U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 1,558 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a young, professional woman in a multicultural relationship. I currently make about 30K. So I'd like to live comfortably enough to afford the occasional theme park visit.

I am looking for quiet, safe, affordable neighborhoods in the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater-Sarasota area and the Outskirts of Orlando i.e Kissimmee, Winter Park, Altamonte Springs etc. Any other areas you can think of.

ATM, I am currently living in SoFlo...I don't like it. I've been seriously considering an out of state move to VA or WA but I find it hard to give up the theme parks, natural parks, beaches, and other amazing fun that Florida has to offer. Also Publix! lol.

My main issue with SoFlo is the high cost of living, the amount of people and the traffic. Down here, a quiet neighborhood will run you upwards of $1200 for a 2/2. And that's for the safe neighborhoods bordering not so safe ones. I need to be able to live comfortably on $30K with rent and a car payment. I want to feel safe walking my dog at night.

I'm looking for a town were if not diverse itself, is at least welcoming to everyone. I am in a multicultural relationship and I don't have the patience for ignorant people. I don't mind the side eyes and long stares but I do mind open hostility and vandalism. So places like Lakeland and Sanford are pretty much a no. lol!

I'll drive 30 or more minutes to entertainment but I do need a Publix close by. I'd like to look for jobs in the area as well. Corporate or government. I'd don't mind 45-1hr mins on the highway to work. Any ideas for areas to search for jobs?

I've heard good things about Brandon, Valrico and Riverview near Tampa and Kissimmee, Winter Park, Altamonte Springs near Orlando? Is it realistic to expect to pay under $900 for a 2/2? I also should point out that were it not for the high cost of living, I'd be happy enough in my sleepy Miramar neighborhood in SoFlo, so I don't care about traffic or an influx of "foreigners and blacks coming in to destroy the neighborhood."

Based on this info, please help me by providing some nice, sleepy, safe areas to live. Thanks so much for helping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 PM

342 posts, read 252,081 times
Your expectations are not realistic for a safe, quiet neighborhood. For anything decent you need to be starting at least $1,000 probably closer to $1,200

Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 PM

In central, FL?! I wouldn't be paying $1200 for 2/2 anywhere but SoFlo. It'd be pointless. That's what I pay now. Pfft. Can't be.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:24 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMuse View Post
I'm looking for a town were if not diverse itself, is at least welcoming to everyone. I am in a multicultural relationship and I don't have the patience for ignorant people. I don't mind the side eyes and long stares but I do mind open hostility and vandalism. So places like Lakeland and Sanford are pretty much a no. lol!
Oh please do tell. I cannot wait to hear the extensive number of bad experiences of "open hostility and vandalism" you have had in the town I reside in, or at the very least name some instances you've heard of. It's always entertaining to find out who the "trustworthy" sources are.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:31 PM

586 posts, read 468,663 times
First of all I find it hard to believe that you're able to find a 2/2 that isn't a complete drug den in the middle of the ghetto for $1200/mo. in SoFla. Plenty of listings will not even pull up anything under $1200 in a somewhat respectable neighborhood.

Here in Central Florida, that's the norm. $1200-$1300 per month for a 2/2 AT LEAST in a halfway decent area. If you want to be in the middle of it all in a "cute, walkable" area like Winter Park like everyone else does, it'll start you around $1500 minimum for an outdated little condo/apartment. Real Estate in Central FL has gotten crazy over the past few years. Many places we're back to peak 07/08 prices.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:40 AM

Believe it or not, I did find such a place. Which is why I'm not budging from SoFLo to go pay higher rent prices and forgo the convenience and entertainment I have access to at the moment. Which neighborhoods were you looking in? Miramar?!! Parkland?!! Gosh. I live down here so I know what I am talking about. I live in a gated community with 24hr security surrounded by a golf course and apartments are 2/2 $1200. I guess I'll just have to dig deep in to the research myself. I'll find something. Thanks, anyway.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:40 PM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Oh please do tell. I cannot wait to hear the extensive number of bad experiences of "open hostility and vandalism" you have had in the town I reside in, or at the very least name some instances you've heard of. It's always entertaining to find out who the "trustworthy" sources are.
*crickets*

Uh-huh, I thought so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or