U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM
 
11 posts, read 5,514 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are looking to move, and are open to any suggestions. Currently, we live in Wichita, KS. We desperately want to get out. Before you make assumptions about cornfields, it's nothing like that! But, neither of us are from here and it's just not suiting for our lifestyle. Background: My finance and I have been together since we were teens and we're now in our twenties. My fiancé's father took a job in KS years ago and once I was able, I followed. Fast forward: We've been here for five years now and it's just not for us. I tried to make it like an adventure when I first got here, but there's really not much.. There's really nothing to do other than shop, go places to eat and maybe visit the zoo. We have a couple of museums as well, but once you've been to them that's about it.

Now, we have a two month old son and what it really stems down to is neither of us are happy where we're at and we want to move somewhere where our son can have options other than just playing sports and going to the zoo. It also gets so hot here in the summer that on most days you can't go outside. We want him to experience things and have a great childhood. Preferably, we want to be somewhere that also has outdoor options and beautiful scenery within a reasonable distance. Somewhere safe with good schools. My mom and sister live in a Fort Lauderdale, but I feel as though Sourh Florida is out of the question. We want less of a party scene I suppose.

Here's the hard part. Since we're saving up for a wedding and have a two month old, our budget is limited. We could only pay about $700-$800 worth of rent (I know it's not a lot). We want to be somewhere where safe that's actually realistic and where we wouldn't have a terrible time getting a job. My fiancé is looking for apprenticeships and I work in a school setting with special needs. Any suggestions are appreciated! If you've made it this far, thank you!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2017, 01:54 PM
 
18,528 posts, read 25,111,303 times
Reputation: 15550
For starters, South Florida isn't a "party scene" largely and has a great many desirable family-friendly neighborhoods with some of the state's best schools. That aside you're not going to be able to afford it there or the Orlando and Tampa Bay areas either unless you're willing to push comfort level in less than desirable areas which is doubtful with a small child. Jacksonville however would offer a lot of work opportunity in one of the fastest growing cities in the country that for now anyway is still affordable and offers salaries on par with other large Florida cities. In addition suburban Jacksonville area schools (St Johns County, Clay County and Nassau County) are all in the top 10 rated school districts in the state. Attached are some ideas of apartments in the areas as well.

1 Bedroom Apartments for Rent in Jacksonville, FL
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM
 
11 posts, read 5,514 times
Reputation: 18
Thank you that's very helpful!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 PM
 
13,271 posts, read 6,869,937 times
Reputation: 5188
Quote:
Originally Posted by setthescenery View Post
My fiancé and I are looking to move, and are open to any suggestions. Currently, we live in Wichita, KS. We desperately want to get out. Before you make assumptions about cornfields, it's nothing like that! But, neither of us are from here and it's just not suiting for our lifestyle. Background: My finance and I have been together since we were teens and we're now in our twenties. My fiancé's father took a job in KS years ago and once I was able, I followed. Fast forward: We've been here for five years now and it's just not for us. I tried to make it like an adventure when I first got here, but there's really not much.. There's really nothing to do other than shop, go places to eat and maybe visit the zoo. We have a couple of museums as well, but once you've been to them that's about it.

Now, we have a two month old son and what it really stems down to is neither of us are happy where we're at and we want to move somewhere where our son can have options other than just playing sports and going to the zoo. It also gets so hot here in the summer that on most days you can't go outside. We want him to experience things and have a great childhood. Preferably, we want to be somewhere that also has outdoor options and beautiful scenery within a reasonable distance. Somewhere safe with good schools. My mom and sister live in a Fort Lauderdale, but I feel as though Sourh Florida is out of the question. We want less of a party scene I suppose.

Here's the hard part. Since we're saving up for a wedding and have a two month old, our budget is limited. We could only pay about $700-$800 worth of rent (I know it's not a lot). We want to be somewhere where safe that's actually realistic and where we wouldn't have a terrible time getting a job. My fiancé is looking for apprenticeships and I work in a school setting with special needs. Any suggestions are appreciated! If you've made it this far, thank you!
Do you have jobs in FL?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 PM
 
11 posts, read 5,514 times
Reputation: 18
Not right now. We're just entertaining the idea and want to see if we could realistically make it happen on a $800-$900 budget.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM
 
18,528 posts, read 25,111,303 times
Reputation: 15550
Quote:
Originally Posted by setthescenery View Post
Not right now. We're just entertaining the idea and want to see if we could realistically make it happen on a $800-$900 budget.
You could if you have enough saved to live on for I would say a minimum of 6 months. Obtaining employment from out of state is next to impossible outside of a few occupations, or transferring with a current employer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Port Charlotte
3,827 posts, read 3,781,952 times
Reputation: 3195
The jobs prospects in Florida trend to service-level salaries. In Charlotte County, $12-15 an hour is common.

As a starting family, I would look Georgia, Texas, North Carolina. All have strong economies, active job markets, and growth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM
 
Location: South Florida
4,345 posts, read 4,137,274 times
Reputation: 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
The jobs prospects in Florida trend to service-level salaries. In Charlotte County, $12-15 an hour is common.

As a starting family, I would look Georgia, Texas, North Carolina. All have strong economies, active job markets, and growth.

+1
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM
 
18,528 posts, read 25,111,303 times
Reputation: 15550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
The jobs prospects in Florida trend to service-level salaries. In Charlotte County, $12-15 an hour is common.

As a starting family, I would look Georgia, Texas, North Carolina. All have strong economies, active job markets, and growth.
In most of Florida, but a city like Jacksonville is NOT mired in the tourist trade as much as the rest of the state, in fact Jacksonville's median income is a substantial $6000 higher than the rest of Florida (55K to FL average 49K).

The most populated jobs in Jacksonville are Trade Transportation and Utilities in 1st, followed by Health and Education Services, Professional and Business Services in 3rd well ahead of Leisure and Hospitality services in 4th, which is barely ahead of Government in 5th and and not far back Financial Services in 6th.

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.fl_jacksonville_msa.htm
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top