Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think brightline is gonna change the face of the passenger industry and the world?
Yes 14 25.45%
No 35 63.64%
Undecided 6 10.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 04:38 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This mixed with Uber/Lyft is great... I love traveling by train in South Korea and Japan, it's so much nicer than flying. It would be great if there was tasty food at the stations or on the trains.
Hard to do that unless we are talking walkable urban areas for both to and from destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 07:11 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Hard to do that unless we are talking walkable urban areas for both to and from destinations.
Not really, like in South Korea, they are just little stands, smaller than a food court store... they come in like a bento style tray, just gets heated real quick and you take it on the train with you. Also, the stations are pretty well located in my opinion.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Not really, like in South Korea, they are just little stands, smaller than a food court store... they come in like a bento style tray, just gets heated real quick and you take it on the train with you. Also, the stations are pretty well located in my opinion.
I meant that trains won't work here because the destinations aren't walkable metros. You're going to want a car as soon as you get there. I guess there is uber now though...

Old 06-03-2017, 12:18 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I meant that trains won't work here because the destinations aren't walkable metros. You're going to want a car as soon as you get there. I guess there is uber now though...
and uber will be at Miami central

here the connections
Metrorail
tri-rail
metrobus
broward county transit
taxi
uber
lyft
metromover
brightline
jitney
megabus
special transportation services
greyhound
Miami trolley

Old 06-03-2017, 12:53 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Yes, you can connect to all these services. However all cost bucks. So, you have to go to the terminal. Wait for the train, take the train to your destination, get another service to your destination. Lather, wash, repeat.

Or, you get in your car, drive to your destination in 3 hours, no additional dealings with others, waiting on trains or services, and not pay additional costs.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:03 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Or, you get in your car, drive to your destination in 3 hours, no additional dealings with others, waiting on trains or services, and not pay additional costs.
Lots of people forget that operating a car is not free. By the time you pay maintenance, insurance, state licence fees, fuel, depreciation on your purchase, (and sometimes parking) you would be surprised how much it costs you just to turn the engine over each time. These are all real costs.

Sometimes a little lost convenience is better than using your own car, especially if you travel alone.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Lots of people forget that operating a car is not free. By the time you pay maintenance, insurance, state licence fees, fuel, depreciation on your purchase, (and sometimes parking) you would be surprised how much it costs you just to turn the engine over each time. These are all real costs.

Sometimes a little lost convenience is better than using your own car, especially if you travel alone.
Time savings and convenience is worth it to
many.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:00 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post

Don't confuse loaded costs and incremental costs. The incremental cost of using an automobile are a small part of the total cost.

And this is in general an incremental usage. One does not make the ownership decisions on a car based on usage to and from a train.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:27 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Yes, loaded costs and incremental costs are two different things, one being dependent on whether or not one uses the car. These days with maintenance and fuel costs what they are, that part of the equation has risen sharply.

However, many people, having made their initial investment, forget that using their car isn't free, and sometimes isn't the proper economic decision.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:56 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
I guess it doesn't really matter because this is just an anonymous online forum, but it is a little disconcerting that so many people are being critical of a private company attempting to privatize an operation that many have suggested shouldn't be artificially supported by public moneys. When clearly this type of service can't survive without heavy subsidies, I would think it would be celebrated that a company has decided to take a holistic approach in attempt to make such an endeavor profitable.

As I've now said three times in this thread, I do not know if it will be successful, but I am excited to see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida