Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:31 PM

20 posts, read 55,678 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My girlfriend and me are looking to move from England in the UK, to either Florida or California.

Unfortunately, we know nothing about either of them and would appreciate some help, which of the two would be a good first move, and any information people can give in terms of visa's and things.

We thought we would rent some accomodation first, then buy later on once settled a bit. We have no children and are around our 30's so still like to enjoy life. I'm a professional photographer and would look to continue my work in the US.

I guess a choice of destination would be our first priority, but any help from anyone, especially from anyone already moved from the UK, would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by wutang; 03-09-2008 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
You really need to plan two trips for two weeks each at least. To see California and Florida to make this choice a little easier. I would also suggest visiting Florida during the summer to experience it. Come in July-September.

I am a little biased, i think California is the best place to live in the States, such a beautiful state. But this is all an opinion.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:55 PM

250 posts, read 1,466,155 times
As already said you need to visit both states first before making a choice. I like both California and Florida but we live in Florida. Florida gets very hot and humid in the summer months....

What Visa do you intend to come over with?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:51 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,485,938 times
LOL, if only coming to America was so simple. There is a lot of red legal tape, best to talk to a immigration attorney before you start picking out cities to live in.
Legally moving to the USA is NOT easy.

Start here:

USCIS Home Page

Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,106,850 times
wutang- you cannot just move to the States- we are in the middle of a long process (from the Uk).

Bets you can do is get a 6 month visa (no work) but have to prove funds, an address in the UK and a job to go back to.
Failing that buying a business is the next easiest option but costs at least £60-70 grand

Its gonna be a tough road mate.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:59 AM

711 posts, read 1,848,432 times
California can be nice to live in but the politics are on the moonbat side of liberal and the government makes Florida's seem a model of fiscal rectitude, plus they're regulating and taxing businesses to death so many are leaving. Then again, a UK resident would probably find all that very familiar.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 56,647 times
I live in Florida but I think that for you being a professional photographer Los Angeles California would present the most opportunity. California has a much higher cost of living than Florida does.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:04 PM
lee

91 posts, read 383,606 times
Unless you buy a business you had better forget your Califonia dreaming (sorry to be blunt) but the US is a very difficult country to emigrate to.

I have an American brother and it has taken me 12 years to get my green card.

Do alot of research and you will find out how difficult it is, I believe that if you buy a business you have to apply to renew your visa ever 3 years and it can be denied without giving you a reason, so if you could endure the pressure every 3 years go for it.

I hope everything works out for you because America is a great country.

Lee

Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 PM

26 posts, read 84,985 times
if your going to look into CA i would suggest looking at northern CA, its a lot nicer then So. CA, if you can afford a place around San Francisco or Sacramento i would go for it
So. CA is mostly desert, very overcrowded has a much higher crime rate then No. CA, it's getting really polluted and the gangs are taking over everything

Old 05-28-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
i live in florida but here are the positives an negatives so you can decide: negatives-hot very hot (it is the sunshine state), gangs....well basiclly both cities are the same so....if you like to do lots of things and work then go to california and if you like to sit back relax go to the beach get a tan an eat alot lol then visit florida!!!! oh yeah it kinda depends on the city!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: