Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:46 PM

295 posts, read 351,901 times

Advertisements

California is hands down the best state in the Land - each and every resident of Florida knows this.

I mean you talk about Mountains, Deserts, Canyons, Forests, Perfect Weather with LA (the city of Angels) as the Capital of West Coast. Your talking California, not Florida. So please discuss California vs Florida.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 AM

24,324 posts, read 26,712,807 times
I moved from California to Florida because Florida is the better state.

1) Beaches, you can actually swim in the water here withojt a wetsuit and the sand isn't covered with garbage, needles, or chunks of wood.

2) Buildings, California is stuck with rundown buildings built in the 70's and because of expensive real estate and enviromental rules, it's very difficult to change the look of these nasty buildings.

3) Landscape, most of California, at least the populated area are dry and brown most of the year, yuck.

4) Homes, homes in Californi are small, ugly, old and expensive, Florida homes are beauitful and have pools.

5) Politics, California is over run with high taxes and fees, Florida has no state income tax and a low sales tax.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:52 AM

295 posts, read 351,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

1) Beaches, you can actually swim in the water here withojt a wetsuit and the sand isn't covered with garbage, needles, or chunks of wood.

2) Buildings, California is stuck with rundown buildings built in the 70's and because of expensive real estate and enviromental rules, it's very difficult to change the look of these nasty buildings.

3) Landscape, most of California, at least the populated area are dry and brown most of the year, yuck.

4) Homes, homes in Californi are small, ugly, old and expensive, Florida homes are beauitful and have pools.

5) Politics, California is over run with high taxes and fees, Florida has no state income tax and a low sales tax.
Hahaha.

1. California has the best beaches in the country - I.E. Venice Beach, La Jolla Beach and Huntington Beach are the best beaches of West Coast as well as the nation. Florida has no Venice Beach.

2. Most of California has new andwell designed buildings. Just go to San Diego. Florida has no city like San Francisco.

3. The state of Cali has the most diverse landscape in the nation - from Forest to Canyon to Mountains to Desert to Beach to Any other platform. Meanwhile Florida has no mountains; it's a huge swamp land full of mosquitos and alligators.

4. Not really, Cali has thousands of affordable cities with new houses.

5. Tax is necessary to keep the state of CA at the top unlike FL which doesn't care.

This again proves why Cali is superior to Florida.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:02 AM

491 posts, read 468,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

I appreciate your views. In many ways, I see how the Florida lifestyle is more economical and everything is newer. I like Florida. I'm used to it.

I think the people that I've met who have left Florida for the West coast (Rockies, California, Northwest) were all young people who just wanted to be more active outdoors or be part of a more bustling environment in the case of California. I guess if you really wanted to go hiking or whatever you could just make a vacation out of it.

I guess there are pros and cons to everything. I think the other issue with California is that there is a lot of disparity. Lots of nice areas, but lots of not-so-nice-areas. The people in Colorado and California seem "wilder" and "rowdier" to me. I don't know how to explain it. There are some really cool things and traditions that they tend to have. Like visiting Lake Tahoe or taking camping trips. I like the tranquility and calmness of Florida. You thought of a lot of good things that I hadn't though of, though.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:17 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,019,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
California is hands down the best state in the Land - each and every resident of Florida knows this.

I mean you talk about Mountains, Deserts, Canyons, Forests, Perfect Weather with LA (the city of Angels) as the Capital of West Coast. Your talking California, not Florida. So please discuss California vs Florida.
CA is great if you want to pay a lot of taxes and like regulation on life in general.

I dont think that frequent earthquakes is a positive.

CA is a diverse state with a variety of places to enjoy.

I think CA is a great place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:50 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,304,919 times
I've been to California a few times. Went to the northern part and saw the redwoods, drove the coast road back. Visited San Francisco and we were going to go out to Alcatraz but it was cold even in July.

I have been to LA and was really happy we were traveling the opposite way of the traffic. TV makes the area with the stars in the cement look so much nicer than what it is in reality.

Malibu was interesting. Venice beach was a bit bizarre in places. Ocean is freakin' cold!

Nice place to visit

We chose Florida to call our home. I can still afford to travel and visit California

Old 03-26-2017, 07:56 AM

26,834 posts, read 43,315,276 times
I have visited California and just never felt the vibe so many find attractive, and frankly it felt odd to me in a way I cannot explain other than feeling "out of place". I guess some find one region of the country more in tune and for me it's very clearly here in FL or maybe NC/SC if growth gets too out of hand here in Central Florida (which seems inevitable).

Old 03-26-2017, 08:56 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,850,828 times
I have visited CA several times, went all over the state. Most of the inland areas are completely brown and dry, to me very unappealing and some cities actually quite ugly. Coastal areas are nice, but frankly the only part of CA that I really like is the central coast area, and that is a very small segment. I would not trade where I live in Sarasota for that, however. I don't like the fog that is constant every day there, the water is cold, beaches are windy, no diversity of weather. And an equivalent house in an equivalent neighborhood would cost about 4 times what we paid. Too many other negs to list here.

I am thinking the OP just wanted to start a troll post, why else post something like that in the Florida forum..

Old 03-26-2017, 09:23 AM

216 posts, read 324,918 times
I have lived in both Southern California and Southeast Florida. Quite frankly there are many plusses for each place. California is a special state with much beauty. It has some serious negatives however. The cost of living is very very high. Housing is by far more expensive than Florida. Taxes are quite high in California as well. Other than Miami, the traffic in California (populated areas) is outrageous and far far worse than Florida. You also have smog and occasional earthquakes to deal with. The weather can be great however it is frequently foggy and cool near the coast. The fog usually burns off by early afternoon but can be a nuisance nonetheless. Also the ocean is quite cold most of the year so wearing a wetsuit or a shorty is common. Since it is dry weather there are very few mosquitoes and flies which is great. I like the weather in Florida although I admit July and August can be quite oppressive. Lastly, California has become much more of a Nanny State which I do not appreciate.

If you can afford it (a big if for many), California can be very nice but I wouldn't rule out Florida until you check it out. There area lot of things to do especially outdoors. Florida has it own beauty which I enjoy. I also visit fiends and family in California and enjoy it immensely. But for me, Florida is my choice.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 AM

163 posts, read 206,170 times
Lived in southern Cal for 5 years, now live in SWFL. I loved Cal but would never move back

1.Cal has freezing water at the beaches
2. Taxes are too high
3. Traffic is ridiculous year round
4. Housing is astronomical
5. If you want to live in SOCAL, you best be bi-lingual. But i did enjoy the diversity.
6. Beaches are ridiculously over crowded
7. in L.A. ONE DAY, IT TOOK ME 2 HOURS TO DRIVE 8 MILES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida