U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 PM

86 posts, read 127,436 times
Default Do not move to Florida

I wouldn't move to Florida. And if you think you may be afraid of gators then you will when you go boating. We lived there for a long time and our son was on a ski team. He saw gators out there.... we lived in a neighborhood where a dog was eaten and a woman was killed by a gator.

I live in Wisconsin now and I love going in the lake... something I never enjoyed in Florida. If you live in Florida live near the beach and boat there but not in the lakes.

I would also be more afraid of losing your booty on your house... we had a home there .... $5500.00 for Insurance a year and $6000.00 for taxes and that is before even touching the mortgage. Ugggh. I heard that some people are losing their insurance too from companies leaving the state.

Have you been to Florida in the summer? It is so hot and humid... got in the car when it was May and the car temp read 112 degrees.... so hot.

There are other great states.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 12,023 times
With pollution and the like being what it is, I don't know why anyone would want to swim in anything but a swimming pool!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,633,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans8 View Post
With pollution and the like being what it is, I don't know why anyone would want to swim in anything but a swimming pool!
You are never supposed to swim in rock pits or lakes. There are all kinds of parasites you can get in every orifice, not to be too graphic. Even Dr. Oz was doing a show not long ago and warned about swimming in lakes.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 PM

131,641 posts, read 42,308,159 times
Lakeland dog survives alligator attack - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/6/15/630666.html?title=Lakeland+dog+survives+alligator+ attack - broken link)

Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 PM

109 posts, read 236,017 times
I lived in Vero Beach on a canal on the Vero Beach Golf course. I have always been a boater and a fisherman. I think the question you are asking is, I love the out doors and fishing and how much of a problem is the allagator. I guess it goes back to knowing they are there, they are capable of causing you a problem but it it is like a bear or a bad neighborhood, understand your position and be aware and you will be fine. When I first moved to Vero the "boys" at the local riverside hangout told me to never worry about a gator in brackish water as they were strictcly fresh water, I believed this until one morning about dawn I was waist deep off a sand bar fishing for sea trout and a 10' gator came swimming by no more than 10 yards from me. I froze and it passed by. Later I confronted the "boys" who thought this very funny. I can tell you that coming home around 11 pm at night off the Indian River and having to travel about one mile of canal to get home, my spot lite picked up no less than 2 dozen bright red eyes on any night. Yes alligators are present and as a person who enjoys sports treat them like bears up north, know they are there, stay out of ther way and keep any small animals away from them and you will be fine. It doesn't hurt to have a handgun with you if you feel comfortable with it just as you would in a bad neigborhood. Never get close to a gator on land as they are fast and can jump 15' in a flash of an eye. If you live on a body of water and have a problem with a gator get a big meat hook, put a chunk of ham thigh on it and connect it with a good size towing chain. The gator kills it's prey by grabbing it and pulling it in the water and twisting it until it drowns. With the chunk of meat and the meat hook it will grab the meat and twist underwater get tangled in the chain and when the chain stops jumping, he is probably drowned and then pull the XXXXX in and skin him out lke a pig and get the smoker or grill going. Don't let a gator keep you from moving to Florida.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 PM

109 posts, read 236,017 times
Back to the gators, I agree with most of the posts, be aware, don,t decide to take a quick dip in the swamp and stay out of there natural habitat. They are not out there looking to eat you but they will never pass up an easy meal, etc. dog, cat, child, anything vunerable. I am like the others water moccasins and cotton mouths are more of a danger to me. I have a "THUNDER FIVE" which is a pistol that shoots 3.5 410 shells and 45 cal. cowboy bullets. It is a five shot revolver with a 2.5 " barrel, it will detour a wild boar, a gator but is death on snakes
and I would not leave home withou it..

Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 PM

624 posts, read 898,826 times
Seriously you guys.. this thread is over 2 years old..! She surely has been eaten by a gator by now.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 PM

557 posts, read 1,141,115 times
Miles Vineyards, it is highly illegal to do that to alligators. If you have a problem gator just call FWC. Otherwise just let them be, they were here long before anyone else and are a very important part of the Florida ecosystem.

The Indian River is a well known brackish waterway that contains a lot of gators. Usually they don't stay in brackish water very long but that area seems to be an exception.

OP- Alligators are not anything to be afraid of as long as you use common sense around them. Most attacks are caused by humans feeding them (causing them to lose their natural fear of humans) or walking dogs too close to their habitat.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM

3,990 posts, read 2,767,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
nah, thats'a like being afraid of moose in the NE...You know they're there but is that gonna stop ya from moving up? Just be safe about it, don't feed one if you see one, don't walk closely to lakes nor your pets and don't swim in anything other than a beach or a pool (unless signs say its safe) I lived on a canal for years growing up as a child and we only had one incident with an alligator coming up tot he house and that was after a hurricane. If you dont' live on water you have nothing to fear they're not walkinga round wild downtown or anything .. I rarely saw them actually
old but excellent post !

Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM

3,990 posts, read 2,767,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
Seriously you guys.. this thread is over 2 years old..! She surely has been eaten by a gator by now.
but still relavant....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida