U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:57 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp101 View Post
That's not 100% true what you're saying about property taxes. For example, my 2900 sq ft house in Austin is almost 12k in property tax.

One house in Lutz FL I'm looking at is 4500 sq ft and has a tax of only 8k.
Yes, that person is crazy exaggerating. Taxes here should be a lot lower than what you are paying in Texas. We live in Sarasota, it's a small, older home (1500 sq ft.) and are taxes are less than 1500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 05:07 PM

5,981 posts, read 3,361,882 times
Florida on average has half the property tax rates than the Texas average.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 AM

67 posts, read 54,503 times
So, DW just got in from St. Pete's last night. Said she loved the area and they stayed at a condo only a few minutes from the beach.

I personally would like "more house for my money", meaning, I'd be okay with a 30-40 ride to the beach (Land O Lakes, Lutz, Wesley Chapel)... but she mentions part of the beauty to being in FL is proximity to the beach.

Any suggestions? Apollo beach, cape coral, Bradenton, St. Petes, Tampa, Sarasota, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Osprey, Palmetto??

Old 03-01-2017, 08:46 AM

21,109 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Quote:
So, DW just got in from St. Pete's last night. Said she loved the area and they stayed at a condo only a few minutes from the beach.

I personally would like "more house for my money", meaning, I'd be okay with a 30-40 ride to the beach (Land O Lakes, Lutz, Wesley Chapel)... but she mentions part of the beauty to being in FL is proximity to the beach.

Any suggestions? Apollo beach, cape coral, Bradenton, St. Petes, Tampa, Sarasota, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Osprey, Palmetto??
Beach proximity can be an important thing as living inland can often eliminate that spur of the moment perk of going to the beach versus having to plan for it and set aside a day. It's also a day/night different feel closer to the coast in my opinion ranging from architecture and plants/trees. Beachside has more of a tropical feel while inland often looks and feels no different than parts of Georgia or South Carolina. Of the list you provided Cape Coral is going to give you the best bang for your buck on the coast and is part of a fast-growing metro area (Fort Myers-Cape Coral). St Pete is my favorite big city in Florida and you can find some nicer homes in established NE neighborhoods like Snell Isle, Shore Acres, Placido Bayou, Allendale Terrace-Five Points, Magnolia Heights, Woodlawn, Euclid-St Paul's and Crescent Lake/Crescent Heights. Bear in mind these are older neighborhoods with generally well kept-up homes and not the cookie-cutter new construction if that's your preference. If that is in fact your preference and want to feel like you're on the coast, Cape Coral is probably your best bet for the money.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:03 PM

5,981 posts, read 3,361,882 times
Quote:

I have friends in Apollo Beach with a boat slip behind their house. Great until bad weather comes in.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:32 PM

197 posts, read 136,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, that person is crazy exaggerating. Taxes here should be a lot lower than what you are paying in Texas. We live in Sarasota, it's a small, older home (1500 sq ft.) and are taxes are less than 1500.
Unbelieveable.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:20 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,519,598 times
Since you work at home, you probably need to make sure you have great Internet service and back up the normal DSL or cable Internet with a cellular Internet hot spot. I don't know how common good Internet is in Florida. For example, you mentioned you could live anywhere. If you lived in many areas in Hawaii, the Internet might not be available, even though it should technically be available. There are situations in Hawaii where all the ports are consumed in an area. For some reason, they don't simply add more ports. People that want the Internet in certain areas where the ports are consumed, have to call every day, hoping that someone else moved or quit paying, making a port a available. I think that whole situation is stupid. You'd think the Internet provider would add more ports to maximize the number of customers, but they don't. You'd think that the Internet provider would simply set up a waiting list so you don't have call once a day, and they have to answer your call every day, but they don't because they are stupid.

So, you might check the quality and reliablity of good high speed Internet when narrowing down your location. I know a guy in Minnesota who can't get DSL for some reason and can't get cable Internet, so he's stuck with satellite Internet, which is lousy compared to DSL or cable. There are hardware devices that don't cost too much where you can attach multiple Internet providers. For example you could have both DSL and cable Internet feed into the device and it load balances for more speed. If one service goes out, you automatically have the other service. Or, if you had only crappy, slow DSL, you could put two or three DSLs into the device to get double or triple the speed. But each service you subscribe to jacks up your monthly cost. Maybe using a cellular hot spot on your cellphone as a back up would be good enough. When I'm on-call I use a company provided hot spot device, so my laptop works anywhere, I'm not stuck at home. My Internet service did go out when I was on-call once, and having the hot spot prevented an annoying drive into the office in the middle of the night.

So, check the Internet availability. I asssume you can't work at home without a working Internet connection.

I understand that Austin in a very liberal mecca of Texas. A lot of areas in Florida are conservative, which you might not like. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in an extremely liberal area.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:07 AM

10,092 posts, read 12,151,050 times
Quote:
My wife and I currently live in Austin TX, however, we're considering a move to Florida. Mainly to be around the beaches & water. We have visited many parts of FL and of course read a ton of positive & negative comments about the State.

We don't have kids yet, Wife is 29 and I'm 32. Our budget for a home would a max of about $750k.

We would want to buy in an area that is close to great beaches, no more than 30-minute commute. And fairly close to a major airport. Must have at least .25 acre of land.

Coming from Austin we're spoiled with great restaurants, very safe communities, and plenty of entertainment & activities. The people in Austin are very nice and what has concerned me about FL is that everyone tells me there are rude people in a lot of areas... What's that all about? :-/ We do have bugs & snakes in Austin but low humidity. FL apparently is very high humidity and lots of bugs...

I work from home and she's currently not working, so commuting or traffic isn't really a consideration. Personally, I'd like to see us end up in an area that's close to good golf courses, decent night life/restaurants, good shopping, and safe area with NICE PEOPLE

I have been looking at a lot of houses online, but, I really haven't been impressed with what I've seen. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas.

We have been discussing St. Pete's, Sarasota, Delray, Clearwater, Orlando, Boca. My wife loves the beaches in Seista Key.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you!
Forget Sarasota/Clearwater/Boca........old people central, Boca makes it rude old people!

Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 AM

10,092 posts, read 12,151,050 times
Quote:

Rule out everything on this list except St Pete/Tampa.......those other places will bore you to death unless you think Applebees is a great place to eat 7 nights a week.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:47 AM

21,109 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Rule out everything on this list except St Pete/Tampa.......those other places will bore you to death unless you think Applebees is a great place to eat 7 nights a week.
Sarasota and Fort Myers-Cape Coral have a lot more going on than Applebee's if you knew anything about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or