U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,267,244 times

Advertisements

Is anyone taking off from work during bike week? I normally go to St Augustine and maybe visit Daytona....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 AM

2,517 posts, read 9,915,157 times
up to 6 dead so far because of this event

Old 03-04-2008, 06:36 AM

15,208 posts, read 31,178,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
up to 6 dead so far because of this event
Yeah, there's always a lot of fatalities associated with it sad to say. I wouldn't want to go anywhere near it, especially since it's in my least favorite Florida place, Daytona.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 AM

172 posts, read 873,705 times
I wish A friend of mine always goes to Bike Week with a sweet new bike he just finished building. From my understanding, most of the people he meets up with also bring their most recent projects along. I'd love to go just to check out everyone's work!

Have fun while you're out there! Take some pictures!

Last edited by whippersnapper; 03-04-2008 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: typo!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,350,793 times
Though i love Daytona and have been to all of the big events at least once to experience it, I won't go to bike week again. Not interested in seeing 50 year old women wearing nothing but body paint walking the streets. UGH.....

Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Though i love Daytona and have been to all of the big events at least once to experience it, I won't go to bike week again. Not interested in seeing 50 year old women wearing nothing but body paint walking the streets. UGH.....

In St Augustine is a lot better...

Old 03-04-2008, 04:31 PM

200 posts, read 617,620 times
I have been to Bike Week every year since 1990 and wow what a change. We were also MSF instructors here in the Daytona area. Taught many newbies (and oldies) to ride SAFER and SMARTER so we support Bike Week BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT it has changed so much! I agree - I also get tired of seeing not only 50+ yr old women wearing less and less as they ride but also those counterparts...my heavens does everyone have a white beard now?! HA!

But seriously it is fun for the motorcycle enthusiast. Fun to see the latest and high tech gear, accessories and bikes. But this year WAS A LET DOWN, sadly to report...many vendors did not come. Not sure due to the price of gas or the price of having your own booth, or what. Maybe the economy has put fear in folks thinking no one would buy anything anyway. I did see some vendors selling items that you can get at HARBOR FREIGHT for nearly 50% less! That is sad.....so who knows.

Fun to ride the demo bikes...for free! Just have to have the smart gear (a helmet and long pants,etc) and DL with MC endorsement and you can ride from a Harley Cruiser to a Ducati Sport Bike! Now that is WAY COOL!!!

But if you are not a motorcyclist, you may not want to go. You won't appreciate it. But Thursday, being a motorcyclist, one can actually ride the Daytona 500 track! That is new and that is cool. BMW used to offer demo rides in there (WAY COOL) but now it is opened to anyone to come in and do a "parade" lap or two on their own mc. COOL! As you can see, I love it, but as stated earlier, need to be a fan of motorcycles or it WILL drive you nuts!!

Oh and BTW, when you read the details of most of the mc fataliies, you will see there would be at least one or two major factors that COULD have been avoided in nearly 99% of the accidents!!

But I would say, if you are a Floridian, you do need to go to one just to see it - you may find out you will enjoy it! Motorcyclists are usually the most friendliest (and best tippers) in the world!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,748,384 times
I am only about 45 miles from Daytona, so we are gonna putt over there on Thursday, if it doesnt rain, this will be my 16th year of going.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM

200 posts, read 617,620 times
I think you will be fine with Thursday weather - we are going down again tomorrow, too...suppose to have Eric Buell (who built/design Buell) at the Seminole Harley (Mt Dora exit area off of I-4)..and the Daytona track's open for the ride/parade. Be safe and have fun!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 PM

22 posts, read 67,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Is anyone taking off from work during bike week? I normally go to St Augustine and maybe visit Daytona....
Not taking time off work...a little busy right now but sill making time to see the excitement. This is my second bike week in Daytona and I have to admit it is still pretty cool to see everything. My first year I was still trying to figure out where Main Street was.

Living and loving Daytona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or