U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2017, 04:57 PM
 
2,625 posts, read 4,930,851 times
Reputation: 2195

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
But now, you have to suffer with long winters, snow and cold. Maybe you like winters. Most people in Minnesota don't like winters. Most people simply resign to the fact that they have to put up with winters. A tiny fraction of the population actually like winters in Minnesota.

I agree with you that the drivers in the Miami area are reckless. The drivers are drastically better in SW Florida. To me, Florida isn't the place for me while I'm still working, because the wages are way too low. The snowbelt is an area to make more money, so save more money for retirement. Then you're retirement income stream can be about the same as it was during the working years.

It sounds like you lived in a bad area to be victimized so many times. Maybe the area you lived in was all you could afford due to your career choice and working for the non-profit. I agree with you that auto and home insurance is much higher than the Midwest. But the Florida state income tax is zero, which is huge if you have a large retirement income stream and a lot of money in pretax retirement accounts that needs to be pulled out and taxed. I didn't find food prices to be much different than Minnesota. In Hawaii, $100 will buy you only 2/3rd of one paper bag of groceries, plus you have to pay for the bag!

It sounds like life is much better for you in Indiana, so moving to Indiana was the right move for you!
I lived where I could afford to live. The break-ins of my house always happened when I was at work. I had a carport, so it was obvious when I was not at home. I first lived in an apartment near Dadeland mall. Within a year, someone stole plants that I had by my front door. When I purchased my home, in Homestead, I planted the half acre lot with many plants. I guess the landscaping looked like there might be something worth stealing inside the house! Through the years (1993-2016) I had citrus fruit stolen from my backyard, orchids stripped off my palm trees, lychees stolen, plants dug out of my yard, plants taken from my front porch, etc. There just doesn't seem to be much respect for others' property in Miami-Dade. I remember one day, about 2 or 3 years after I had purchased my home, I was walking in my backyard and realized that someone had picked all my citrus fruit! All of it! I had 10 citrus trees back there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2017, 07:14 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,464,395 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
But now, you have to suffer with long winters, snow and cold. Maybe you like winters. Most people in Minnesota don't like winters. Most people simply resign to the fact that they have to put up with winters. A tiny fraction of the population actually like winters in Minnesota.
It was always my impression that people in MN liked the winters. Maybe like isn't the right word, but the impression I get is that people there don't complain about it. Plenty outdoor activities there, and you see people outside like it's summer. Imagine if Minneapolis had a warmer climate, it'd see way more population growth than it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Woodbury, MN
1,446 posts, read 1,519,954 times
Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It was always my impression that people in MN liked the winters. Maybe like isn't the right word, but the impression I get is that people there don't complain about it. Plenty outdoor activities there, and you see people outside like it's summer. Imagine if Minneapolis had a warmer climate, it'd see way more population growth than it is now.
Actually, the Minneapolis/St Paul area is growing. The job climate is pretty good for high income jobs, although the vast majority do not have high income jobs. Most people in Minnesota don't like winters, and get tired of winters quickly. Most tend to hunker down inside all winter. There are a few people who like outdoor sports in the winters, but not many. There's a slogan "Minnesota Nice", that's really more of a slogan for attracting tourists. The taxes are pretty high in Minnesota, especially if you are a high income earner. There's a lot of freeloaders that are on the system, that don't want to work.

When people retire in Minnesota, about 86% of the retired people stay in Minnesota, not because they like the climate, it's because of their families and friends that live in Minnesota. Still, there's many people who snowbird in Arizona and Florida. I've lived in Minnesota all my life. Only two more Minnesota winters left for me, then I'll be in a warmer climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 07:05 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,464,395 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Actually, the Minneapolis/St Paul area is growing. The job climate is pretty good for high income jobs, although the vast majority do not have high income jobs. Most people in Minnesota don't like winters, and get tired of winters quickly. Most tend to hunker down inside all winter. There are a few people who like outdoor sports in the winters, but not many. There's a slogan "Minnesota Nice", that's really more of a slogan for attracting tourists. The taxes are pretty high in Minnesota, especially if you are a high income earner. There's a lot of freeloaders that are on the system, that don't want to work.

When people retire in Minnesota, about 86% of the retired people stay in Minnesota, not because they like the climate, it's because of their families and friends that live in Minnesota. Still, there's many people who snowbird in Arizona and Florida. I've lived in Minnesota all my life. Only two more Minnesota winters left for me, then I'll be in a warmer climate.
Of course Minneapolis is growing, I was simply saying that it'd see way more growth if it even had a slightly warmer climate. Good for you though, I left Florida as soon as I could and would never return to living in a warm climate. Love my cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
1,795 posts, read 1,635,127 times
Reputation: 1606
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It was always my impression that people in MN liked the winters. Maybe like isn't the right word, but the impression I get is that people there don't complain about it. Plenty outdoor activities there, and you see people outside like it's summer. Imagine if Minneapolis had a warmer climate, it'd see way more population growth than it is now.
While there are a few who actually like brutal winters or summers, for most it has little to do with weather or outdoor activities. Most people are where they are due to family, friends, familiarity, inertia and jobs if they're working. And relocating is expensive once you've bought a house and established a household. It's only the minority who are willing to buck all those factors that move due to weather. We live up north and hate winters with a passion, 24 straight years so far. Eventually we'll move south but...

...no place is perfect anyway. Minnesota sucks in winter, Florida sucks in summer, there are pros and cons to any country/state/region/city. The few places that are close to perfect are so expensive and/or crowded you couldn't or wouldn't want to live there.

PS We lived in central FL for 3 years. Couldn't wait to move there, and couldn't wait to leave 3 years later, and we'd never go back. I know most people like FL, but not everyone.

Last edited by Midpack; 04-15-2017 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
1,338 posts, read 1,383,033 times
Reputation: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I moved from the Midwest to south Florida in 1973. I was beginning my career after graduating from college. I worked at a non profit company for 40+ years. This was in Miami Dade County. Through the years, I became more sensitive to the relentless heat and humidity. High COL was a factor - especially insurance costs. In recent years, my homeowners insurance was over $4,000.00. My automobile insurance (the last few years in Florida) was $2,000.00 annually - no tickets or accidents or claims of any kind. As a single person, I felt like I was trapped down here. I hated it. I felt like I was living in a foreign country. Crime, omg, so bad. My house was broken into 3 times with 5 other times attempted break-ins, but thwarted when the alarm came on. I'm an outdoors person, loved hiking, etc. and found it difficult to find others who shared my interests. I had 1/2 acre lot and planted it heavily. The upkeep on it was overwhelming. So, I moved back to Indiana this past fall. COL is so much lower here! Even food is cheaper - a lot cheaper! I pay $625.00/year homeowners' insurance and $465.00 per year for automobile insurance - State Farm. People are so friendly here and I have found others who share my interests and have developed some friendships. There is so much to do here - so many parks, history events, festivals, etc. Driving is a pleasure once again. I had developed anxiety over driving anywhere in south Florida due to the rude, aggressive drivers there. Ahhhh, now I can relax. People here are polite, friendly, like to chat and are considerate. It is a totally different world outside of south Florida. Florida is not for everyone. I hope that those folks who are planning to move to Florida can find their happiness and love it.
Wow, you are a great writer as you can spin Indiana as a desirable place to live. Good luck to you and keep telling yourself Indiana is interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 02:00 PM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,269 posts, read 15,852,965 times
Reputation: 7898
There have been threads like this one since I joined City-Data nearly 10 years ago. I've always written that unless you have enough money and desire to maintain 2 or 3 homes, there's never going to be a perfect place to live. Even snowbirds often sell one home and settle down, usually when they get tired of traveling back & forth.

Florida will always be one of those states people debate about, since there are 20 million residents and millions of tourists, so I cannot imagine everyone thinking it's Paradise or some kind of utopia. Also, Florida runs from Key West to Jacksonville and Pensacola, and each area is different.

So good luck to anyone who is leaving (or coming) because if you think moving somewhere is going to solve all your problems, chances are you'll be very disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 05:20 PM
 
17,427 posts, read 10,504,982 times
Reputation: 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
There have been threads like this one since I joined City-Data nearly 10 years ago. I've always written that unless you have enough money and desire to maintain 2 or 3 homes, there's never going to be a perfect place to live. Even snowbirds often sell one home and settle down, usually when they get tired of traveling back & forth.

Florida will always be one of those states people debate about, since there are 20 million residents and millions of tourists, so I cannot imagine everyone thinking it's Paradise or some kind of utopia. Also, Florida runs from Key West to Jacksonville and Pensacola, and each area is different.

So good luck to anyone who is leaving (or coming) because if you think moving somewhere is going to solve all your problems, chances are you'll be very disappointed.
And most people complaining have lived in South FL and treat as though the whole State was like that area. SoFL is probably the worst area in the State overall, but the rest does not have the same level of problems or costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 05:26 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,464,395 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
While there are a few who actually like brutal winters or summers, for most it has little to do with weather or outdoor activities. Most people are where they are due to family, friends, familiarity, inertia and jobs if they're working. And relocating is expensive once you've bought a house and established a household. It's only the minority who are willing to buck all those factors that move due to weather. We live up north and hate winters with a passion, 24 straight years so far. Eventually we'll move south but...

...no place is perfect anyway. Minnesota sucks in winter, Florida sucks in summer, there are pros and cons to any country/state/region/city. The few places that are close to perfect are so expensive and/or crowded you couldn't or wouldn't want to live there.

PS We lived in central FL for 3 years. Couldn't wait to move there, and couldn't wait to leave 3 years later, and we'd never go back. I know most people like FL, but not everyone.
Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,778 posts, read 2,694,175 times
Reputation: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And most people complaining have lived in South FL and treat as though the whole State was like that area. SoFL is probably the worst area in the State overall, but the rest does not have the same level of problems or costs.
That depends on who you ask ! It's funny how the "worst" part of the state is still the largest and continues to grow year after year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top