Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 AM

26,909 posts, read 43,417,198 times

Advertisements

Some surprises on the list in terms of those expected higher (FSU) and some not expected higher up (USF-St Pete). I guess the out-of-state applications are driving lower acceptance numbers for schools I thought that might be placed higher like FIU and FAU. They're ranked 18th and 29th but accept just 53% and 66% respectively. Those are typically acceptance rates of higher rated schools from my experience or perhaps select programs at those schools which are known/respected (FIU International Business and Hospitality programs for instance) are skewing the lower acceptance numbers..???

https://www.niche.com/colleges/ranki...-in/s/florida/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:10 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,262,507 times
Surprised FAU was so low (29th).

Old 04-14-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Surprised FAU was so low (29th).
Me too though I think there's more to the criteria than acceptance rate since 66% isn't exactly on the high end and would qualify typically as somewhat selective. The academics aren't a weak point either from what I know, so unsure what else it could be.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 PM

3,973 posts, read 8,118,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Me too though I think there's more to the criteria than acceptance rate since 66% isn't exactly on the high end and would qualify typically as somewhat selective. The academics aren't a weak point either from what I know, so unsure what else it could be.
As an educator I see a school that takes 66% of all applicants as one that accepts basically C average students to help pay the bills. Less than 10 % acceptance like Yale, Harvard are very selective. 20s and 30s% acceptance are accepting mostly A and some B students. We used to tell kids that all As would not get you into UF. They looked for kids active in school clubs, church and community activities, volunteering etc. . It used to be easier for people from out of state and other countries to get in than Floridagraduates because the out of state tuition pays more bills than kids who earn accademic scholarships and qualify from Florida. Lowert SATs and ACT scores are at all the schools since any one who goes to 2 year community colleges and earns an AP degree have to be accepted by Florida state colleges.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
As an educator I see a school that takes 66% of all applicants as one that accepts basically C average students to help pay the bills. Less than 10 % acceptance like Yale, Harvard are very selective. 20s and 30s% acceptance are accepting mostly A and some B students. We used to tell kids that all As would not get you into UF. They looked for kids active in school clubs, church and community activities, volunteering etc. . It used to be easier for people from out of state and other countries to get in than Floridagraduates because the out of state tuition pays more bills than kids who earn accademic scholarships and qualify from Florida. Lowert SATs and ACT scores are at all the schools since any one who goes to 2 year community colleges and earns an AP degree have to be accepted by Florida state colleges.
UF is accepting 46% at #2 in the rankings, which isn't horribly far off of 66% at #29 (FAU) so clearly there's more to the equation than just selectivity.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:13 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,262,507 times
I have a relative attending FAU this Fall. I looked into FAU's student population once and thought I read that it is one of the most diverse (racially) state schools. Maybe they're factoring in that in their student acceptance rates.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:43 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,240,622 times
Miami is a shocker. They used to give out scholarships left and right to get people to go because of the private school price tag.

Would've expected uf, much cheaper tuition,, better reputation,, prob the best in the state

Old 04-15-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Miami is a shocker. They used to give out scholarships left and right to get people to go because of the private school price tag.

Would've expected uf, much cheaper tuition,, better reputation,, prob the best in the state
I would have thought that too but a good friend of mine who worked as Director of Graduate Admissions for an Ivy school in the Northeast had mentioned how much progress they had been making the past 10+ years under former UM-President Donna Shalala, which changed the culture from rich kid school to one of the Top 50 academic colleges in the country.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:29 AM

3,973 posts, read 8,118,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
UF is accepting 46% at #2 in the rankings, which isn't horribly far off of 66% at #29 (FAU) so clearly there's more to the equation than just selectivity.
There is a big difference though . Not all students at FAU would get into UF with their scores because they accept from a much lower range but all students from UF could get into FAU by their scores. In addition to scores and GPA the entry themes are scrutinized by schools. Looking for bright, interesting things and not just the I should be admitted because blah, blah, blah.

Scores accepted at:

FAU

960-1140
ACT Scores Range
21-25

UF
SAT Scores Range
1170-1360
ACT Scores Range
26-31

Old 04-15-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
There is a big difference though . Not all students at FAU would get into UF with their scores because they accept from a much lower range but all students from UF could get into FAU by their scores. In addition to scores and GPA the entry themes are scrutinized by schools. Looking for bright, interesting things and not just the I should be admitted because blah, blah, blah.

Scores accepted at:

FAU

960-1140
ACT Scores Range
21-25

UF
SAT Scores Range
1170-1360
ACT Scores Range
26-31
Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida