U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 01:43 AM

5 posts, read 2,017 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone we are new here.

We are born and raised Minnesotans looking for a forever home in FL. The housing market up here is very hot right now, so it's best we sell now.

We always said that once we sell here, we are moving to FL. (We are done with the cold, long for the beach)

We have one child (under the age of 2) and would possibly like to have more someday.
We are looking for our forever home.

We are kind of lost when it comes to this as moving across the country isn't something you do every day.
We were hoping that you fellow Floridians could help us out. Here is what we are hoping for:

1. Family friendly neighborhood
-retirees are fine but we want somewhere that won't hate us if our kids are playing outside.

2. Decent school district.
-it doesn't have to rank top in the state, but somewhere safe for children to learn and grow is a must.

3. Close enough to the beach but also far enough away where hurricanes won't be in the back of my mind daily.
- the beach doesn't have to be walking distance but we would love if it didn't take hours to get there.

4. Price range, here is where it gets tricky. The cost of living in MN is high but we also make more hourly. In not sure my Husbands job will pay the same down there or even close. So I am lowballing here.
120,000 to 160,000

5. We want a local feel (I realize no one is a local lol) but I mean we don't want to feel like people are moving in and out daily around us.

Family is our main concern. So safety is a front runner.

We were possibly looking into Palm Bay as the prices looked decent.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:07 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,736,336 times
What type of work will you and/or your husband be seeking? That may make a big difference in the recommendations depending on what it is.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:57 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,741,386 times
First, get a job. Do that first, period. Come down and rent in a central location, say Orlando area. Then start looking for a job. You need to be available for interviews, etc. once you get the job, then and only then start looking for a home. You may end up in the Jacksonville area , the Space Coast or Fort Myers.

Don't get the cart before the horse.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:19 AM

My husband works in the tree trimming business. He is in talks with his foreman about transferring jobs. I work online with my own small business.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2FL2017 View Post
-retirees are fine but we want somewhere that won't hate us if our kids are playing outside.

-it doesn't have to rank top in the state, but somewhere safe for children to learn and grow is a must.

3. Close enough to the beach but also far enough away where hurricanes won't be in the back of my mind daily.
- the beach doesn't have to be walking distance but we would love if it didn't take hours to get there.

4. Price range, here is where it gets tricky. The cost of living in MN is high but we also make more hourly. In not sure my Husbands job will pay the same down there or even close. So I am lowballing here.
120,000 to 160,000

5. We want a local feel (I realize no one is a local lol) but I mean we don't want to feel like people are moving in and out daily around us.

Palm Bay is fairly nice but sort of isolated from population centers and doesn't have a whole lot there to do. You do have a tough price bracket for housing but feel Orange Park/Fleming Island would be a good fit with a nice selection of housing to choose from along with decent schools and safe/stable family-friendly neighborhoods. The close proximity to Jacksonville opens up a lot of work options as well as things to do, and the bonus point that upper NE Florida rarely deals with hurricanes. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/

Old 03-29-2017, 08:01 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,174,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2FL2017 View Post
Hello everyone we are new here.

We are born and raised Minnesotans looking for a forever home in FL. The housing market up here is very hot right now, so it's best we sell now.

We always said that once we sell here, we are moving to FL. (We are done with the cold, long for the beach)

We have one child (under the age of 2) and would possibly like to have more someday.
We are looking for our forever home.

We are kind of lost when it comes to this as moving across the country isn't something you do every day.
We were hoping that you fellow Floridians could help us out. Here is what we are hoping for:

120,000 to 160,000

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.
1. Looking at Brevard County is a good fit for families. Check for homes in Palm Bay, Melbourne, and West Melbourne. Your budget is low so Viera and the beaches are probaly out. Lots of families in these towns so don't think you will have trouble with neighbors not wanting to hear kids playing in your yard. Our neighbors in Palm Bay used to sit in chairs ouside just to watch our sons and friends playing. We do et snowbirds but most stick to the manufactured home areas. I have never lived in a neighborhood effected by them so not sure where they live:-)

2. Schools are a county system and are rated in the top 20 maybe even 10 not sure. We also have charter and private schools(church or prep schools)

3. Almost anywhere in Brevard County you will be 15 miles or less from the beach as the crow flies, but livin in Palm Bay you will not have a causeway to the beach. Hurricanes are not like the tornadoes up North. Even being 75 miles from the beach,you might have damage depending on the size and category of the storm. If you do choose Palm Bay try to get a home with city water. Most areas you have to have a septic tNank, but there are some areas with city sewer too. BTW anywhere in the state you are probably within an hour and 1/2 of the ocean or Gulf. Hurricanes effect the whole state not just the coastal arteas, but you do not have to worry about them on a daily basis, weekly basis, and even yearly basis. Hurricane Mathew was the fiirst one in 11 years so not a constant worry. The beauty of the state and the fun living here is worth it. There is always time to prepare. Some you do when you move in like make sure you have hurricane shutters and a plan in your head. Others like stocking food and water you do when a storm is out days or a week away.

4. $120,000-$160,000 can be done here but getting harder to find but they are still out there. Home Page

5. There will be people moving in and out of the area because not everyone likes it here and have done the research to see if it is a fit. Lots of big city people who are into clubbing are bored here. If you like the outdoors and are more family outing oriented there will be plenty to do. My kids best friends are still the ones they met in kindergarten. Some of my friends have been friends for 40 years so long time residents are here in addition to newbies on the block.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:31 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,141,164 times
Firstly budget is a huge issue. What you think is expensive up there is probably a fixer upper here (places like Naples a fixer upper starter home can run you over $300,000 and you won't be smelling a sea breeze) so figure that out first. Secondly we are a retirement community state. There are more and more of them coming so odds are if you end up in an HOA they're going to have rules against kids. I live in one who only just implemented rules against kids (like playing with chalk, playing on green areas, riding bikes in the road etc) because we have a huge influx of new snowbird buyers. We have been trying desperately to get out for 6 months now. Also have jobs lined up. Most of the state is seasonal, no work to be found off season. Many people live on unemployment

I love when people want to live in Fla but not have to worry about hurricanes.

Fact is hurricanes hit the entire state indiscriminately. You will never find a place that will not ever be in the cone at some point. Every year from JUNE-DEC you will have a chance of getting hit. They're hightly unpredictable. The can change course 2 hours before they're going to hit and you can suddenly be in the path of a cat 4 hurricane with no time to evacuate. Ask those who live in Punta Gorda, happen to them a decade or so ago.

Even inland communities can be devastated. Homestead, Fl isn't a beach community and was all but wiped off the map during Hurricane Andrew in the 90's.I lived on the opposite coast at the time (about 2 1/2 hours west) and we got extensive damage. Just because you're on the west coast and its hitting the east coast doesn't mean you can't lose your roof. Happens all the time. Immokalee, Fla is another one. They're 45 mins inland and had unreal damage during Wilma.

If you're afraid of hurricanes and severe daily lightning storms then Fla aint the place for you. Also have you visited in the summer? Places reach triple head index daily. I'm not talking 101, I'm talking 117 with 100% humidity on some days, for days (even weeks) on end.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 AM

17,878 posts, read 17,716,836 times
Orlando Area

Old 03-29-2017, 09:50 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Orlando Area
120,000K to 160,000K for a 3/2 in a safe neighborhood with good schools. Care to elaborate where that exists in Orlando???

Old 03-29-2017, 10:18 AM

Thank you all for being honest.

-hurricanes. I get it. It can really be anywhere in the state. (A lot like tornados here) but not something I need to worry about constantly.

-price range. It may be higher, I'm lowballing because the Husbands transfer papers are being done as we speak so I'm not sure of the salary he will get down there. (He's going from a union to not a union)

Ideally we would like to stay away from direct Orlando just because of the amount of people in and out. There is more crime and traffic.

As for the quiet, we would prefer it. We are coming from a city with 200,000 people. We hear gunshots, police cars daily. We are not the clubbing type so it looks like Palm Bay could be a good option. (Not to mention Orlando is only an hour and a half away if we need stimulation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida