U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2008, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times
Default Moving to Florida...HELP!!!

I am a student at UNC Charlotte and have lived in Charlotte, NC my entire life. I am looking for a new experience and am intersted in moving to Florida once i graduate with my degree. I was wondering which areas would be the most recommended. The beach would be my main concern and also nightlife. I was curious about the cost of living considering that I will just be getting out of college. Please help me out!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,451 times
Since you specifically stated that the beach is important I'll comment on that first.

Each coastal community has it's own unique personality. For example, [SIZE=-1]Sanibel and Captiva are barrier islands on the west coast where the scenery is almost identical to that of southern Hutchinson Island on the east coast. And yet they feel different somehow. Really the only way to know which you're compatable with is to visit extensively.

Mainland beaches (with no barrier island) tend to have more of an "old Florida" feel, with the exception of those in large metro areas.

I will say that the population is generally younger on the east coast. And perhaps a little more laid-back.

One simply can't beat the nightlife in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade Counties. South Beach offers an international element, not to mention a more permissive and lifestyle tolerant social structure.

As far as "cost of living" you're better off in a panhandle community like Fort Walton or Panama City. There's nightlife, if you know where to go, and the beaches are beautiful.

As a general rule, the west coast is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. The same is doubly true for the panhandle area. And outside major metro areas, employment opportunities seem better on the east coast.

All things considered, the area between Vero Beach and Jupiter probably offers the best of all your requirements. You're also within an hour or two of world class nightlife.

Good luck,
Dave

Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,138,597 times
What kind of degree are you getting. That is going to depend on where you should live in order to be able to make a living.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 AM

10,080 posts, read 11,022,699 times
You need to say more about what's important to you. West coast and panhandle beaches are pretty, but life is very different from the east coast. East coast life is different depending on whether you are south, which is more sophisticated and international, but also expensive OR whether you are north, which is more laid back, old Florida.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 AM

2,467 posts, read 3,122,568 times
If you have been living in Charlotte then you are used to having things available to you. It's a more cosmo area than other places in NC.

We all need to know what kind of job you will be looking for to give you a better idea of where to look.

I also agree with dardave about the East coast being better for night life. Vero south to the Palm Beach County line has no night life. We have to drive to Jupiter/West Palm Beach for that. There you can find anything and everything as well as plenty of businesses.

More info about you please....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida