Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:57 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Not really S Florida is still more expensive than the Tampa Area even with the CDD's and not all developments or areas have them...HOA's in S Florida are insane, Home Owners and Hurricane Insurance are very expensive Property taxes are about the same.. We are buying a home outside of Tampa that we would not be buying for the same price or have anything else we wanted in S Florida...We loved Boca when we lived there, but we have older kids and have no desire to spend that kind of money on Inusrances, housing etc...
Depends where in South Florida.... your statements are very broad. There is certainly areas with fairly low insurance, no HOA's, no CDD's, etc... in South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 06:35 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Depends where in South Florida.... your statements are very broad. There is certainly areas with fairly low insurance, no HOA's, no CDD's, etc... in South Florida.
Most of South florida I have friends and family that live in Davie, Ft Lauderdale and Boca and overall it isn't that cheap...We lived in boca for 4 years housing was less back then than it is now, my family lives in S Florida as well and we have been looking for quiet some time there and decided to head to the West Coast where the rest of our friends are now

I guess it depends what type of housing one wants to buy..We are looking for a 4 bedroom , 3 full baths and inground pool with Lanai...Most of the homes we are looking at are between 325-360k and our Taxes will be between 3500-4800 a year...the Homes are only about 6-10 Years, and our home owners insurance will be about
900 a year so again it depends on what someone is looking for...

Yes there are less expensive areas but South Florida in General is pretty Expensive place to live...Our cost of living was the same as NJ minus the Property Taxes...

Old 02-19-2017, 10:36 PM

782 posts, read 752,650 times
Quote:
Not really S Florida is still more expensive than the Tampa Area even with the CDD's and not all developments or areas have them...HOA's in S Florida are insane, Home Owners and Hurricane Insurance are very expensive Property taxes are about the same.. We are buying a home outside of Tampa that we would not be buying for the same price or have anything else we wanted in S Florida...We loved Boca when we lived there, but we have older kids and have no desire to spend that kind of money on Inusrances, housing etc...
I know, my wife and I lived in SoFla for a combined 30+ years, lived in the West Palm Beach area and left SoFla for SoCal over a year ago. We both miss things about it and it was bittersweet leaving. Since moving here I was amazed how misinformed Californians are on the cost of living in SoFla, they all thought it was like other parts of FL, relatively cheap, not the case. When I go into detail on what I paid for Insurance (Car, Home, Health and etc.) they are shocked, little alone when I tell them how much Property Taxes are and how you can swing all of that on the poor wages offered to Professionals.

Although we considered trying another part of FL, my Wife lived in Sarasota for a couple of years, we both had no sinking desire to do it and I really could not see any good careers in my sector compared to here where there is plenty. Just in my area alone there are lot's of jobs, companies, and business parks and they are even adding more, not so much in SoFla, more shops, restaurants, strip malls and low paying service jobs. It use to be better, but those days are long gone many companies left the area and nobody really came back to back-fill the skilled positions.

Dont' get me wrong, SoFla is a great place to live if you can afford it and/or are rich.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
I know, my wife and I lived in SoFla for a combined 30+ years, lived in the West Palm Beach area and left SoFla for SoCal over a year ago. We both miss things about it and it was bittersweet leaving. Since moving here I was amazed how misinformed Californians are on the cost of living in SoFla, they all thought it was like other parts of FL, relatively cheap, not the case. When I go into detail on what I paid for Insurance (Car, Home, Health and etc.) they are shocked, little alone when I tell them how much Property Taxes are and how you can swing all of that on the poor wages offered to Professionals.

Although we considered trying another part of FL, my Wife lived in Sarasota for a couple of years, we both had no sinking desire to do it and I really could not see any good careers in my sector compared to here where there is plenty. Just in my area alone there are lot's of jobs, companies, and business parks and they are even adding more, not so much in SoFla, more shops, restaurants, strip malls and low paying service jobs. It use to be better, but those days are long gone many companies left the area and nobody really came back to back-fill the skilled positions.

Dont' get me wrong, SoFla is a great place to live if you can afford it and/or are rich.
this was exactly my point

we are fortunate my husband works for a Global/Virtual Company so he can work anywhere and he travels to his clients as needed..they have a big presence in the Southeast as well as a Tampa Office so we are excited to get back to florida...

Old 02-19-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Belle Glade and Pahokee the flip side of Palm Beach, would be the cheapest choice for housing but that comes with strings attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsFy1DQCEkw

Old 02-19-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
this was exactly my point

we are fortunate my husband works for a Global/Virtual Company so he can work anywhere and he travels to his clients as needed..they have a big presence in the Southeast as well as a Tampa Office so we are excited to get back to florida...
We adjusted well to San Diego, my Wife and I both miss things about SoFla living there so long, noticed though the housing market is not doing as well in SoFla as here, a lot of foreclosures and available inventory, here homes go fast even in the $500K+ price range.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
We adjusted well to San Diego, my Wife and I both miss things about SoFla living there so long, noticed though the housing market is not doing as well in SoFla as here, a lot of foreclosures and available inventory, here homes go fast even in the $500K+ price range.
We too will miss a few things in S Florida but we will be 3.5 hour drive so its not too bad and I have family and friends we can stay with when ew go and visit...However On the Contrary S Florida real estate is selling pretty well...Now Tampa Area is extremely HOT..very simialr to your area Homes aren't staying on the market for long and the prices keep going up at least where we are looking...Can't figure it out...my friend is a realtor in the Boca/Delray market and she is doing very well ...that is great that you guys like where you live that is very important...

Old 02-20-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
We too will miss a few things in S Florida but we will be 3.5 hour drive so its not too bad and I have family and friends we can stay with when ew go and visit...However On the Contrary S Florida real estate is selling pretty well...Now Tampa Area is extremely HOT..very simialr to your area Homes aren't staying on the market for long and the prices keep going up at least where we are looking...Can't figure it out...my friend is a realtor in the Boca/Delray market and she is doing very well ...that is great that you guys like where you live that is very important...
Odd, my Wife's one friend who stay's in touch is a Realtor in Wellington said the market is Cool in and around that area which was always expensive, lot of inventory and foreclosures are up, Zillow confirms this:

https://www.zillow.com/wellington-fl/home-values/

Old 02-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Boca/Delray I know the market is good..the higher end homes and New Construction are selling very well..my friends daughter in law will be selling in Wellington she said the market is a little slow there too, but my realtor friend is selling and always busy...

Old 02-20-2017, 12:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times
Quote:
I am a native Californian currently living in TN. We are looking at either the West Coast, Oceanside, CA or The East Coast New Smyrna Beach, FL. I lived in SD for many years and am quite familiar with it and just visited last November as I own a Business (3 actually) in SoCal.

In running all the numbers FL is definitely lower than CA. The State Income tax being one of the major issues and housing costs. Uniquely for the same size house the taxes are higher as a percentage in FL but equal overall due to the higher cost in CA. Now SWFL is a bit unique, but SD is not as bad as OC or LA, but still more expensive than FL. If you go to Zillow.com and include sales and foreclosures you will see a Huge number of foreclosures in SD. The banks do not list them all for sale at once to keep the price up. In the Oceanside VS New Smyrna Beach areas, SD is far worse. State wide overall, is not an issue to me.

A major issue is the constantly rising taxes and fees and they will only get worse due to the pension mess and poor financial management by the State. Residents get to pay and pay and ... well it is not getting any better. I have watched this for years and moved out of CA for the the 3rd time in 2007 and the mess in regards to regulations taxes and fees is beginning to inhibit my desire to move back. The weather is great, lots of things to do, but you will pay far more overall than in FL.

Here is an example:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...lic-years.html

SD schools are laying off employees due to this.

Note the impact and even if you have no children you will pay for it.

"Some districts have been hit harder than others. According to Bloomberg, since 2013, Los Angeles Unified, San Diego Unified and Long Beach Unified have seen their pension costs grow between 74 and 78 percent, with Long Beach Unified impacted the most. Combined, the three districts have a net CalSTRS liability over $5 billion."

Last edited by expatCA; 02-20-2017 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida