U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM

89 posts, read 92,401 times

Advertisements

Spunky I just wouldnt want you to present North Georgia in a way that its not. Cant you understand why locals in our small little town thats growing to fast resent all the Floridians coming here. The ones that come here to work and leave all their flags home are treated all right but the ones with vacation homes here arent liked to well. While their buying their second home the locals and their children cant afford their first one. I think hiknapster kind of knows what im talking about. I hope he comes back in this discussion. Sure there coming here but they will always be considered OUTSIDERS and never truly fit in. They would probally fit in better in Atlanta which as no feel of a community just a dumping ground for every other state. It was actually on the front page of the paper not to long ago about why so many Floridians are taking North Georgia over.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,364,730 times
I've got a vacation home in North Georgia, Johnny Country. I recon I don't feel like an outsider when I'm up there, but you're right about me not haveing close friends up there in the mountains. Then again, I don't expect to - not until I move up there permenantly and can vote and attend city council meatings.

Johnny, just remember, we vacation home owners pay a good portion of your taxes for you, but don't even get to vote! In other words, you Florida-hate'n people who keep crying about how you cain't afford to live there just remember that we're subsidising you. You get to decide what to do with the money that I pay you every year. Otherwise, the local rich-boys would be taxing your a$$ to death to finance their big houses on Lake Blue Ridge, and to pay for the beautiful schools they love to build for their children. In any event, we just buy the houses for whatever you people will sell them for. Without us, your own people would extract the same amount of money from you! I worked hard so I could buy a little trailor next to yours where I can proudly display my Gator flag and my plastic palm trees.

The bottom line, Johnny Country, is that you just need to stop being so lazy and pick more cotton if you want to buy a house. Seriously, stop being such a liberal crybaby worrying about what others are doing or buying and figure out how you can compete for what you want in this world.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 5,024,572 times
The hilarious thing about this entire thread is that it started with Spotrod moaning about how the newcomers ruined his Florida, so his solution was to be a newcomer in Georgia and help ruin their beloved area.

The truth of the matter is that every desirable area is changing because more and more people want to live there, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it, except perhaps move somewhere where no one else wants to live, like Oil City.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:00 PM

So, OldTimer, are you saying that we all need to stay put and not move?

For years, Atlanta and Florida were the recipiants of all of those kids who grew up in boring North Georgia, South Carolina and rural North Carolina. No, correction - the larger cities are still the recipiants of these rural kids, becasue they can't stand living somewhere where there is little economic opportunity, jobs or education. When I visit Atlanta, I have run into many college age kids that came from these small towns and NEVER wanted to return. They come to Florida or Atlanta just to "steal" our jobs. I've never once told one of them to get the heck out of my land, go back to your hillbilly mountain farm and stop taking up space in our Universities and stealing jobs in our cities.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:03 PM

1,305 posts, read 5,024,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
So, OldTimer, are you saying that we all need to stay put and not move?
Of course not. I am saying that it's hilarious to complain about something and then turn around and do the same thing. In fact, it's pretty useless to complain, period.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 PM

265 posts, read 793,671 times
pslOldtimer is much, much more polite than I am.

Some people won't be happy anywhere and they like it like that!!

Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 AM

89 posts, read 92,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I've got a vacation home in North Georgia, Johnny Country. I recon I don't feel like an outsider when I'm up there, but you're right about me not haveing close friends up there in the mountains. Then again, I don't expect to - not until I move up there permenantly and can vote and attend city council meatings.

Johnny, just remember, we vacation home owners pay a good portion of your taxes for you, but don't even get to vote! In other words, you Florida-hate'n people who keep crying about how you cain't afford to live there just remember that we're subsidising you. You get to decide what to do with the money that I pay you every year. Otherwise, the local rich-boys would be taxing your a$$ to death to finance their big houses on Lake Blue Ridge, and to pay for the beautiful schools they love to build for their children. In any event, we just buy the houses for whatever you people will sell them for. Without us, your own people would extract the same amount of money from you! I worked hard so I could buy a little trailor next to yours where I can proudly display my Gator flag and my plastic palm trees.

The bottom line, Johnny Country, is that you just need to stop being so lazy and pick more cotton if you want to buy a house. Seriously, stop being such a liberal crybaby worrying about what others are doing or buying and figure out how you can compete for what you want in this world.
Good points Prichard and us locals pretty much came to a conclusion that we dont have to like what Floridians are doing to North Georgia but we have to accept it. Heck this place is ruined and Im just gonna rent for a while longer then move as far away from Florida as I can. Probally up north in some little cold farm town far away from any city or ***** like Atlanta. Its funny that you talk about buying homes for whatever there selling for up here whatever the price. The homes up here aint worth half what there being sold for but we always know a Floridian will pay whatever. My sisters selling her house but shes says shes gonna sell it to a Floridian cause she can ask for more. Do those Palm Trees that your gonna plant buy my front yard grow money????

Old 01-11-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Do those Palm Trees that your gonna plant buy my front yard grow money????
No, I've tried, but I can't get them plastic trees to produce anything but plastic coconuts. Still too cold up there for my genuine palm trees, but global warming's coming and I plan on importing a whole bunch of that pretty Florida sand into my yard so's I can get them to grow.

Johnny, I'm born and raised in Florida. Once upon a time (early '90's), I too used to think that out-of-towners (northerners and Californians) were crazy buying up all the 3/2 houses for $80,000 that they could get their hands on. In fact, they were going into what I'd consider, dumpy old neighborhoods full of old Florida cracker-shacks and buying up all of that land too. I thought to myself that these people are just plain stupid - afterall, "this ain't California". I had one of those 3/2 houses on 1/4 acre that I luckly bought for $80,000 - value crept up at about 2% per year for several years. I got bored, stopped tracking it. A couple years later, I sold that old concrete block house (not even a lick of stucco on it) that was built in 1963 for $160,000. Thought to myself, "damn glad to be rid of that one!", walking away with nearly $120,000 in my back pocket. Two years later, you couldn't touch that house for less than $280,000 - could have kept the house rented it, made some money on rent and picked up another $120,000. Haven't checked the value on that house since - too depressing.

So, Johnny, you might think that $300,000 is a lot to pay for a nice little 3/2 log cabin on 7 acres of land on a mountain built in 1990, only 3 miles outside of town. Yep, we Floridians are crazy and stupid - crazy and stupid as a damn Californian that put $120,000 in my back pocket.

Remember the following: Georgia mountains are beautiful. There is pleanty of fun outdoor things to do up there. Lots of water to play in too. Weather doesn't get too cold, nor too hot. No real worry about hurricanes or other horrible weather (don't wanna hear about your ice storms), no earth quakes, no massive floods (unless Georgia Power is eyeing your land), you can get cheap insurance. And as bad as you think you are, Johnny, you speak English, might be into hunting but probably not animal sacrifices, and don't huff methanphetamine conducting ceremonies pouring live goat and chicken blood all over eveything while chanting voo-doo. Personally, I'd rather live next to a friendly guy like yourself rather than than Ted Bundy, Danny Rollings, Rod Ferrell, Troy Victorino, or Papa Guedé the Hatian blood priest.

Ya gotta do better than "You'll never fit in" to stop us from buying getaways next to your lovely trailor.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,055,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYCOUNTRY View Post
Good points Prichard and us locals pretty much came to a conclusion that we dont have to like what Floridians are doing to North Georgia but we have to accept it. Heck this place is ruined and Im just gonna rent for a while longer then move as far away from Florida as I can. Probally up north in some little cold farm town far away from any city or ***** like Atlanta. Its funny that you talk about buying homes for whatever there selling for up here whatever the price. The homes up here aint worth half what there being sold for but we always know a Floridian will pay whatever. My sisters selling her house but shes says shes gonna sell it to a Floridian cause she can ask for more. Do those Palm Trees that your gonna plant buy my front yard grow money????
Aha, so your sister has found a way to make money from those invading Floridians? I'm surprised that she'd be willing to sell to one of them because it will just add more invaders to your growing population. So this actually confuses me~you don't want them there, but if you can get more money by selling a house to them, you'll take it rather then selling it for less to a Georgia resident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or