U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:41 PM

17,878 posts, read 17,711,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Lakeland, but it sucks there. My opinion only. If people disagree, I don't mind or particularly care.
I agree with you, but that's their only option really unless the OP lives in Celebration and deals with the long commute. The only logical choice would be Lakeland, but that's why I recommended they visit first. It's too small for me, but might be okay for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM

17,878 posts, read 17,711,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Sounds like it might not be worth it. According to some stats I saw online, Lakeland appears to be sort of...poor. median income was like 18,000 or something and 35% of people below poverty line, like whoa man. Then about an hour congested drive for each...meh. maybe I can find something in Orlando, I'm sure there's plenty of urgent care and testing labs and such.
Yeah, that would be your best bet. Try to land a job in Orlando and enjoy your life haha.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:00 AM

686 posts, read 395,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I agree with you, but that's their only option really unless the OP lives in Celebration and deals with the long commute. The only logical choice would be Lakeland, but that's why I recommended they visit first. It's too small for me, but might be okay for some people.
I think they would both hate it, both for the local "flavor" and having to suffer on I-4 every day.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:53 AM

201 posts, read 126,082 times
Hi LordHelmit,
Well, Raleigh is a great place, with predictable traffic.
Tampa does not have predictable traffic, to me it seemed busy all the time (no predictability seasonally or a defined "rush hour" no rhyme or reason to it) and if there's a jam or accident well...

Orlando I've driven through a lot, and it actually seemed better than Tampa but although there will be stretches of no jams you likely won't get through without one (that seems like it will never end). So I honestly think if you did try to go 1/2 way both of you would be unhappy and worried about being late to work or trapped going home.

In regards to time- technically as other posters mentioned many places are not that far milewise. IF There IS no TRAFFIC! But in Tampa there is for sure as described earlier. I think Brandon is nice and some areas around Brandon, reasonable in price and safety but again, that is "ok" for you but worse (further) for her. The rain is another issue, personally I don't mind driving long distances but not in the torrential rains. So I always felt I had to live far closer than I would have elsewhere.

If you are in the medical field, I'd say just get a job in Orlando (assuming she has a rehire letter for Disney in hand). OR, if you are not 100% sure you'd like to live in FL forever, focus on Tampa, in a year if you love Florida then worry about another job transfer.

Another idea- depending on your flexibility of work hours is to work longer shifts so you don't have to travel as often.

NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Afternoon CD. This is just a possibility we are looking into sometime in the next 2 years or so.

I can easily transfer my job to Tampa. The location would be right by the airport. My fiancee previously worked at Disney in Orlando, and wants to go back. I wouldn't kind living in Florida, but my company has no facility in Orlando. Is it possible to live somewhere in the middle and we both commute to our respective cities for work? Not sure on how bad traffic is. Right now, I drive 40-50 mins to work and would like to keep it in that range or less obvi I sly. We would both be making between 15 and 20 bucks an hour which is more than enough in Raleigh where we are now. Neither of us go clubbing or drinking or abything, so we are fine with boring suburbs...if it's even realistically possible. Google maps says 1 hr 22 mins between dt Tampa and dt Orlando. Yay? Nay?

Old 03-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Whu

22 posts, read 38,888 times
This would be a horrible commuting situation for both of you. I can't imagine anything worse in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or