U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM

67 posts, read 54,068 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Austin TX, however, we're considering a move to Florida. Mainly to be around the beaches & water. We have visited many parts of FL and of course read a ton of positive & negative comments about the State.

We don't have kids yet, Wife is 29 and I'm 32. Our budget for a home would a max of about $750k.

We would want to buy in an area that is close to great beaches, no more than 30-minute commute. And fairly close to a major airport. Must have at least .25 acre of land.

Coming from Austin we're spoiled with great restaurants, very safe communities, and plenty of entertainment & activities. The people in Austin are very nice and what has concerned me about FL is that everyone tells me there are rude people in a lot of areas... What's that all about? :-/ We do have bugs & snakes in Austin but low humidity. FL apparently is very high humidity and lots of bugs...

I work from home and she's currently not working, so commuting or traffic isn't really a consideration. Personally, I'd like to see us end up in an area that's close to good golf courses, decent night life/restaurants, good shopping, and safe area with NICE PEOPLE

I have been looking at a lot of houses online, but, I really haven't been impressed with what I've seen. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas.

We have been discussing St. Pete's, Sarasota, Delray, Clearwater, Orlando, Boca. My wife loves the beaches in Seista Key.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 11:53 AM

21,073 posts, read 30,098,561 times
You mention not being impressed with what you're finding for homes online, what are you looking for exactly that's missing in that price bracket?

Old 02-26-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You mention not being impressed with what you're finding for homes online, what are you looking for exactly that's missing in that price bracket?
Lots of the homes were just boring looking. Nothing unique that stood out as custom or creative layouts/architecture. I prefer hard wood floors, granite counters. Most of the homes were carpeted and had tile floors throughout.

To add to my original post... Anyone have opinions on Fernadina Beach/Amelia Island area? What about Gulf Breeze?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp101 View Post
Lots of the homes were just boring looking. Nothing unique that stood out as custom or creative layouts/architecture. I prefer hard wood floors, granite counters. Most of the homes were carpeted and had tile floors throughout.
Of most of the locations you listed something more custom/architecturally interesting tends to fall into a higher price bracket, especially on the coast where your price point is closer to the median than "high end". Miami/Ft Lauderdale is probably going to be your best bet in that department with much more of a tendency for modern/interesting than the rest of the state, which tends more "Florida traditional" otherwise.

Last edited by kyle19125; 02-26-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 12:20 PM

Architecture aside, do you have any advice about my other questions? I don't want you to get the impression that we need to live in a fully custom mansion

Old 02-26-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp101 View Post
My wife and I currently live in Austin TX, however, we're considering a move to Florida. Mainly to be around the beaches & water. We have visited many parts of FL and of course read a ton of positive & negative comments about the State.

We don't have kids yet, Wife is 29 and I'm 32. Our budget for a home would a max of about $750k.

We would want to buy in an area that is close to great beaches, no more than 30-minute commute. And fairly close to a major airport. Must have at least .25 acre of land.

Coming from Austin we're spoiled with great restaurants, very safe communities, and plenty of entertainment & activities. The people in Austin are very nice and what has concerned me about FL is that everyone tells me there are rude people in a lot of areas... What's that all about? :-/ We do have bugs & snakes in Austin but low humidity. FL apparently is very high humidity and lots of bugs...

I work from home and she's currently not working, so commuting or traffic isn't really a consideration. Personally, I'd like to see us end up in an area that's close to good golf courses, decent night life/restaurants, good shopping, and safe area with NICE PEOPLE

I have been looking at a lot of houses online, but, I really haven't been impressed with what I've seen. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas.

We have been discussing St. Pete's, Sarasota, Delray, Clearwater, Orlando, Boca. My wife loves the beaches in Seista Key.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you!
Combining your needs outside of housing style and drawing comparison to Austin I think your best bet is going to be St Pete. It has a rapidly increasing younger population moving in and making a lot of great changes in terms of driving development especially in/around the downtown area. From my experiences as a native Floridian I find it the friendliest of the major cities and probably among the top few most progressive. People love to rail about the humidity being so high but you get used to largely, though some I guess never do. Being from Texas I don't foresee either of you being "delicate flowers" since you know all about long summers anyway, in other words probably a non-issue. Bugs aren't that big of a problem but given your price bracket would figure you could probably afford routine pest control applications, which are highly recommended. Focus in on the neighborhoods northeast and northwest downtown like Old Northeast, Uptown/Crescent Lake, Snell Isle, Shore Acres and Placido Bayou.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Any advice on Yulee or Jacksonville 32226?

Old 02-26-2017, 01:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,459,650 times
do you both work if so I would look around that area. Sarasota has homes in your price range also and is near beaches. most homes are different than in the north and hardwood often does not do well here. Living on Cape Cod homes came with hard wood most people did carpet over it why cold in winter also try having people from the beach track in sand and the dog whatever-

Old 02-26-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
do you both work if so I would look around that area. Sarasota has homes in your price range also and is near beaches
Wife doesn't work. I work from home, so we can pretty much go anywhere.

Is Sarasota safe? I've read mixed reviews online.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-15-2017 at 07:19 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 01:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 1,347,791 times
You are going to have trouble finding good answers here. Your request is just too broad. Nobody is an expert on ALL of Florida. It's a huge State. You should focus on the areas you like, then ask questions in those specific sub forums and stay focused on those specific areas for better advice and information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or