U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 AM

388 posts, read 241,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
None of the above cities fit your wants... the three mentioned are crap holes besides St. Augustine, but you're not going to find a lot of normal retails stores, nor trader joes or whole foods.

Check out...

Jupiter, FL (the off-leash dog beach here is amazing)
Delray Beach, FL (the downtown is lovely)

Price could be a problem, but I'm sure you could find a townhouse if anything.
Delray is very nice... Very busy, and would need to stay east of I-95. Also increasingly younger population.

We very (very) briefly looked here and it can be (like much of FL) very seedy. Closer to I-95, the worse they would be.

I think with the increasing popularity of Delay, especially among younger people being priced out of places like Boca (and slowly Boynton and Wellington), then Delay might even be out of reach for their price range without needing a big overhaul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Have you even set foot in Downtown Dunedin? It's not even remotely close to "crap hole"...

Realty in Dundein certainly doesn't reflect it being a "crap hole".

Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 AM

844 posts, read 747,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
I think Tampa is very chain-centeic. In terms of a corner diner type place, they are basically nonexistent and it's something we miss from the northeast, and even from our year on the east coast of FL. The east coast of FL seems to do a much better job at this, probably because of the large population of northeastern transplants. Out on the west coast, you will not encounter a fair share of your Greek or Italian or Jewish deli-diners to pick from on Sunday morning... It's mostly chains like Waffle House and Ihop.

Dunedin is fabulously dog friendly. It is walkable, albeit small, and has a very casual vibe. Also heavily boutique and "mom & pop". Not sure where in NY you're coming from, but if you're familiar at all with Broadway in Saratoga Springs it is basically a much smaller version of that.

COL depends. It just does. I suggest using a COL calculator to compare. You can Google, there are many.

It's FL, so there's lots to see and do... Festivals all the time, and outdoor living 365. Day trips west to east aren't horrible... You just don't want to go from, say, St. Augustine to Ft. Lauderdale in a day. I think of FL travel as being like Upstate NY in that you wouldn't drive NYC to Rochester for a day-- here, you don't go north to south or vice versa for just a day.

Lots of farm stands around for fruits and veggies and the berries are *amazing*... But get used to tiny apples.

Medical care... This is by far the biggest Con for us. Having been here two years, I have been in contact with one professional that I trusted their advice 100%. I haven't yet found a PCP after almost a year in Tampa for this reason. Coming from NY, you are spoiled with quality doctors... I don't know if it's because insurance laws or liabilities are less doctor-friendly here so they choose not to practice in FL, but I would not say the best are here. Then again, I'm a good 25 years younger than yourself, so maybe someone with a few more years than me can chime in to help you with that- which may also depend on what you have for insurance.

Have you given any thought to a place like Stuart or Ft. Pierce?

In short, I would choose, out of your list, St. Augustine.

Thanks. We are very aware of Broadway and Saratoga Springs- we use to live 15 miles east of there. We still use the same drs, dentists, and vet (In salem). We now live in Cherry Valley, north of Cobleskill/ west of Sharon Springs.

We know medical care in Fl is horrible!! But being reasonably healthy, eating very well, having healthy genes (my mom will be 90 in August), and both of us were in the medical profession (plus I'm an RN) I hope that works for us.

So basically it sounds like, don't worry about the sinkholes killing us because the doctors probably will. If it wasn't sort of true it would be funny. We will also have very good insurance- one of the best plans you can have (both of us are/were state workers)

One other thing- why St Augustine? That more touristy and it doesn't seem like there is enough shopping/ stores there. Wouldn't it be better near a larger and more built up area? The same with the 2 towns you suggested.

Thanks for your response.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:12 AM

21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:

Have you given any thought to a place like Stuart or Ft. Pierce?

In short, I would choose, out of your list, St. Augustine.
For their liberal populations?

Old 04-05-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks. We are very aware of Broadway and Saratoga Springs- we use to live 15 miles east of there. We still use the same drs, dentists, and vet (In salem). We now live in Cherry Valley, north of Cobleskill/ west of Sharon Springs.

We know medical care in Fl is horrible!! But being reasonably healthy, eating very well, having healthy genes (my mom will be 90 in August), and both of us were in the medical profession (plus I'm an RN) I hope that works for us.

So basically it sounds like, don't worry about the sinkholes killing us because the doctors probably will. If it wasn't sort of true it would be funny. We will also have very good insurance- one of the best plans you can have (both of us are/were state workers)

One other thing- why St Augustine? That more touristy and it doesn't seem like there is enough shopping/ stores there. Wouldn't it be better near a larger and more built up area? The same with the 2 towns you suggested.

I don't like the options here compared to NY, but I also wouldn't be that negative about the doctors... Just that it takes more effort to find a good one. In Saratoga/Albany (we had a few homes in Saratoga county and one in Schenectady county over the years), I feel like you could put on a blindfold and throw a dart, and chances are you would have a doctor that you could trust. I see LOTS of DO's down here, and in my personal experience I prefer a MD... So that narrows the pool for me... Again, your insurance differs from mine, so that could make a difference. My mother is a RN, so I have had what I consider a good example of what to expect (or tolerate) in self-advocacy as a patient... I also recruited for Saratoga Hospital, so having seen/approved the end of things where education and personality matter in the delivery of healthcare, something is just not in as much of an abundance in FL... Like I said, more effort. Advocacy for oneself down here, at least for me, is part of the reason I haven't settled on a PCP... Down here the doctors seem to think that rote memorization trumps an individual knowing their own health history. But anyway...

Dunedin is incredibly touristy... If touristy is a deal breaker for you, then you need to reassess the areas you are looking. Afternoons and weekends are jam-packed with people and long waits for the small amount of restaurants. Their sidewalks are always something you need to squeeze through and the downtown area is not located on the water like other areas of FL would give you... So you aren't getting an experience of a long, lazy walk that stretches a couple of miles if you want it to or dining on the beach if you're thinking that you want to sit outdoors with your dogs and enjoy a drink or meal while watching the sunset over the gulf in a bustling downtown. However, it is on the giant bike/walking/jogging path that runs the length of the county, which is enjoyable and my family loves that.

Stuart and Ft. Pierce are nice active areas for retirees... I suggest them based mostly on lower COL, the fewer sinkhole issues, and that they are close to other areas that you can enjoy for shopping, entertainment, and walkability within a short drive.

I will add, too, that the type of beach makes a big difference for me personally, so if that matters, then keep it in mind. The gulf is flat and cooler in the winter than the ocean side around Ft. Pierce and south... Atlantic is also much clearer water, has actual waves, and I am personally a fan of sunrises.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
For their liberal populations?
I specifically addressed nothing about the politics.

If she wants liberal, she needs to be in SE FL.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
We are so very liberal, and altho we get along with everybody we would like more like minded ppl. The panhandle seems to rural and too conservative and feel that we would not fit in well.
Quote:
I specifically addressed nothing about the politics.

If she wants liberal, she needs to be in SE FL.
I thought you may have missed that...

Old 04-05-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I thought you may have missed that...
Nope.

I didn't address it because she won't find it in as great a density in any of the areas she outlined.

If she is looking for money pumped into everything with more liberal policies, then SE FL is the place- but then she is out-priced down there in the majority of cases, for anywhere I would recommend, having lived in the same area in NY that she is coming from.

The most politically similar area I have been in FL whether living here or vacationing, was, and will be, SE FL. It is heavily populated with "downstaters" from NY/LI (and let's lump in northern NJ to that), as well as larger numbers of international investors and transplants that lean left, and people with money that move from other liberal states... Illinois, Massachusetts, California, Washington, Oregon, to name some.

Last edited by mcharas; 04-05-2017 at 12:15 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,792,726 times
Quote:

tarpon springs has a huge greek population, and has some of the best Food and Bakery's

We love Hella's...Our friends are from Brooklyn Ny and there are SOME restaurants that are really good, I know there is a Italian Pork Store/Deli in Tampa where my girlfriend shops she loves that place...I have to say the East Coast of Florida the food is DELISH...We too lived in Boca for 4 years, and I must say it felt like Home/NY for the Food oh and some of the rude people lol but that never phased us nor did it bother us...it is what it is...

Old 04-05-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
SE FL is the place- but then she is out-priced down there in the majority of cases, for anywhere I would recommend, having lived in the same area in NY that she is coming from.
If schools aren't a concern there are places like Boynton Beach and Lake Worth (the west side of both) where there are desirable neighborhoods in that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or