Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 PM

177 posts, read 257,486 times

Advertisements

Go easy on those chemcials on your dog.They are posionous.Use Neem flea spray and avoid those dips.
Aso there is a product called DE,the natural kind that you can put on your dog,DO NOT USE POOL D.E THAT IS DANGEROUS.
Holistic is best every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,031 times
My moron of a neighbor chained his dog in chicken wire pen out in the hot July sun. No shade, but his credit the dog did have water. I called the authorities and they took care of it. Luckily this moron doesn't speak to me anymore!

Old 03-15-2008, 04:22 AM

93 posts, read 385,995 times
Thanks everyone! all advice is helpful. I did not realize it was so expensive to spray. Nice to know about the plants that could possibly attract some of the insects.

My dogs are spoiled, and are inside dogs. They are Boston terrriers, and do not like the cold weather. Or so all the experts say

To me and my husband, they are family. I am sure a lot of you know what I mean.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 AM

177 posts, read 257,486 times
Yes,I do,my two are like babies and it is surprising if you really spend time with a dog,how much they can pick up of your converstion.I only have to say "Car" or "Walk' and they know it is time to go out.My dogs are indoor too,indoor dogs I have read live longer,due to shorter exposure to outside critters and sprays.
Of course visiting the Vet too.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:18 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,433 times
I would only keep a dog indoors in Florida. Big or small, pets need the ac in the middle of the summer as much as humans. Even keeping a large dog indoors during the day is more humane than under a tree in the back yard.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,541 times
Dogs don't know instinctively to stay away from fire ants until they've had an experience with them. My dog who's 13 now, was only about 12 wks and loved to dig,,,wow,,,he found a nice soft fire ant hill to dig,,so much fun. I looked out the window and saw him shaking his head and running, I went out and rescued him from the nasty guys, but he did it again about a week later.. (He is sweet, but dumb as a "box of rocks").. He finally learned not to mess with that nice soft dirt.
Best defense I've found is Ortho-Orthene for fire ants,, sprinkle it on and they're all DEAD in about 30 min. and cheaper than a pro!!
Good Luck and just keep an eye on the babies,,,,don't forget about BUFO TOADS either, they're bad..[quote=AnotherDayInParadise;3096488]We have 2 dogs and a fenced in yard (in SWFL). Fire ants are amazingly tenacious and seem to pop up only 5 ft away from where they were when you treated them 2 days ago... but I find the dogs know to stay away from them. As for fleas and ticks, they enjoy the Florida weather just as much as we do, and make using Frontline a MUST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida