U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:38 PM

56 posts, read 44,497 times

Advertisements

Hello. So this is probably the 1,000,000th time this has been asked, but I am seriously considering moving to Florida.

I currently live in Colorado and have for most of my life. I live at 9,000 feet. I am now 40 with 3 kids, aged 0-7, and am burned out on the cold. I can make a good chunk of change on my current house, so I am looking at spending up to 400K. I want to live closeish to the beach and must have a pool. I have a job that allows me to work from home 4 days a week, and I only have to live within 2 hours of my office. I can transfer to offices in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Ft. Meyers, St. Pete, Tallahassee, or Jacksonville. So basically I can live anywhere in the state and traffic is not much of a factor for me.

Yes I have searched the forum archives. Yes I am aware of bugs, snakes, gators, unbearable heat, etc. Yes I understand that pest control, insane property taxes (relatively for me anyway), pool maintenance, and insane electricity bills are to be expected and factored in. If I can't take it I can always transfer back (or to somewhere else) in 2 years. Obviously my main consideration (after the beach and a pool!) is quality of education/life for my kids. I have been to Florida many times, mainly Ft. Lauderdale, St. Pete's Bradenton, Duendin, and treasure cost.

Being from Colorado, I am pretty into privacy and open space. I am not into HOAs, etc. However, I accept that I will have to deal with fairly close proximity to neighbors and HOA nuttiness. I understand I cannot afford to live on the beach, but would love to be as close as possible.

I have basically narrowed my areas of consideration down to the following and would appreciate any input about which area would be best.

1. Anywhere from Sarasota to Duendin (including St. Pete's, etc);

2. Space coast/Merritt Island, down to North end of treasure coast;

3. Ft. Myers/Naples area

4. Panama City/Eastport/St. George

Open to all other suggestions or perspectives from those who have done the mountain to beach lifestyle transition.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:00 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,394,341 times
Look at Ormond-by-the-sea zip 32176. There are plenty of houses with pools and you can walk to the beach in a couple of minutes. Being so close to the ocean, helps keep the neighborhood cooler in the summer - which I imagine would be important to someone from Colorado. Florida can get hot and muggy, whereas on a beach when the land is warmer than the ocean, a cool breeze will blow off the ocean.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:28 PM

13,647 posts, read 9,309,786 times
OP is really gonna roll over and die in our summer weather coming from CO. Just walk outside and get slapped in the face at 6am with a low of 82 and a dewpoint of 75+. I would pick south of the Tampa area. Sarasota is very nice if you can afford a home there. And there is no cool breeze on the west coast when we are stuck in a reverse west windflow when gulf temps are 84 to 91 degrees. A west wind makes it feel so nasty it is like getting the air sucked out of ya when ya walk outside.

Just think what wind blowing off water around 90 degrees is gonna feel like. A true steam bath. Now in March when water temps are around 60 you do get a cool breeze.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:53 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,343,833 times
I would look toward places with good schools which should narrow the field considerably. It sounds like you could also possibly be a single parent and would consider wisely as some areas mentioned aren't great for someone in your age bracket who's single. I think of your current finalists St Pete-Clearwater makes the most sense and there are some quality school options there too. Check out Seminole which borders the NW boundary of St Petersburg along with the west end of Largo (west of Walsingham Park). While an area of older homes, it's mostly kept-up and very well-established, largely quite safe and on higher ground than any other nearby coastal community meaning in many instances costly flood insurance is not a requirement (or need). It's also minutes from the beach and an easy commute into St Pete. The schools have historically been stable with better than average to excellent school grades. The relative proximity to downtown St Pete, Sr Pete Beach and Treasure Island is a perk as well in terms of social opportunities.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...29_rect/13_zm/
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...97/school.aspx
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/s...54/school.aspx

Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM

686 posts, read 399,805 times
Can we trade? I'd like to be in the Rockies and never look back.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Can we trade? I'd like to be in the Rockies and never look back.
You can always move there jack.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
OP is really gonna roll over and die in our summer weather coming from CO. Just walk outside and get slapped in the face at 6am with a low of 82 and a dewpoint of 75+. I would pick south of the Tampa area. Sarasota is very nice if you can afford a home there. And there is no cool breeze on the west coast when we are stuck in a reverse west windflow when gulf temps are 84 to 91 degrees. A west wind makes it feel so nasty it is like getting the air sucked out of ya when ya walk outside.

Just think what wind blowing off water around 90 degrees is gonna feel like. A true steam bath. Now in March when water temps are around 60 you do get a cool breeze.
I wouldn't recommend Sarasota for anyone in their 40s. Too old. And it's expensive down there.

Depending on how tolerant you are of southern culture, somewhere in the Jax area may fit the bill. Some of the state's best school districts can be found there, and it is more affordable than Sarasota. Plus you would at least get some sort of ocean breezes where the west coast is stuck in the reverse west wind flow as was mentioned, which can suck the life right out of you.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
You can always move there jack.
Oh I plan to leave FL, so don't worry about that. Better to do that than be someone who sticks around and complains about the summers forever, right?

Old 04-16-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Oh I plan to leave FL, so don't worry about that. Better to do that than be someone who sticks around and complains about the summers forever, right?
You got that right dwight.

But i would hate the weather up there even more. I don't like it that cold and would rather deal with our dry and hot summers.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:08 PM

56 posts, read 44,497 times
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend Sarasota for anyone in their 40s. Too old. And it's expensive down there.

Depending on how tolerant you are of southern culture, somewhere in the Jax area may fit the bill. Some of the state's best school districts can be found there, and it is more affordable than Sarasota. Plus you would at least get some sort of ocean breezes where the west coast is stuck in the reverse west wind flow as was mentioned, which can suck the life right out of you.
Does this mean that I am too old for Sarasota, or it's too old for me?

I am inclined to the east coast overall, as it seems less muggy and the water quality seems better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or