U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:01 PM

461 posts, read 356,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
LOVE California.
No doubt it's a beautiful place with some of the most striking natural scenery in the country. I mean really, Yosemite was jaw dropping, the redwoods? unbelievable.. Big Sur? OMG!!! beautiful. San Luis Obispo, picture perfect, LA and San Diego, beautiful tall palm trees with stunning views of the ocean in many areas.

No one can deny the fact that California is gorgeous and super diverse.

Florida, while pretty and with amazing beaches can't even be compared. It's not as progressive or foreward thinking as the west coast. People here dont have a vision for the future of the state. There's no innovative trends or ideas coming out of Florida. It seems like a lot of places look exactly the same... lots of strip malls, housing developments, swamps, etc. Yes, we have fantastic beaches and beautiful winter weather and miami is about as "big city" as one can get in FL, but Miami doesn't have that "let's make something of ourselves" energy that I can feel in places like San Fran, LA. Miami is more like flashy and image obsessed materialism. Not saying that's a bad thing, but people come to Miami to get drunk on the beach and party.....not to innovate and create like they do in CA. There's no silicon valley here in FL. There's no Hollywood. There's no jaw-dropping natural scenery. FLorida doesn't give you that "anything's possible" energy like California does.
I was waiting for someone to mention the backwards vibe Florida has. It shows TINY indications things are improving but not enough.

I am not a California fan now mind you.. I spent time there in the Sacramento area and while I say this.. Sacramento which is considered a cowtown by some, I get the joke and I get why but I find overall that its a more forward town than Tampa is and more progressive. Some say they're close though. I say Sac has the edge though as far as the overall city being nicer goes. The ghetto is nicer also in Sacramento by a good deal. I like the Cuban vibe in some of FL and the cigars like in Ybor but again ya, FL is regressive next to California with social issues. California is overtaxed, FL has no income tax so its almost like they're 2 extremes that lead to the same thing in their own way. I would say the republican vibe in both is similar though. Like El Dorado Hills, Orange County, Roseville is like Sarasota, Carrollwood, Safety Harbor and so forth. FL and California do have similarities especially when you stack up Californias republican areas up to it.. definitely. FL doesn't have a San Francisco though and the capitol city is a backwater next to Sacramento. But if I had my pick on the west coast, I'd probably go to Olympia WA area. That is still further in progress even if it isn't Seattle.

Truthfully, I think I'd love California in an earlier time. I didn't like it so much when I went. Everything was overrun and I ended up in Sacramento which was getting overrun but wasn't like other CA cities and some of it was affordable too. While I think Sac isn't the most ahead place, its more behind than the Boston area I think, but its for sure ahead of Florida.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:24 PM

786 posts, read 490,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
I was waiting for someone to mention the backwards vibe Florida has. It shows TINY indications things are improving but not enough.

I am not a California fan now mind you.. I spent time there in the Sacramento area and while I say this.. Sacramento which is considered a cowtown by some, I get the joke and I get why but I find overall that its a more forward town than Tampa is and more progressive. Some say they're close though. I say Sac has the edge though as far as the overall city being nicer goes. The ghetto is nicer also in Sacramento by a good deal. I like the Cuban vibe in some of FL and the cigars like in Ybor but again ya, FL is regressive next to California with social issues. California is overtaxed, FL has no income tax so its almost like they're 2 extremes that lead to the same thing in their own way. I would say the republican vibe in both is similar though. Like El Dorado Hills, Orange County, Roseville is like Sarasota, Carrollwood, Safety Harbor and so forth. FL and California do have similarities especially when you stack up Californias republican areas up to it.. definitely. FL doesn't have a San Francisco though and the capitol city is a backwater next to Sacramento. But if I had my pick on the west coast, I'd probably go to Olympia WA area. That is still further in progress even if it isn't Seattle.

Truthfully, I think I'd love California in an earlier time. I didn't like it so much when I went. Everything was overrun and I ended up in Sacramento which was getting overrun but wasn't like other CA cities and some of it was affordable too. While I think Sac isn't the most ahead place, its more behind than the Boston area I think, but its for sure ahead of Florida.
People need to get over the "No Income Tax" banner in FL, it's not what it's cut up within the state as a whole. It only works in parts of the state where there are jobs + low cost of living (IF you have to work, if not then you are golden) you can rule out the Miami MSA which is around 6 Million people total and where I use to live, that is unless you are making an above average income to offset the high cost of living there.

I am amazed how ignorant many Californians I met at work and in public and they asked about FL and what they said. To them FL is Disney, Gators, Swamp, Muggy and Mosquitoes and also they think it's "Super Afforable", but it's not across the board much like CA is not across the board, there are places here which are more affordable, whether or not the taxes you will lose is based on how far offset your income is from what you would get in FL.

Big difference between the Sacramento Area and those areas you mentioned in FL, falls back on high apying jobs, there is a big influx of companies from the Bay Area into the Sacramento area, Intel is in Roseville and there are many others branching there or all out moving there. You won't see that in Sarasota or other areas, many of these areas are service/retiree/tourism driven.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Neither bother me, but I heard Spanish more on a daily basis in SoFla than I do here, here it's Mexican primarily, not Cuban, Puerto Rican, South American, Domincan and Central America. So you hear different types of Spanish there and Spanish is spoken much louder in SoFla than it is here, in public they literally yell it in your ear. Also you got Haitians and other nationalites which offer good choices of cuisine in SoFla opposed to here, variety is the spice of life, it tends people here in SoCal are too Vanilla often.

Problem for us is, we had better or equally good Mexican Style Food in SoFla than here, I'm still not blown ouf of the water by the whole Mexican Food is better in SoCal thing. Fish Tacos yes, but that's about it.

Cuban Food here is non-existant aside from a place in San Diego we have not yet tried, but we both knew that coming in to the area.
Wow I think the same too! I was in Sacramento and had Mexican food and ya some was good, others weren't as however, in Tampa area, mostly Bradenton or Sarasota I found better Mexican food believe it or not. Or something like you'd picture in the L.A barrio. Maybe not that good but it was better than anything I had in Sacramento at a few places I went.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:50 AM

10,576 posts, read 10,805,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Oh, I would rather deal with alligators that move away from humans, than the huge number of homeless in CA that accost everyone and make the whole area stink. Note, native Californian and am moving to FL.

Had enough of the disaster CA has become. Used to be the Golden State now it is the Fools Gold State.
Downtown san fran smells like urine in parts, there no Florida city that comes to close to it

Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM

155 posts, read 99,125 times
Fla and CA isn't really a fair comparison I don't think. Cali is enormous with many different areas (coastal beach, desert, sierra nevadas, muir woods and the foresty northern CA).

Maybe socal versus florida would be more apt. I would have to side with florida there, as socal is horrendously overpopulated, tons of traffic, absurdly expensive, and you can't even get in the water except for like 2-3 months a year. The weather is more comfortable year round in cali but thats about all its got going for it.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
That response explains why the California Grizzly Bear is extinct, and on the flipside the American Alligator that was saved from extinction.

People's perception of Alligators is quite pitiful, I saw small 4 and 6 footers removed from a lake near our house and euthanized just because some ignoramus called the HOA and complained and thought it was threat to their Tea Cup Yorkie that they let walk down by the lake to pinch a loaf without a leash. Most of these gators were not a threat and were scared of people and would keep their distance.

When I first moved here, that's all I heard from Native Californians for the first few months, "Gators', oh they scare me but yet they are out surfing with Great White Sharks at the same time.
That is one thing I notice. Its almost air heady like but Californians are paranoid of the idea of going to FL because of bugs and alligators. And funny thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if it was also some of the San Diego crowd too. The surfing crowd who you say hangs around great white sharks. Personally though I'll be honest with you. I don't know how California I am BUT I do not like lake swimming. It is more scary to me and no, not because of alligators either but SNAKES. I don't go in the swamp and because I don't, I don't run into alligators.. They don't bother me. But I do not like snakes or all kinds of other crap when you're in a lake. And no I was in Massachusetts also when I was paranoid of it.. In some of their lakes, not Florida. Any lakes back east no matter if its FL or New England will have all kinds of creatures in them, its just the ones in FL are more magnified. You just have to stay away from lake or swamp water period in FL. It is worse, but if you stay away, nothing bothers you I find. In MA you technically can swim in the lakes but there still can be snakes and that made me always keep myself higher than the murky soil so I don't step down there and I had enough of doing that so I stopped going into those lakes altogether. I just cant stand them BUT I am not at all scared of stepping in beach water. I never got grabbed by a crab or a lobster. In fact if I did, there would at least be food to eat and I'd get lucky. That's how I saw it seeing crab and lobster are expensive. If they bit me ya it would hurt but I would know a lucky spot to go grabbing for them anyhow on the flip side. They talk about how sting rays will get you but nope, never happened. So ya I may be inbetween a Californian and a Floridian when it comes to looking at things. I am not scared of the beach or anything that could be in the water there but I hate lakes and I just stay away from swamps but I also know if you do, they wont come after you kinda like a FL person does.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwuwei View Post
Fla and CA isn't really a fair comparison I don't think. Cali is enormous with many different areas (coastal beach, desert, sierra nevadas, muir woods and the foresty northern CA).

Maybe socal versus florida would be more apt. I would have to side with florida there, as socal is horrendously overpopulated, tons of traffic, absurdly expensive, and you can't even get in the water except for like 2-3 months a year. The weather is more comfortable year round in cali but thats about all its got going for it.
Overall true.. as far as crowds go then no, FL is not as bad as SoCal but it does have its annoyances. Its cheaper but theres a reason. More relief though ya but on social issues, very behind. At least I can hit up Venice Beach and try my damnest not to drive all the time but I could hit Venice Beach, go around there and be part of the eye candy that are admired by many. Its harder to do that in FL as people here don't appreciate good looks so much, only in the socially conservative sense like you have to get a haircut and look good to get a job sort of thing but that's it.. the republican way of "looking good". Miami the most but over here definitely not. I see VB or areas like that having good looking rockers or bohemian types. In FL a bohemian neighborhood may have a few like in St Pete but a lot of older also so you still do not have that aspect like you do in VB or anywhere like that or Hollywood even. Theres that feel like you can get into a conversation over a shirt someone is wearing.. not as often down here though in FL. Once in awhile someone might point out my Celtics or Boston gear but that's about it and usually if they're from there which isn't often they come.. its more NY or Ohio/Michigan transplants so again, even the transplants tend to bring their conservative values with them.

I'd say in FL if good looks and younger appearance are appreciated though, its Miami which I don't go to. For bohemian good looking people, St Pete. That's the best its going to get I'd say. Theres a neighborhood in St Pete for instance, where its like a Moe song every day or a Widespread Panic song. Its like the modern day version of say America when America and Ventura Highway came out.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
So you made up your mind? You sure the humidity won't make you too sweaty and those mosquitoes won't eat you up? That's what I heard from natives here, "I bet you are happy to be out of the swamp?" also heard this "I don't know how people can live there".

Gators have fed on homeless in FL, true story.

Officials ID homeless man eaten by gators in Florida canal | WFLA.com

I don't see homeless in my area here, but I know where to go to see them, parts of Vista and Oceanside. They usually hangout near in Vista near the Sprinter Station in the woods.

According to the stats, there are only around 9K homeless in San Diego County (rounded up), I'm guessing the majority are in SD City.

Poverty: 10 Cities With the Most Homeless People

Still nothing in CA I saw so far matches what I saw in NYC for homeless or the level of poverty I saw in the Detroit, areas of the Northeast, Southeast in both rural and metro areas. Also West Virginia was very bad. Homeless is one thing, but Poverty and blight, urban decay can effect your view and it's a major eyesore, you will see it in FL prepare yourself. Florida ranks below CA in Poverty believe it or not.

A few years ago FL was ranked #3 for Homeless, I saw them daily in parts of Palm Beach County, they would panhandle at the stop lights and lived in what wooded areas they could find left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02sAYGl6uew

Come to think of it, you would see homeless in areas more where the rich and poor was evident in CA. Sacramento though, I really didn't. Not like in Florida and I didn't see the overall vagrants in Sacramento either that I see in a city with 55,000.. Sarasota. The small cities in FL take on big city problems whereas I'd rank Sac probably at small city crime even though its a little larger. I think outer Sacramento may have more crime but citywise, I think its relatively safe and nobody bothers you for money. Its kept more in check there even than it is in Sarasota. Again a city with 55,000. Tampa now, its magnified.. Theres whole sections that are black and that are dilapidated. Tampa is a long ways away from there as far as Gentrification goes, even if Sac has been behind by west coast standards, its still ahead of a lot of FL. I find where it gets more like FL in CA is where theres like nobody living like Marysville or Redding. Those seem to get like a lot of suburbs of Tampa and those aren't places the average person in CA wants to go to. But yea Marysville and places like that, are closest to FL in way of life and residents. Drugs, poverty.. You have to go further out though to find that where in FL, these places are closer in often times and ya, they may not seem as bad due to it because a hellhole is near a good area often times. You can live in methhead country, ya you wont be able to walk much without being hassled but you're like 15 minutes from Tampa. Redding you wouldn't be near anything else or it be more isolated. So that's the only + but overall, its still more behind. So ya Californias view of poverty can be worse, but in the big cities, its more with it in CA clearly.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Downtown san fran smells like urine in parts, there no Florida city that comes to close to it
I have never been to a high populated urban area where it did not have areas that smelled like urine.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwuwei View Post

Maybe SoCal versus SoFla would be more apt. I would have to side with florida there, as SoFla is horrendously overpopulated, tons of traffic, absurdly expensive, and you can even get in the water 12 months a year.
Fixed that for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or