Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:09 PM

19 posts, read 23,725 times

Advertisements

If people can carry firearms without a permit or any municipal control it appears that criminal, past, present and future would be able to carry a firearm. In what realm would you want those with criminal intent to have access to firearms in the first place and more so to legally have a firearm on their person?
A mentally unbalanced person would have the regal right to walk the streets with a firearm.

How any government or any individual would want to create such an environment is beyond comprehension. It is clear that Americans have gone daft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
firearms laws. I'm into firearms and moved down here in 2015 and it disappoints me Florida keeps falling behind the pro gun states.

My home state of Missouri is considered one of the most pro gun states and Brady Foundation just ranked them tied for 48th, only behind the state of Mississippi for being most pro gun due to lack of firearms laws.

Missouri for example has permit less concealed carry. You do not need a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Missouri now. They also have open carry in the state for years. The only good thing the permit really does is allow you to open carry in the few towns that have ordinances against open carry. They also passed a constitutional amendment that gives some of the strongest wording in the country in the state constitution regarding bearing arms and has no wording about waiting periods like Florida's does.

Also in MO if you want a permit just so you can open carry, you can apply for a cheap Arizona permit via the mail and use that.

Here in FL open carrying an AR15 would get you arrested while it's perfectly legal in other states.

Florida needs to start by passing permit less concealed carry, open carry and repeal that constitutional amendment for that stupid 3 day wait period on handgun purchases.

Also allow Floridian's to carry on other states permits like Texas does for example. That way you can have backup permits if for some reason you can't renew your FL permit on time.

Florida needs to use states such as Arizona, Missouri, Kansas, Mississippi, Alaska regarding firearms laws.

Needing a permit like we do here in Florida is NOT constitutional and violates the second amendment. The state of Illinois got concealed carry via the federal courts. The same needs to be done in Florida if our lawmakers won't give us permit less carry.

The constitutional doesn't say anything about needing permits to carry firearms. Why not require a permit for a liberal to post on twitter for the 1st amendment, or to buy a baseball bat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
Quote:
IL has concealed carry now.

I wonder how those states would look in permit less carry states where it is likely a larger percentage of people are carrying since no permit required.
I am about as conservative as anyone can be but still against open carry and unregistered concealed carry.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:45 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I am about as conservative as anyone can be but still against open carry and unregistered concealed carry.
New Hampshire passed it, but doesn't the new law up there only let you carry without a permit if it's in a purse or fanny pack? Not true permit less concealed carry.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:47 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Left Bank View Post
If people can carry firearms without a permit or any municipal control it appears that criminal, past, present and future would be able to carry a firearm. In what realm would you want those with criminal intent to have access to firearms in the first place and more so to legally have a firearm on their person?
A mentally unbalanced person would have the regal right to walk the streets with a firearm.

How any government or any individual would want to create such an environment is beyond comprehension. It is clear that Americans have gone daft.
Criminals are already carrying though and it's against the law for a felon to own a firearm. Needing a permit is just requiring yet another layer for something that's already covered.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:50 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Criminals are already carrying though and it's against the law for a felon to own a firearm. Needing a permit is just requiring yet another layer for something that's already covered.
Mentally ill etc is not covered. I do not want such around me. The background check is for everyone's safety and hated by those who would have a problem that would be exposed. After all at a gun show how does anyone know who is a felon and who isn't?

Old 05-30-2017, 08:23 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Mentally ill etc is not covered. I do not want such around me. The background check is for everyone's safety and hated by those who would have a problem that would be exposed. After all at a gun show how does anyone know who is a felon and who isn't?
NICS check same as a gun store... guess you've never been to a gun show lately....

Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 AM

PS there is NO such thing as a gun show loop hole... every retailer there, is hooked up to a WiFi port and do the same background check they would in their store.

I've yet to see Cletus and Bubba trying to sell their personal weapons for a few hundred, without doing a transfer back ground check, or without an FFL. Especially with sheriff's present and walking around....

Gun show loophole

Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentally ill is covered... if you lie on the paper work... for being currently or in the past treated for an ailment or mentally defective no guns for you. Statute 790 read it study it learn it know it.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:38 AM

686 posts, read 622,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Because they still perform background checks at gun shows.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:05 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
NICS check same as a gun store... guess you've never been to a gun show lately....
Nope, but every drunk where I live has one and every drug user as well, and with mental problems to boot. The checks do not work well at all.

I am not against gun ownership at all and have owned a few myself. It is the ease of getting a gun that is the problem and then no follow up once a gun is sold so that no one knows if the person developed mental problems, became criminal, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida