U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 AM

56 posts, read 173,032 times

Advertisements

hi does anyone have any resources on the Internet or in print where I can go to learn more about traditional Florida culture, Florida foods, Florida music, Florida history, and anything to do with old time Florida? I want to adapt to your ways when/if I move there...I consider myself a nice person lol.

are the mosquitoes/bugs really as bad as they say? I speak a lot of Spanish and some Haitian Creole but are these NECESSITIES for living in FL?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:09 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,946,365 times
I really don't have anything to compare it to but to me they're not that bad. Get a good exterminator and throw some OFF! on when it's mosquito season and you should be OK.

I don't know a lick of Spanish and have gotten along fine my whole life living here. I guess it might depend on what area you choose though.

State of Florida.com - Florida Quick Facts
History of Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Seminole Tribe of Florida: Culture
http://www.floridahistory.org/
Facts - Office of Cultural & Historical Programs
Highlights of Florida
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108198.html

Some other good websites:
Welcome to www.historicspanishpoint.org
Calusa Nature Center
Gamble Mansion (http://www.gamblemansion.org/gambleframe.html - broken link)
Marie Selby Botanical Gardens

Old 03-02-2008, 12:14 PM

Oh yea, if you move to Florida you have to eat Swamp Cabbage. It's a necessity

Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,889,994 times
Where are u coming from exactly that you feel you need to adapt to Fl ways? The thing about Fl is that it is a mish mash of all different people from everywhere. Predominatly there are hispanics, hatians cubans etc in terms of "foriegn culture" is concerned. I lived there my whole life and never spoke any spanish and while sometimes if can be frustrating to encounter a non english speaker at Mcdonalds I always got along just find with what I needed. It also depends on where you are going in Fla. Northern Fla is more native aka "redneck" country (no harm intended on anyone ) where Southern is more flashy, fashion hip intended.. The exceptions of course are the big cities in northern... Give us some more info on where you're going, what exactly you're looking for and we might be able to point you in a more precise direction

Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,268,422 times
Learning the basics about Florida is the first step, great sources mentioned above, lets add a few more:

Florida History Timeline (http://palmm.fcla.edu/fh/outline/outline.html - broken link)
Florida History Library, University of Florida
Welcome to Florida History Online

Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM

331 posts, read 1,412,705 times
If you want some insight on the life in NE FL some 120 years ago, try reading "The Yearling" by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. Once you open this book it's hard to put it down!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:38 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,751,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Oh yea, if you move to Florida you have to eat Swamp Cabbage. It's a necessity
its illegal to cut down sabal palm here in Florida..... btw, if its prepared correctly, swamp cabbage is delish!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
its illegal to cut down sabal palm here in Florida..... btw, if its prepared correctly, swamp cabbage is delish!
Hmmm...I've never heard anything about it being illegal to cut down a cabbage palm. They even have the annual Swamp Cabbage Festival in Labelle. Here's a little more info on Sabal Palm/Cabbage Palm.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:21 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,751,730 times
it is illegal on govt or public property, too many folks cutting them down to eat them, it carries a hefty fine. Should have clarified that.
Perhaps the site and festival you are speaking of cultivate sabal palms specifically for the events?

Old 03-02-2008, 09:33 PM

135 posts, read 658,980 times
read "a land remembered" by patrick smith, that will tell you all you need to know about the state

you dont need to know any creole or spanish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida