U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:18 PM

40 posts, read 32,650 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am seriously considering moving to Florida, but I really don't know where to start when it comes to what areas to look into. So a little about me and what I'm looking for:

1. I am a 50 year old, young at heart, single woman.

2. I am interested in affordable coastal rentals (I understand that affordable is relative, so please read on) where the job market is good (especially in the construction industry). I live in a walkable area now and I really like to be able to walk to restaurants and bars and whatnot.

3. I was just laid off from my job here in Seattle, so I will be looking into job opportunities as well. I have no clue what the job market looks like, but I generally work within the construction industry. My jobs have been classified as project coordinator, construction accountant, office manager, payroll, AP, HR and typically a combination of all or some. I am not sure what to expect for that skill set as far as pay goes.

4. The cost of living is pretty high here, but I've managed to make it work on my own. Normal rent here for a 2 BR is about $1800+ per month (and that is for the basics....nothing fancy). My rent is less than that because I've rented for several years from my landlords and they've been awesome enough to not raise my rent. I don't want to be paying that much because I'm somewhat confident that I would be making much less money there.

5. I know nobody in Florida but am hoping that I can find a place to live where it's easy to meet people.

With this info, could you give me some advice on what to expect in wages and what towns to begin my search? My priories are:

1. Job Market
2. Affordable housing
3. Lots of fun things to do, preferably within walking distance
4. Not insane traffic (Seattle is just horrible and I'm done with it)
5. I would really love to live near the beach

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 02:18 PM

21,075 posts, read 30,111,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4travel55 View Post
Hi everyone. I am seriously considering moving to Florida, but I really don't know where to start when it comes to what areas to look into. So a little about me and what I'm looking for:

2. I am interested in affordable coastal rentals (I understand that affordable is relative, so please read on) where the job market is good (especially in the construction industry). I live in a walkable area now and I really like to be able to walk to restaurants and bars and whatnot.

3. I was just laid off from my job here in Seattle, so I will be looking into job opportunities as well. I have no clue what the job market looks like, but I generally work within the construction industry. My jobs have been classified as project coordinator, construction accountant, office manager, payroll, AP, HR and typically a combination of all or some. I am not sure what to expect for that skill set as far as pay goes.

4. The cost of living is pretty high here, but I've managed to make it work on my own. Normal rent here for a 2 BR is about $1800+ per month (and that is for the basics....nothing fancy). My rent is less than that because I've rented for several years from my landlords and they've been awesome enough to not raise my rent. I don't want to be paying that much because I'm somewhat confident that I would be making much less money there.

5. I know nobody in Florida but am hoping that I can find a place to live where it's easy to meet people.

With this info, could you give me some advice on what to expect in wages and what towns to begin my search? My priories are:

1. Job Market
2. Affordable housing

Given your desire for coastal, fairly affordable, a sense of walkability, things to do and a friendlier vibe I would recommend downtown St Petersburg. I'm not an expert on salaries but a quick look on Indeed seems to show an average around 50K but given your experience imagine could go higher.

Downtown St Petersburg Florida - Official Discover Downtown St Petersburg Guide & Map
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...31_rect/14_zm/

Old 03-15-2017, 02:53 PM

17,370 posts, read 10,457,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given your desire for coastal, fairly affordable, a sense of walkability, things to do and a friendlier vibe I would recommend downtown St Petersburg. I'm not an expert on salaries but a quick look on Indeed seems to show an average around 50K but given your experience imagine could go higher.

Downtown St Petersburg Florida - Official Discover Downtown St Petersburg Guide & Map
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...31_rect/14_zm/
Traffic however is not good.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:09 PM
TD*

1,511 posts, read 3,108,296 times
Check out Tallahassee and live in Midtown.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:46 AM

17,370 posts, read 10,457,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4travel55 View Post

1. Job Market
2. Affordable housing

Check the Central East Coast of FL. Lots of variety, big city, small city and close to major cities like Orlando. The East Coast is more like the West Coast beaches that you would be used to, though the variety in amenities varies from city to city. I will be there next week looking for a place to move to. Born and raised in SoCal.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:04 AM

6,236 posts, read 6,890,788 times
Jacksonville is probably the best balance of affordable beach living + job opportunities. There are only a few walkable pockets in the beaches areas, but most of it is very bike able. And I suppose walkable too but more in the Florida-sense than Seattle. You'll see tons of people on beach cruisers (bicycles) than anything else.

New construction projects are booming these days, especially at the beaches, but that's relative...probably a drop in the bucket compared to the west coast and other parts of FL.

Generally I find people in Jax are easy to meet, but I never moved here knowing nobody so take it fwiw.

Good luck!!

Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 AM

4,769 posts, read 5,299,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Jacksonville is probably the best balance of affordable beach living + job opportunities. There are only a few walkable pockets in the beaches areas, but most of it is very bike able. And I suppose walkable too but more in the Florida-sense than Seattle. You'll see tons of people on beach cruisers (bicycles) than anything else.

New construction projects are booming these days, especially at the beaches, but that's relative...probably a drop in the bucket compared to the west coast and other parts of FL.

Generally I find people in Jax are easy to meet, but I never moved here knowing nobody so take it fwiw.

Good luck!!
+1

Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Thanks for your replies! Very helpful.

I know that pockets of crime are everywhere, but how big of a concern is this really? I mean to say that you can live in an area with virtually no crime and yet the one crime a month could easily happen to you. But based off of the suggestions (Jacksonville, Mid East Coast and Tampa Bay Area) is the crime rate better in any of these areas?

I know that I stand a better chance of employment in a larger city, so I'm expecting a bit of a commute, but hopefully not treacherous (like Seattle). Are most of your roads going in and out of the city toll roads? For me to cross the bridge into seattle, it costs $4.10 each way. Ridiculous in my opinion!

Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Check the Central East Coast of FL. Lots of variety, big city, small city and close to major cities like Orlando. The East Coast is more like the West Coast beaches that you would be used to, though the variety in amenities varies from city to city. I will be there next week looking for a place to move to. Born and raised in SoCal.
Would you mind letting me know what you think when you get there, Expat? I love SoCal. Lots of family and friends in HB and SD. I should be considering that as an option but for some reason, FL is sucking me in! Why are you moving if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM

21,075 posts, read 30,111,369 times
[quote=kyle19125;47518677]Given your desire for coastal, fairly affordable, a sense of walkability, things to do and a friendlier vibe I would recommend downtown St Petersburg. I'm not an expert on salaries but a quick look on Indeed seems to show an average around 50K but given your experience imagine could go higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Traffic however is not good.
St Pete traffic is a vacation from Seattle, and certainly almost never termed as "horrible" by anyone who has lived in other major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or