Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 AM

29 posts, read 107,007 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about moving down south (I am from upstate NY). I have been going back and forth between NC and FL - my parents will be moving to FL (about 2 hrs from Gainesville) hopefully before next winter. I am currently working in a college and have been for 12 years (not a professor) and have my college degree. I have been looking at jobs online at the University of FL Gainesville. I don't want to live right in the college town area (I am way too old for that) and would like to find a place out a bit from Gainesville (with people in their late 30's to 50's).

Does anyone know of a nice city/town commuting distance from Gainesville that would be safe for a single woman? I like the small town feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
I'm jealous.

I've heard to get into the UF jobs you need to "know someone"... and I'm not just talking about faculty jobs.

However, if you do land one... that would be awesome. Gainesville is great, the quaint little towns around G'ville are lovely too... but, the general "rule" is to stay away from the East side.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:19 PM

I like the lower taxes - that is appealing. I don’t want to live in Gainesville – nothing against it, but I live in a college town now and taxes and rent are significantly higher and I am tired of paying a lot for an OK apartment. I would also like to find a non-college town with people in the 30-40+ age range.

I never really thought about what else I would do if I didn’t get a job at UF. Are there other job opportunities in or around Gainesville? I don’t need to stay in Higher Education but I thought that since I have done it for so long that is where my experience is.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 AM

47 posts, read 273,206 times
Default Gainesville area

I've lived in the Gainesville area all of my life, and currently work at UF.
The University is undergoing severe budget cuts, and there are some hiring freezes going on. I don't know what the situation is at Santa Fe Community College.

As for small towns to commute from, Newberry is nice, but that area is growing tremendously. It will soon almost be connected to Gainesville. Personally, I like McIntosh. It's about 16 miles south of Gainesville, but an easy commute on 4-lane highway 441. There are many lovely old homes and churches, and beautiful moss-draped live oaks. It is situated on the shores of Orange Lake, and there are many rolling hills in this area. It's in Marion County, where the taxes surely would be cheaper. The property taxes here in Alachua County are outrageous.

Another option might be Melrose. Again, there are many lovely Victorian homes in Melrose, and the town in located on the shores of Lake Santa Fe. I've noticed that the highway to Gainesville (state road 26) can get busy with commuter traffic, however. Both are nice, safe towns, with Melrose being a little larger. There would probably be more people in your target age range there.

Another option might be High Springs. It's a little larger than Melrose and McIntosh, but you would still have to deal with Alachua County taxes. I know of several people who work at UF that commute from there.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:21 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstocksnoopy View Post
I have been thinking about moving down south (I am from upstate NY). I have been going back and forth between NC and FL - my parents will be moving to FL (about 2 hrs from Gainesville) hopefully before next winter. I am currently working in a college and have been for 12 years (not a professor) and have my college degree. I have been looking at jobs online at the University of FL Gainesville. I don't want to live right in the college town area (I am way too old for that) and would like to find a place out a bit from Gainesville (with people in their late 30's to 50's).

Does anyone know of a nice city/town commuting distance from Gainesville that would be safe for a single woman? I like the small town feel.
With the economy like it is,employment coud be tenuous here in Florida.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUP41800 View Post
I've lived in the Gainesville area all of my life, and currently work at UF.
The University is undergoing severe budget cuts, and there are some hiring freezes going on. I don't know what the situation is at Santa Fe Community College.

As for small towns to commute from, Newberry is nice, but that area is growing tremendously. It will soon almost be connected to Gainesville. Personally, I like McIntosh. It's about 16 miles south of Gainesville, but an easy commute on 4-lane highway 441. There are many lovely old homes and churches, and beautiful moss-draped live oaks. It is situated on the shores of Orange Lake, and there are many rolling hills in this area. It's in Marion County, where the taxes surely would be cheaper. The property taxes here in Alachua County are outrageous.

Another option might be Melrose. Again, there are many lovely Victorian homes in Melrose, and the town in located on the shores of Lake Santa Fe. I've noticed that the highway to Gainesville (state road 26) can get busy with commuter traffic, however. Both are nice, safe towns, with Melrose being a little larger. There would probably be more people in your target age range there.

Another option might be High Springs. It's a little larger than Melrose and McIntosh, but you would still have to deal with Alachua County taxes. I know of several people who work at UF that commute from there.

Best of luck with your decision.
Thanks, I will take a look at those towns also. I think someone mentioned that it is difficult to get into UF even without the cuts. I probably won't be moving for at least another year so maybe things will look brighter at UF then. Is it hard to get a job at UF when there aren't freezes? I would be looking at a lower administrative level position - Assistant or Associate Director level (that is how we define it here) in Development or Alumni Relations. I have a BS and a lot of work experience.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:06 PM

147 posts, read 559,296 times
Don't forget too look at Micanopy too! And best of luck!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,220 times
Default Moving to Gainesville this summer from Western PA!

Woohoo!! I'm sooooo excited.

We're looking to move to Haile, but are open to finding other neighborhoods as well that have "A" schools.

Are there any you can recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida