Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 48,335 times

Advertisements

I have been watching the treads for about two days. My husband and I are planning to move to Fl. in a few months. We haven't found an apartment or area to live in yet that is close to Miami area. His job would be in the city and I am a stay at home mom. Total household income would be around 80,000 or a little more. My husband is biracial but looks more Caucasian and I am African American. Is Miami that bad with the racial issues or should we be ok and where should we live. I have seen brand new apartments for around 900 a month. Oh and we have three small children. Because we are not fimilair with the area I really need some imput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:45 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,808,705 times
I think you will be ok. This area is very diverse and there are people of all races in this area.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:40 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,001,546 times
Race isn't rally a problem in south Florida.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,728,107 times
There are no problems like that even in the southwest Florida area either. Florida is pretty diverse, there may be a few redneck mentality towns and people in north FL. but south and central Florida race means nothing. At least I never heard of anything...

Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,794,158 times
With exceptions (xenophobes are everywhere), they probably would not even care if you were a transgender interracial couple with children, especially up towards Miami Beach or Broward County. Interracial couples are beyond accepted, they are normal. Mainland Miami-Dade County can actually be surprisingly hostile in the immigrant enclaves, but in general you won't have any problems anywhere in peninsular Florida.

In Miami-Dade County, avoid SOME immigrant enclaves that can be quite xenophobic, and in Broward County, avoid Davie. In fact, Davie is fine, it just has a "reputation" that has mostly fizzled in the past 5 years. A few famous black football players have actually moved in and some even send their kids to the local public schools because it's a decent place to live. If they would move there, it's fine for anyone.

Where to live depends strongly on what you want, where you work, and the age of your children.

I also would expand your budget beyond 900 a month if you have children and 80 grand income. That will get you a 1 bedroom in a decent area, but with three kids why not bump the budget up a little bit to get into a 2 or 3 bedroom in a great area? Like around 1300.

Anyway, try not to think about "race" because quite honestly most people do not care and neither should you if you move down here. Overly "race conscious" people of any race tend to not do well here.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-10-2008 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 PM

28 posts, read 186,803 times
i think you should move to Tampa Fl, its way cheaper and not nearly as racist. theres lots of intergration in Tampa(more so then in Miami), I have heard of ir couples in mia having problems

Old 05-13-2008, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,218 times
Hi NicNewMan!

I find that Florida for the most part is very tolerant and accepting of interracial couples. If you have concerns, try to stick near communities with universities in them - they tend to have far more interracial couples than the rest of the state. My husband and I (he's black and I'm white) live in the greater Tampa area and haven't had one minute of trouble or angry side glances.

I was thrilled to see this board and the discussion - but I've one pet peeve: the word "race."

A race is a contest or the definition of creatures of differing species. My husband and I are the same race, we just have different skin colors and our ancestors are from different parts of the world.

Climbing down from my soapbox!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:01 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,482,878 times
Fine as long as you stick to the bigger cities.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:05 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,128,268 times
NO way. You'll be just fine. Especially in Miami. It's very diverse. As a matter of fact you'll see lots in IR couples in Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnewman View Post
I have been watching the treads for about two days. My husband and I are planning to move to Fl. in a few months. We haven't found an apartment or area to live in yet that is close to Miami area. His job would be in the city and I am a stay at home mom. Total household income would be around 80,000 or a little more. My husband is biracial but looks more Caucasian and I am African American. Is Miami that bad with the racial issues or should we be ok and where should we live. I have seen brand new apartments for around 900 a month. Oh and we have three small children. Because we are not fimilair with the area I really need some imput.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,224,379 times
It is very common in Palm Beach County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida