believe people are this gullible, but I guess they are.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,023,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
Lol, Don't hold your breath. I can't believe people are this gullible, but I guess they are.
I support the project either way. Whether or not my area gets a station is arbitrary to my support, however I would support the project further if a station were planned in my area.

Thanks for the eloquent, well thought out, and very informative counter argument, though.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:53 AM

34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times
If the project is funded solely by private money who cares how much train infrastructure they build, if its tax payer funded thats a different story as its going to cost tax payers a lot of money to fulfill some ones pipe dream.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:58 AM

8,751 posts, read 10,772,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Check ticket prices here

All Aboard Florida releases preliminary ticket prices

All Aboard Florida’s ticket prices would range from $11 for a one-way ride between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale to $143 for a business-class fare between Miami and Orlando under a plan to “optimize” revenues, according to a ridership and revenue study made public by the company Thursday.

2020 Forecast
Short Distance (between Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach)
Ridership: 2.8 million
Fare Revenue: $64.1 million
Long Distance (between southeast Florida and Orlando)
Ridership: 2.5 million
Fare revenue: $229.4 million
2020 total
Ridership: 5.3 million
Fare revenue: $293.6 million
All Aboard Florida’s “optimized” fares
West Palm Beach to Orlando
Regular fare: $66.21
Business fare: $99.32
Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando
Regular fare: $82.76
Business fare: $126.91
Miami to Orlando
Regular fare: $93.80
Business fare: $143.46
Who is kidding whom?? These prices are as high or higher than flying -- and even at 125 MPH (max) with NO stops, will not save enough time or money to make the inconvenience worthwhile. Okay, the business traveler who needs to go to a specific walkable location in downtown Miami or Orlando, can do some work during the commute. But, while some businesses may authorize the added expenditure, many others closely audit travel expenses. Some will offer to pay a fixed travel amount with the difference being optional (aka: employee funded), which will greatly reduce the usage.

Are people really going to pay $290+ (with taxes and fees) for a round trip between Miami and Orlando ... in addition to the cost of secondary transportation? I traveled Florida for years and cannot imagine using this service for more than a rare/unusual trip. It sounds like the promoters are anticipating government subsidies in the near future.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 AM

9,518 posts, read 6,508,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Who is kidding whom?? These prices are as high or higher than flying -- and even at 125 MPH (max) with NO stops, will not save enough time or money to make the inconvenience worthwhile. Okay, the business traveler who needs to go to a specific walkable location in downtown Miami or Orlando, can do some work during the commute. But, while some businesses may authorize the added expenditure, many others closely audit travel expenses. Some will offer to pay a fixed travel amount with the difference being optional (aka: employee funded), which will greatly reduce the usage.

Are people really going to pay $290+ (with taxes and fees) for a round trip between Miami and Orlando ... in addition to the cost of secondary transportation? I traveled Florida for years and cannot imagine using this service for more than a rare/unusual trip. It sounds like the promoters are anticipating government subsidies in the near future.
I can definitely see tourists using this. Plenty of people visiting Orlando from abroad would like to make the additional trip to Miami during their stay. This is an easy way for them to do this. Same with people visiting Miami -- plenty would love to make the trip up to go to Disney.

As for businesses, how is this an added cost? They already reimburse for miles traveled while on business. I believe the current IRS rate is $0.58/mile? That's roughly $280 that they have to reimburse the employee, which is considerably more than the "regular" fare. Add the Turnpike's tolls to that, and you have a round-trip drive that costs a company well over $300. Not to mention the wasted time driving, which could otherwise be spent working.

It's a bit pricey for the average commuter, but I don't think it will be a deal-breaker.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I can definitely see tourists using this.
Tourists pay $90 round trip from their Miami Hotel to Disney/Universal Theme Park (every park) on luxury air conditioned coach busses. Each way, hotel door to theme park gate is 4 hours.

Every concierge on Miami Beach sells these bus tickets. Tourists will not be taking this train. The train will benifiit the builder and residents of downtown Miami and Ft Laud who can stroll over to the station and be in Ft Laud or Miami in a short time. Congrats to them! The rest of us will have (they estimate) 16 more trains per day blocking intersections along US1 (horribly congested as is).

Old 01-26-2017, 10:27 AM

8,751 posts, read 10,772,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I can definitely see tourists using this. Plenty of people visiting Orlando from abroad would like to make the additional trip to Miami during their stay. This is an easy way for them to do this. Same with people visiting Miami -- plenty would love to make the trip up to go to Disney.

As for businesses, how is this an added cost? They already reimburse for miles traveled while on business. I believe the current IRS rate is $0.58/mile? That's roughly $280 that they have to reimburse the employee, which is considerably more than the "regular" fare. Add the Turnpike's tolls to that, and you have a round-trip drive that costs a company well over $300. Not to mention the wasted time driving, which could otherwise be spent working.

It's a bit pricey for the average commuter, but I don't think it will be a deal-breaker.
You are probably right about the Orlando tourists wanting to go to Miami and the Miami tourists wanting to go to Orlando/Disney.

While the mileage allowance has gone-up on the business side (from when I was regularly traveling), there is still the issue of secondary transportation once one arrives at the train station; plus the inability to make additional stops up/down the I95 corridor

Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 PM

17,428 posts, read 10,504,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You are probably right about the Orlando tourists wanting to go to Miami and the Miami tourists wanting to go to Orlando/Disney.

While the mileage allowance has gone-up on the business side (from when I was regularly traveling), there is still the issue of secondary transportation once one arrives at the train station; plus the inability to make additional stops up/down the I95 corridor
Yes the total cost will depend on where their ultimate destination is.

Oh, I got your book, but have had 2 eye surgeries and just had a 2 friends die over the weekend, so have had minimal time to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or