Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area would you choose to live?
St. Petersburg 11 47.83%
West Palm Beach/Boynton Beach/Lake Worth area 9 39.13%
Elsewhere (if you choose this option you must post where) 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:59 PM

82 posts, read 460,157 times

Advertisements

For any of you whom have experience living in or spent a lot of time in Florida I would like your input.

If you could live in St. Petersburg, FL or somewhere on the east side of Florida (somewhere between West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach) which would you choose?

I just want to know the pros/cons of the west vs. east side of Florida....
I have lived on the east side before, so know a little of what to expect, but have never have been on the gulf side.

I have a high school student and want a friendly area, lots to do, see, nice beaches.

What are the beaches like on the gulf side in comparison to the east side? Don't like crowded ones, prefer those that are not packed/more secluded.

What about good restaurants, museums, cultural activities, night life, traffic, friendliness, weather, sunshine, crime, education, availability of rental homes?, etc.

I don't need any commentary on 'why are you moving to florida?' and the like - just stick to the facts.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 05:52 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
I would say the St Pete area wins here in my opinion. It's a good bit friendlier, has less crowded beaches which are much nicer than the east coast (many with non-burning white sand), less waves obviously in the Gulf but largely minus the hazards of sharks/jellyfish and rip currents, has excellent cultural amenities (Dali Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, The Morean, Chiluly Museum) and all kinds of art festivals/events, a vibrant restaurant/nightlife scene downtown and beachside (St Pete Beach and Treasure Island) and rentals a good bit less expensive than WPB. Since you have a child in high school check out the NW border suburb of Seminole (and the extreme west end of Largo) which are close to the beaches and an easy drive into downtown. Seminole High School has a long tradition of quality (solid "B" school) and is in a safe area to live. Unfortunately the schools in St Pete proper aren't the best, though have been improving in recent years. The zone map attached shows the SHS boundaries and some rental homes in the area too.

Downtown St Petersburg Florida - Official Discover Downtown St Petersburg Guide & Map
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...xa_xpmyl_crid/
https://www.pcsb.org/seminole-hs

Old 05-03-2017, 02:28 PM

Thank you so much kyle19125 for that information - it really sounds amazing there in St. Pete....
Love to hear they are more friendly over in St. Pete, and the beach situation sounds a lot better too...
I do want to ask more regarding the school situation though there....Do you think that school you mentioned Seminole High
School is better than either of these (I see they got 'A' ratings), so just wondered if you know of these, and what the differences would be between Seminole (I see is rated A-, also good) vs. those mentioned below....Are the neighborhoods
better in one vs. another? If I want to find a rental not far from the beach (no more than 10 minutes drive or less) what area do you suggest? Are there any areas to avoid in general (in that region)?

Thanks so much for the rental info. as well, greatly appreciate that.

https://www.niche.com/k12/st-petersb...petersburg-fl/

vs.

vs.

https://www.niche.com/k12/seminole-h...ol-sanford-fl/

Old 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would say the St Pete area wins here in my opinion. It's a good bit friendlier, has less crowded beaches which are much nicer than the east coast (many with non-burning white sand), less waves obviously in the Gulf but largely minus the hazards of sharks/jellyfish and rip currents, has excellent cultural amenities (Dali Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, The Morean, Chiluly Museum) and all kinds of art festivals/events, a vibrant restaurant/nightlife scene downtown and beachside (St Pete Beach and Treasure Island) and rentals a good bit less expensive than WPB. Since you have a child in high school check out the NW border suburb of Seminole (and the extreme west end of Largo) which are close to the beaches and an easy drive into downtown. Seminole High School has a long tradition of quality (solid "B" school) and is in a safe area to live. Unfortunately the schools in St Pete proper aren't the best, though have been improving in recent years. The zone map attached shows the SHS boundaries and some rental homes in the area too.

Downtown St Petersburg Florida - Official Discover Downtown St Petersburg Guide & Map
Sorry, I forgot to attach your message first....

Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
Thank you so much kyle19125 for that information - it really sounds amazing there in St. Pete....
Love to hear they are more friendly over in St. Pete, and the beach situation sounds a lot better too...
I do want to ask more regarding the school situation though there....Do you think that school you mentioned Seminole High
School is better than either of these (I see they got 'A' ratings), so just wondered if you know of these, and what the differences would be between Seminole (I see is rated A-, also good) vs. those mentioned below....Are the neighborhoods
better in one vs. another? If I want to find a rental not far from the beach (no more than 10 minutes drive or less) what area do you suggest? Are there any areas to avoid in general (in that region)?

Thanks so much for the rental info. as well, greatly appreciate that.

vs.

vs.

https://www.niche.com/k12/seminole-h...ol-sanford-fl/
The third Seminole HS is in Sanford FL where I live now coincidentally enough. : ) It's one of the best in the state but about 2.5 to 3 hours from St Pete. St Pete High gets an "A" grade but if you scroll through the results, 57% of students are proficient in reading and as such probably not a good environment overall. St Pete Collegiate High School is a magnet school for 10th through 12th graders and I think one has to apply to get in from an existing Pinellas County high school, and have well above average academics/testing results. The town of Seminole definitely places you within 10 minutes of the beach from the SW side as does the west end of Largo, both of which are zoned for Seminole HS. If you stay within that school district you're looking at pretty good areas to live generally speaking.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:47 AM

686 posts, read 621,636 times
Other than downtown and parts of NE, St. Pete is mostly run down. That said, I've spent a lot of time in West Palm. I would take St. Pete and it's not even close.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Other than downtown and parts of NE, St. Pete is mostly run down.
That was more true 10 years ago...most of St Pete has revitalized or is in process. North from downtown all the way up through the Gateway area, west of downtown through Grand Central, Kenwood and Jungle Terrace as well as the southern tip (south of 45th) are all decent or quite desirable for the most part.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:37 PM

686 posts, read 621,636 times
Quote:
That was more true 10 years ago...most of St Pete has revitalized or is in process. North from downtown all the way up through the Gateway area, west of downtown through Grand Central, Kenwood and Jungle Terrace as well as the southern tip (south of 45th) are all decent or quite desirable for the most part.
Nah, it's still true. It has a long way to go.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:
The third Seminole HS is in Sanford FL where I live now coincidentally enough. : ) It's one of the best in the state but about 2.5 to 3 hours from St Pete. St Pete High gets an "A" grade but if you scroll through the results, 57% of students are proficient in reading and as such probably not a good environment overall. St Pete Collegiate High School is a magnet school for 10th through 12th graders and I think one has to apply to get in from an existing Pinellas County high school, and have well above average academics/testing results. The town of Seminole definitely places you within 10 minutes of the beach from the SW side as does the west end of Largo, both of which are zoned for Seminole HS. If you stay within that school district you're looking at pretty good areas to live generally speaking.
Wow, I didn't really want to be that far away from St. Pete - surprised its that far!!?! I did find out about the St Pete Collegiate (which she could get in for the following year, the cut off date already happened) and she has the grades to get in - but one would need to live in Pinellas County to apply....so therefore for 10th grade she would be stuck going to St. Pete high school (if we go this route). I heard good things about St. Petersburg (like the cultural/artsy vibe as well; nice beaches, things to do) that's why I have included it in my choices of where to go....just confused right now to be honest of the right town....

Old 05-07-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Nah, it's still true. It has a long way to go.
Nah, it's not if one has been recently or doesn't have a vendetta against it. Also worth considering, St Petersburg is 2.5 times the size of West Palm Beach (255K to 105K) and has considerably more nicer neighborhoods and nice/very nice bordering suburbs, while tiny West Palm Beach also borders Riviera Beach (to the north) and Lake Worth (to the south) which are two of the most crime ridden cities in FL. Talk about a long way to go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida