Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:53 AM

87 posts, read 212,870 times

Advertisements

I understand other cities are worse. That's not what is in question here. When I post these links it is too inform others my home has changed, and not for the better. Way too many think it is all rainbows and candy moving to Florida when it isn't. I was raised here in St Pete. and it is going down hill. Not just in crime but in cost of living. The rents & deposits are insane, leaving many to go homeless. Just yesterday in 1 of my groups people are posting on having $300 too $500 a month water bills and that's not including the high electric and insurance in houses.
The drugs are beyond crisis. Homes are being broken into everyday with people still inside. DWI are rampid here. Just yesterday in Pinellas Park we had a nasty one with a fatality.
No it is not gang land central but.. It isn't all sunshine & rainbows and is a far cry from when I grew up on Maderia beach. Maybe people coming from safer areas of the country to move here would benefit from the truth rather than being told its heaven here from threads like this. Way too many come here with there boyfriends and break up after getting here, Leaving her and possible children on the streets. There are 2 stories of this situation I'm aware of this month alone. Maybe knowing you need a hell of a bank roll too rent here might help. Its supply & demand here. And they want some insane deposits here. If your looking for anything too rent here under $900 a month.. Good luck. And if you do find it well you may not want to live there. And low income housing well again good luck and there is a hella wait list too get in. We are struggling here with a very broken service industry here for help because of all the homeless we have already. Working people are leaving the bay area because wages no longer match cost of living.
Knowledge is power and if my posts help inform people a little and take off the roses colored glasses all these forums and groups push, then maybe Ive helped someone from being on the streets.
If you don't believe me , find groups on FB in the county or city your looking into. Read the news get in touch the best you can before coming, that's all I'm saying.

This is one of our local news you can keep up with. Yes there are whacos everywhere but my God Florida gets some real doozies.Excusing everything away doesn't make it any better.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/

"Try living in Baltimore if you want to see crime, or Chicago, or Memphis."

Last edited by GIbornNBred; 06-29-2017 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Forgot too add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 06:01 PM

490 posts, read 583,463 times
GibornNbred, I live in south St pete, have for 17 yrs. How in the world do you know people in st pete with a 200 to 500 water bill?? LOL, outside of a Olympic sized pool I have to call BULL on that fear mongering rant you posted. Storm water fees went up, there was a increase as usual in rates, like 4%. Living alone my water, sewer, trash, recycle, and taxes came out to $74 in June 2017. I use a shallow irrigation well for the yard. By the way I'm white and in 17 yrs never been mugged,broken into, car stolen, raped, assaulted, victim of vandalism. How can this be? I'm a ugly red neck white guy with a house living in the horror movie of south st pete!

Old 07-10-2017, 11:24 AM

I don't post unless Ive read article, Here chew on this
Homeowners in Gulf Harbors paying twice as much for water - abcactionnews.com WFTS-TV

And if you go there FB Page Dated JUNE 28th and READ all the peoples comments below the article you will see what people are saying such as ...
"We moved to Trinity last October. Our first bill was $340 mostly due to the sprinkler system. We cut our usage so much to get under $200. Then the Property manager threatened to bill us for replacing sod. It's back up to $250 a month for 2 people"

The comments are all about getting gouged.
And I go by the crime scene maps that are from the police stations themselves ! Fear mongering my A##. Just because you haven't been affected doesn't mean this isn't around. Just the other night there where 2 murders in SOUTH ST PETE . I post articles & links too help others realize it isn't all Paradise here.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIbornNBred View Post
I don't post unless Ive read article, Here chew on this
Homeowners in Gulf Harbors paying twice as much for water - abcactionnews.com WFTS-TV

And if you go there FB Page Dated JUNE 28th and READ all the peoples comments below the article you will see what people are saying such as ...
"We moved to Trinity last October. Our first bill was $340 mostly due to the sprinkler system. We cut our usage so much to get under $200. Then the Property manager threatened to bill us for replacing sod. It's back up to $250 a month for 2 people"

The comments are all about getting gouged.
And I go by the crime scene maps that are from the police stations themselves ! Fear mongering my A##. Just because you haven't been affected doesn't mean this isn't around. Just the other night there where 2 murders in SOUTH ST PETE . I post articles & links too help others realize it isn't all Paradise here.
Just because one area and with a HOA or rental home does not mean that the whole city and or County has the problem.

While in any big city or popular tourist area, crime will be high, it is not the State just the reality of living in a dense population area. Nowhere is paradise and everywhere will have problems.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 PM

I'm SO TIRED of everyone missing the point on my posts OR just casually fluffing it off, I know Tampa Bay is a big city . I know big cities have there issues BUT what I'm trying to do is raise awareness too the hidden traps moving here. Everyday I see someone go homeless Esp with kids because they didn't know you need good credit too rent OR you need a small bank roll for the deposits here OR your car ins will basically double moving here. The list goes on. Not many in here warn others or just shrug off the pit falls and just let them figure it out for themselves. That's so selfish.
Our homeless problem here may not of been so bad off if they where told the truth, Especially for those with no back up IE friends or family. If they where warned ahead of time housing is at premium here and you better have a bunch saved up for deposits and half way good credit.And that our county is about bust on helping anyone out so don't even think you have that back up.
I care for people , So shoot me. I'm tired of seeing people come here Especially couples, then times get tough & they split and poof homeless. There are a lot of hidden pitfalls along with the crimes here constant DUI Fatalities and wrecks everyday that I'm just trying too give them all the perspective too moving here.

"While in any big city or popular tourist area, crime will be high, it is not the State just the reality of living in a dense population area. Nowhere is paradise and everywhere will have problems."

Old 07-10-2017, 05:47 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
I'm SO TIRED of everyone missing the point on my posts OR just casually fluffing it off, I know Tampa Bay is a big city . I know big cities have there issues BUT what I'm trying to do is raise awareness too the hidden traps moving here. Everyday I see someone go homeless Esp with kids because they didn't know you need good credit too rent OR you need a small bank roll for the deposits here OR your car ins will basically double moving here. The list goes on. Not many in here warn others or just shrug off the pit falls and just let them figure it out for themselves. That's so selfish.
Umm that's what being an adult is about...
If you can't be responsible and realise you need to come up with security deposits or that if you can't handle money wisely then perhaps you should go move to a nanny state like NY or California... they've got tons of state funding for you to be irresponsible. Sky high taxes too!

Quote:
Our homeless problem here may not of been so bad off if they where told the truth, Especially for those with no back up IE friends or family. If they where warned ahead of time housing is at premium here and you better have a bunch saved up for deposits and half way good credit.And that our county is about bust on helping anyone out so don't even think you have that back up.
I care for people , So shoot me. I'm tired of seeing people come here Especially couples, then times get tough & they split and poof homeless. There are a lot of hidden pitfalls along with the crimes here constant DUI Fatalities and wrecks everyday that I'm just trying too give them all the perspective too moving here.

"While in any big city or popular tourist area, crime will be high, it is not the State just the reality of living in a dense population area. Nowhere is paradise and everywhere will have problems."
It's called life... in life comes certain responsibilities... it's hard this thing called life... it's even harder if you're dumb...

Old 07-10-2017, 08:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

I understand.

However appreciate the problems you are seeing are everywhere, not just FL. The whole economic situation for so many is deteriorating and no one can really fix that now. For those who cannot afford a home or even a rental in a good area, they need to find such an area/State where they can. Easy no, but necessary as it isn't going to change. This is compounded by the desire of so many to live in Fl and that drives costs up making it hard for many who used to do OK, even worse.

My sister in law lives in east TN in a trailer she owns and has just a small Social Security check and part time work. She lives just fine. She could not afford to live in FL but is OK where she is. Nice safe area with all the necessities near by and a lot to do, but no beach.

I post both good and bad on these forums, especially in CA as it is my "home" State and while there is a lot of good there, there is also a lot of bad. FL is no different. Warning people helps if they pay attention, but it does nothing if they do not check sites like this before moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida