U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 7,833 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I need advice...I'm single, female and 53. I am on disability and received a housing voucher. I moved from Michigan to Florida a year ago. Took what I could get for housing. Now my lease is up. I want to find my forever home. Florida affordable housing is extremely difficult to find. I don't want to live in an old building and have to fix it up because I've done that many times. Round Rock TX has a brand new affordable community. However, average age in Round Rock is 36 and no beach. I had hoped that I might meet a nice man here in Florida but seems to be more difficult than I thought. My question is do I go to Round Rock and forgo beach and chance of meeting in my age group? Or do I go to Naples and not have the greatest place to live but more my age and better chance of making friends? Also, anyone know the healthcare comparison between Florida and Texas. Florida doctors are not known to be the best in the bunch. I've had a hard time finding a well spoken English doctor. Most are from India or Pakistan. I have a hard time understanding them. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 11:17 AM

57 views and not one piece of advice.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:47 PM

190 posts, read 147,761 times
Where in Florida are you now? I don't see why you cannot find a native english speaking doctor. For living have you tried the thriving Southshore area of Hillsborough County, just south of Tampa?

Old 04-02-2017, 05:21 PM

Yes I'm in Bradenton right now.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:18 PM

17,348 posts, read 10,447,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSMOM View Post
Hello all,
I need advice...I'm single, female and 53. I am on disability and received a housing voucher. I moved from Michigan to Florida a year ago. Took what I could get for housing. Now my lease is up. I want to find my forever home. Florida affordable housing is extremely difficult to find. I don't want to live in an old building and have to fix it up because I've done that many times. Round Rock TX has a brand new affordable community. However, average age in Round Rock is 36 and no beach. I had hoped that I might meet a nice man here in Florida but seems to be more difficult than I thought. My question is do I go to Round Rock and forgo beach and chance of meeting in my age group? Or do I go to Naples and not have the greatest place to live but more my age and better chance of making friends? Also, anyone know the healthcare comparison between Florida and Texas. Florida doctors are not known to be the best in the bunch. I've had a hard time finding a well spoken English doctor. Most are from India or Pakistan. I have a hard time understanding them. Thanks in advance.
There will be no or huge differences, depending on where in each State you are. Texas is very friendly but also a BIG State. As to meeting a man, that is more an issue of where you look for men and how you look to men (Note not just physically but your personality).

Old 07-11-2017, 01:52 AM

85 posts, read 55,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSMOM View Post
Hello all,
I understand that this is an older thread, but I think that you can find what you're looking for in Galveston, TX.

Galveston is one of the cheapest beach communities in America to live in, it has quite a few low income housing developments, and if you find that they're full or not terribly nice, Galveston County has quite a few, mostly in Texas City.

Galveston is roughly an hour Southeast from Houston and roughly 36% of the population is older than 45.

The healthcare comparisons are night and day as medical professionals on average make a higher salary and the Texas Medical Center (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Medical_Center) is the largest in the world with the world famous MD Anderson Cancer Center.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,346,369 times
I get a housing voucher and lots of free gov'mnt money and healthcare... but I'm super picky and want a nice place - plus I want an awesome doctor, all on my terms, that I'm not paying for, too. Why aren't any of you tax payers interested in helping me out?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:32 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,724,873 times
OP, I would avoid Galveston. Round Rock is close to Austinm and there are nice lakes and beaches (Barton Springs for example). Medical is far better as Texas did away with the Certificate OfNeed for hospitals. Hospitals are modern and high-tech instead of stuck in the 1980's as they are in Florida. You can always drive to Galveston if you want to see the ocean.

Go for Texas. I had to move to Florida because I cannot handle temperatures below 50 any more. Otherwise I would still be in Texas.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:08 PM

1,437 posts, read 860,215 times
I'll say Texas over Florida. Overall a healthier economy and more recession proof. Overall better doctors and infrastructure as well.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:11 AM

4,767 posts, read 5,296,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I get a housing voucher and lots of free gov'mnt money and healthcare... but I'm super picky and want a nice place - plus I want an awesome doctor, all on my terms, that I'm not paying for, too. Why aren't any of you tax payers interested in helping me out?
We actually see eye to eye on something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or