U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:52 AM

238 posts, read 607,376 times

Advertisements

Hello there everyone who is wanting the truth. Well I'm not a realtor just a hard working school teacher who has read alot of the posts on here and felt your joy and pain of just trying to live a wonderful life somewhere. My wife and I lived in Florida all our lives. It was once a very beautiful place and still has some nice areas. When you grew up and the roads were remote and the only traffic you saw was a possum or deer crossing the road. Now dump trucks, cement trucks going to construction sites semis going to Walmart at all hours, the working folks going to and from the traffic jams, the teenagers racing with their rice rockets or loud mufflers and the boom boxers, and oh yea the 100 yr old snow birds in winter time with their coke bottle glasses going 20 mph in a 55mph zone just to name a few.

My story is my wife and I worked for a local school sytem She was a data entry secretary and I taught coached football worked on my Masters degree in education full time and worked security on weekends to get ahead. We rented a small home and lived within our means, but that would soon change. I thought that once I finished my Masters degree that life would get easier. I soon found out that I was not the only one who was busting their hump and when I finshed I was told I basically could get promoted but it would take awhile politics (long story). In a nutshell as we were watching the bills pile up like some of you rent/mtg going higher, electric up up, car insurance. taxes, borrowing from peter to pay paul extending due dates, living on credit a big no no etc I felt that sinking feeling like swimming with a life preserver but with an anchor attached getting heavier and heavier.

We then heard from a fellow Floridian who lived in Western Carolina in the mountains who invited us to come up for a vacation. We had not had a vacation in 8 years. I had worked 3 jobs for 3 years + worked on Masters for 2 years I need a break. We took off to the mountains gas was $3.15 a gallon but the wife said we are doing it. It costs us about $150 just in gas, but everything else our friend paid for (Thank God) he understood and was living much better than we in NC so he helped us out. The trip was "awesome". We had a great time. And on our way home I turned to my wife and said we have to do something she agreed we can't keep killing ourself like so many hard working middle class Floridians.

Well just to make a long story short unless you want to stay here and read my life story I'm sure you have better things to do, but I applied for a teaching job in the North Georgia Mountains (got a 14k pay raise yea) and was basically hired over the phone. The town was Dahlonega Georgia in the Mountains, very beautiful. The schools are nice and clean and the kids are well mannered small town type. We have made some friends but still miss family in FL. The roads have limited traffic in the mountains, but we are seeing more Florida and other state tags spying property for purchase. This has created a housing increase in these parts. There are 9 subdivisions planned just in this area alone ,so growth is also coming to this area as well.

We are happy we made the move but my wife has had trouble finding a decent paying job in these parts, not much industry unless you go near Atlanta and thats a drive but everyting else is great. The schools sytems where we are are smaller and she has applied to as many a 50 different companies to no avail. As of this time she is still unemployed. We still hold out hope as we really like the area, but we left all our friends in FL and it was scary and we hope we made the right decision. We still think we made the right decision as the costs there in florida are just out of control for middle class working people. right now it stills seems better here.

As for the rest of you if you are deciding on making a move then you need to decide the good (lower cost of living of living, higher $$, no hurricanes, lower taxes, lower h/o insurance) the bad ( leaving friends, state income taxes, familiar surroundings, weather) the ugly (why did I have to leave in the first place what is wrong with this State this was my home I grew up here wow what happened, I will keep you posted further but I would like to hear your storys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 46,488 times
I feel for you, my dad made the move to Hayesville, NC, in the 1980s, at the time the Mountain roads were dirt, the brush thick and magnificent, and the people very friendly. The area boomed in 5 years, now the property is overpriced, the area overcrowded, and the locals are snobs. Dads back in Florida after selling off all of his property. Everyone seems to eb heading to the Georgia, NC, Tenn, and SC areas. I personally wouldn;t go there for all the Tea in China.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:25 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,363,062 times
I've been in Tennessee for fourteen months, having moved from Florida.

You're right. There are lots of Floridians coming and I'm afraid they will make it another Florida. Then you have the locals that are really mad that they are being invaded. It's a bad situation.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:03 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,405,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connielynreturns View Post
I feel for you, my dad made the move to Hayesville, NC, in the 1980s, at the time the Mountain roads were dirt, the brush thick and magnificent, and the people very friendly. The area boomed in 5 years, now the property is overpriced, the area overcrowded, and the locals are snobs. Dads back in Florida after selling off all of his property. Everyone seems to eb heading to the Georgia, NC, Tenn, and SC areas. I personally wouldn;t go there for all the Tea in China.
I got the idea he really likes it although is sad he had to leave Florida not of his own choice. I think it soulds like a nice place. I was just doing some reading about it after reading his post.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:09 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,783,817 times
Default Hi--we moved here too-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

You're right. There are lots of Floridians coming and I'm afraid they will make it another Florida. Then you have the locals that are really mad that they are being invaded. It's a bad situation.

hiknapster- we are in Ne Tenn after moving from So Florida- my husband loves it- but I can see your point- yes it is cheaper- Johnson City is fine- but Carter County-lol- are you going to stay here? I have an MS in Psychology and except for ETSU the market is scarce.

sunny.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:00 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 331,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
hiknapster- we are in Ne Tenn after moving from So Florida- my husband loves it- but I can see your point- yes it is cheaper- Johnson City is fine- but Carter County-lol- are you going to stay here? I have an MS in Psychology and except for ETSU the market is scarce.

sunny.
TN is beautiful. I would move to the Gatlingburg area, if there were more jobs. I lived in KY for a while.

TN rules!

Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 AM

13 posts, read 71,566 times
Default Moving to Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
Hello there everyone who is wanting the truth. Well I'm not a realtor just a hard working school teacher who has read alot of the posts on here and felt your joy and pain of just trying to live a wonderful life somewhere. My wife and I lived in Florida all our lives. It was once a very beautiful place and still has some nice areas. When you grew up and the roads were remote and the only traffic you saw was a possum or deer crossing the road. Now dump trucks, cement trucks going to construction sites semis going to Walmart at all hours, the working folks going to and from the traffic jams, the teenagers racing with their rice rockets or loud mufflers and the boom boxers, and oh yea the 100 yr old snow birds in winter time with their coke bottle glasses going 20 mph in a 55mph zone just to name a few.

My story is my wife and I worked for a local school sytem She was a data entry secretary and I taught coached football worked on my Masters degree in education full time and worked security on weekends to get ahead. We rented a small home and lived within our means, but that would soon change. I thought that once I finished my Masters degree that life would get easier. I soon found out that I was not the only one who was busting their hump and when I finshed I was told I basically could get promoted but it would take awhile politics (long story). In a nutshell as we were watching the bills pile up like some of you rent/mtg going higher, electric up up, car insurance. taxes, borrowing from peter to pay paul extending due dates, living on credit a big no no etc I felt that sinking feeling like swimming with a life preserver but with an anchor attached getting heavier and heavier.

We then heard from a fellow Floridian who lived in Western Carolina in the mountains who invited us to come up for a vacation. We had not had a vacation in 8 years. I had worked 3 jobs for 3 years + worked on Masters for 2 years I need a break. We took off to the mountains gas was $3.15 a gallon but the wife said we are doing it. It costs us about $150 just in gas, but everything else our friend paid for (Thank God) he understood and was living much better than we in NC so he helped us out. The trip was "awesome". We had a great time. And on our way home I turned to my wife and said we have to do something she agreed we can't keep killing ourself like so many hard working middle class Floridians.

Well just to make a long story short unless you want to stay here and read my life story I'm sure you have better things to do, but I applied for a teaching job in the North Georgia Mountains (got a 14k pay raise yea) and was basically hired over the phone. The town was Dahlonega Georgia in the Mountains, very beautiful. The schools are nice and clean and the kids are well mannered small town type. We have made some friends but still miss family in FL. The roads have limited traffic in the mountains, but we are seeing more Florida and other state tags spying property for purchase. This has created a housing increase in these parts. There are 9 subdivisions planned just in this area alone ,so growth is also coming to this area as well.

We are happy we made the move but my wife has had trouble finding a decent paying job in these parts, not much industry unless you go near Atlanta and thats a drive but everyting else is great. The schools sytems where we are are smaller and she has applied to as many a 50 different companies to no avail. As of this time she is still unemployed. We still hold out hope as we really like the area, but we left all our friends in FL and it was scary and we hope we made the right decision. We still think we made the right decision as the costs there in florida are just out of control for middle class working people. right now it stills seems better here.

As for the rest of you if you are deciding on making a move then you need to decide the good (lower cost of living of living, higher $$, no hurricanes, lower taxes, lower h/o insurance) the bad ( leaving friends, state income taxes, familiar surroundings, weather) the ugly (why did I have to leave in the first place what is wrong with this State this was my home I grew up here wow what happened, I will keep you posted further but I would like to hear your storys.
My husband and children are thinking about moving to Florida. He has had a job offer near Winter Haven. We are from Northwest Ohio. I have done alot of research about moving to Florida. Alot of readings that I have read are from individuals who are really negative about Florida. Alot of the factories here are packing up and moving west or south My children are excited about this possibility and I am also. But, with so many unhappy individuals living in Florida, I am concerned(not of the people) but of making a wrong decision.
Can anyone give me some positive feedback on moving to Ohio?

Old 01-04-2007, 01:07 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,992,549 times
Quote:

This is why im relocating to where few others are. Like Oil city, not many are relocating there so its a nice quiet unspoiled place. Ok so its a little "depressed" but ill take that over the problems in Florida. I am still looking at other cities but Oil city is the best so far. Cedar Rapids, IA and Woodsfield, OH are two other good choices.

Quote:
We still think we made the right decision as the costs there in florida are just out of control for middle class working people. right now it stills seems better here.

Everyones leaving Florida except the speculators, they can have their empty houses losing value, we wont play their games. And some rich people or retired snowbirds comming to Florida. Us middle class are outta here. We cant enjoy a normal life in Florida anymore, sad to say.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 AM

89 posts, read 92,553 times
Quote:

I live in North Georgia and youre right every other tag is almost a Floridians and were really getting sick of it. There turning our small towns into the places they left and theres a lot of hostility towards them. They are definetly considered outsiders and arent accepted in the small social circles. Many Floridians that move to North Georgia move back. You see a lot of anti Florida bumper stickers and a lot of rudeness to Floridians. Dont ask directions from a local because usually theyll give you the wrong ones...I know I do.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,763,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYCOUNTRY View Post
I live in North Georgia and youre right every other tag is almost a Floridians and were really getting sick of it. There turning our small towns into the places they left and theres a lot of hostility towards them. They are definetly considered outsiders and arent accepted in the small social circles. Many Floridians that move to North Georgia move back. You see a lot of anti Florida bumper stickers and a lot of rudeness to Floridians. Dont ask directions from a local because usually theyll give you the wrong ones...I know I do.
johnny country i have found the exact opposite when I visit North Georgia. People are very friendly and welcoming, and as I am directionally challenged, i stop to ask directions ALOT and have never once been given the wrong one. Furthermore, I have never been the recipient of hostility etc. I am sure there are some (like you) who feel that way, but thank goodness most people are open and warm. The truth is that the people that want to get out of Florida are doing so because they do not approve of what is happening in Florida now. And they are certainly not the people who caused the problem. I guess you will have to accept the change or be unhappy and resentful of them. Better to accept and welcome than have the attitude that they are "outsiders".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or