Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 04:12 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,137,616 times

Advertisements

Elegy for the Sunshine State
For the past five decades, the relentless stream of people pouring into Florida has taken its toll on the state’s environment

By Dexter Filkins
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...sunshine-state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Elegy for the Sunshine State
For the past five decades, the relentless stream of people pouring into Florida has taken its toll on the state’s environment

By Dexter Filkins
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...sunshine-state
Thanks for posting. I thought this was interesting:

"One catastrophic storm that did not turn away—Hurricane Andrew, in 1992—destroyed more than sixty thousand homes in Miami and the surrounding area. After the storm, the Herald did a fascinating investigation in which it compared the pattern of destruction to the ages of the neighborhoods. It turned out that whether a house in Miami survived had very little to do with the speed of the wind. What mattered was the age of the house: the older ones—those built before the nineteen-sixties, when Florida’s boom began, survived almost anything. The new ones crumpled like cereal boxes. Following the storm, Miami’s building code was toughened considerably."

Exactly what I hope to find, a concrete block 1960s home in North Florida that I can update.

Those "toughened" codes only work if the homes are actually built to those standards. Which I suspect many of them are not.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post

"One catastrophic storm that did not turn away—Hurricane Andrew, in 1992—destroyed more than sixty thousand homes in Miami and the surrounding area. After the storm, the Herald did a fascinating investigation in which it compared the pattern of destruction to the ages of the neighborhoods. It turned out that whether a house in Miami survived had very little to do with the speed of the wind. What mattered was the age of the house: the older ones—those built before the nineteen-sixties, when Florida’s boom began, survived almost anything. The new ones crumpled like cereal boxes. Following the storm, Miami’s building code was toughened considerably."

Exactly what I hope to find, a concrete block 1960s home in North Florida that I can update.

Those "toughened" codes only work if the homes are actually built to those standards. Which I suspect many of them are not.
The code now is to Cat 5 standards. They tie the roof to the foundation through the block walls and steel rods with concrete poured through the concrete blocks. The steel is tied together from end to end so that in effect to lift the roof you would have to lift the whole house out of the ground, foundation and all.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:34 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:

I can vouch for these older homes. Our little home in Manatee County was built in 1954 - a one story rancher of concrete block and stucco, on a slab with terrazzo floors. We have MASSIVE roof beams (no trusses) with concrete all the way up. We replaced the roofing shingles when we bought and had hurricane straps added. Add to that we have double pane acoustic windows that the airport installed before we purchased (noise abatement). This little house ain't going nowhere unless a virtual cyclone hits it.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I can vouch for these older homes. Our little home in Manatee County was built in 1954 - a one story rancher of concrete block and stucco, on a slab with terrazzo floors. We have MASSIVE roof beams (no trusses) with concrete all the way up. We replaced the roofing shingles when we bought and had hurricane straps added. Add to that we have double pane acoustic windows that the airport installed before we purchased (noise abatement). This little house ain't going nowhere unless a virtual cyclone hits it.
And that, right there, is EXACTLY how to live in Florida. But try telling that to the folks who have to have two stories, a caged pool and volume ceilings. We rode out Andrew in a small 1934 fishing cottage type house in the bowels of old Ft. Lauderdale made out of...wait for it...Dade County pine. It literally breathed with the storm. We had a bad moment when it shift slightly on the foundation, but it held. Not as secure as yours, though.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:06 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
But try telling that to the folks who have to have two stories, a caged pool and volume ceilings. .
If you have the money to spend, you can do two story poured concrete with a concrete roof and hurricane Windows lol

Old 10-14-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
If you have the money to spend, you can do two story poured concrete with a concrete roof and hurricane Windows lol
I guess, but that's not what I'm seeing in the newer developments. Besides, as you get older, stairs get less attractive.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I guess, but that's not what I'm seeing in the newer developments.
Of course not lol, that's a seven figure house in all likelihood, still can be done though

Old 10-15-2017, 05:40 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
And that, right there, is EXACTLY how to live in Florida. But try telling that to the folks who have to have two stories, a caged pool and volume ceilings. We rode out Andrew in a small 1934 fishing cottage type house in the bowels of old Ft. Lauderdale made out of...wait for it...Dade County pine. It literally breathed with the storm. We had a bad moment when it shift slightly on the foundation, but it held. Not as secure as yours, though.
Don’t see why a pool cage is problematic if it’s built to Miami-Dade standards. Yes, you’ll lose screens but the frame should be fine. The 20-30 year old white cages with little to no tie-downs are going to fly away though.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Don’t see why a pool cage is problematic if it’s built to Miami-Dade standards. Yes, you’ll lose screens but the frame should be fine. The 20-30 year old white cages with little to no tie-downs are going to fly away though.
yup, some people prophylactically cut a screen sometimes, to let the wind through easier, not sure if that works or is a myth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: