U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:57 AM

238 posts, read 607,287 times

Advertisements

Hello to all native floridians and non natives.

I have had the pleasure of living in north ga now for seven weeks and here are some of the funny new things to get use too. first it took me this long to disfuse on my road rage from living in tampa. yes - i admit it! now i 'm not in much of a hurry and its so nice - now you have to remember that i am in the foothills of the mountains. the worst traffic i hit is on ga 400 around cumming and a tractor now and then .

now for the georgia drivers, do not ever tail gate there is a space of three car lengths for a reason , man it only took me two times of almost rear ending someone because of this . they will not use their turn signal until they are right on their turnoff and they will slam the brakes . i betcha they have to have a brake job every six months.

they are terrified of their mountian roads and have not learned to used the hills and curves to their advantage . I love it, but i'm a roller coaster junkie and love my sports car.
this is if your behind a ga driver-
if the speed limit says 45 , you will do 45 or under ,not 50. if its 65 you will do 65 not 70 they do not drive one mile over the speed limit ! can you imagine what i was thinking and saying.........

These people up here are very laid back ( like the old days in florida , oops did i just say that ) and very friendly . they are calling me the ga transplant and a flatlander ( had to ask what that was, its a person from fl) i do not lock my car doors or my house , its a nice change.

if you are a mickey dees fan you will be disappointed there is only one in each town . if you see it you better stop , there willl not be one on every corner.

Now for the views - oh my god , even in winter with most of the trees dead looking , those mountians in the back ground as you top some hills esp when the sun is setting and the sky is gold, pink and baby blue its as
beautiful as a beach sunset in florida,just a different landscape - the best way to put it is, the natural beauty up here is just like a norman rockwell painting!

Now for the weather - being a fourth generation floridian , this is the one thing i was a afraid of , being able to stand colder weather . its different , i'll try to explain this way - 50's in florida and my bones would hurt . 50's here and i'm in a long sleave shirt outside. its nice,cool but not bone chilling - 40's in florida - no way i'm going outside . 40's here two layers and a jacket and i'm outside .60s in florida - beautiful,60's here -beautiful . yes we have gotten down into the 20's and its cold but thats cold anywhere . we have had 20's in dade city florida also just not as many days. when it rains and its cold its just like florida , its miserable period ! so all and all i am enjoying it and we are having a who can put the most lights on their house war in our new neighborhood . we have also had six new familys from florida move into the neighborhood .

so you may ask , do i miss florida -No-do i miss my friends - very much! do i miss family - well i only have my 96 year old grandfather who is being cared for by my uncle and yes i miss him dearly as he is the last of my family in florida . hubbys mom is selling her condo in z-hills and we are making our 1000 sq ft basement into an apt for her . the rest of his family have already visited us and are coming back in the spring and summer and no my grandfather did not want to come with us we did ask and plead but he is the one who we can not trace his family tree out of the state of florida .

so i will close with this ............i Love it! its like the florida of my youth with a different view .............cheers to all l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,991,105 times
Great post! Glad to see the relocation benefitted you. Ill be sharing my experiences once I relocate out of Florida. North Geogia is about 15 degrees cooler than central Florida. Oil city will be like 40 degrees cooler in the winter but ill deal with it.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:37 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,733,798 times
We came to Georgia (S.E.) from Fort Lauderdale.

We have found it amazingly relaxing. You are correct about your findings.

Did you say "old Florida"? I'd agree.
Been here going on 3 months now. We moved to a rural area. 20 acres private estate island. Like our own little sanctuary, although it did takesome adjustment.

Love the weather !! (so far)

Old 12-06-2006, 08:42 AM

627 posts, read 2,620,758 times
North GA is stunning! Helen is a Great place to visit and so is "Burt's Pumpkin Farm". Also, Lake Lanier is very pretty, Plus, we never seen or heard of Gators in it! Hahaha

If you like racing, you should take the driving class at Panoz in Braselton GA, we are thinking of sending our kids! Maybe then they could drive here in FL. LOL

Enjoy North GA!!!!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:49 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,404,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
Hello to all native floridians and non natives.

I have had the pleasure of living in north ga now for seven weeks and here are some of the funny new things to get use too. first it took me this long to disfuse on my road rage from living in tampa. yes - i admit it! now i 'm not in much of a hurry and its so nice - now you have to remember that i am in the foothills of the mountains. the worst traffic i hit is on ga 400 around cumming and a tractor now and then .

now for the georgia drivers, do not ever tail gate there is a space of three car lengths for a reason , man it only took me two times of almost rear ending someone because of this . they will not use their turn signal until they are right on their turnoff and they will slam the brakes . i betcha they have to have a brake job every six months.

they are terrified of their mountian roads and have not learned to used the hills and curves to their advantage . I love it, but i'm a roller coaster junkie and love my sports car.
this is if your behind a ga driver-
if the speed limit says 45 , you will do 45 or under ,not 50. if its 65 you will do 65 not 70 they do not drive one mile over the speed limit ! can you imagine what i was thinking and saying.........

These people up here are very laid back ( like the old days in florida , oops did i just say that ) and very friendly . they are calling me the ga transplant and a flatlander ( had to ask what that was, its a person from fl) i do not lock my car doors or my house , its a nice change.

if you are a mickey dees fan you will be disappointed there is only one in each town . if you see it you better stop , there willl not be one on every corner.

Now for the views - oh my god , even in winter with most of the trees dead looking , those mountians in the back ground as you top some hills esp when the sun is setting and the sky is gold, pink and baby blue its as
beautiful as a beach sunset in florida,just a different landscape - the best way to put it is, the natural beauty up here is just like a norman rockwell painting!

Now for the weather - being a fourth generation floridian , this is the one thing i was a afraid of , being able to stand colder weather . its different , i'll try to explain this way - 50's in florida and my bones would hurt . 50's here and i'm in a long sleave shirt outside. its nice,cool but not bone chilling - 40's in florida - no way i'm going outside . 40's here two layers and a jacket and i'm outside .60s in florida - beautiful,60's here -beautiful . yes we have gotten down into the 20's and its cold but thats cold anywhere . we have had 20's in dade city florida also just not as many days. when it rains and its cold its just like florida , its miserable period ! so all and all i am enjoying it and we are having a who can put the most lights on their house war in our new neighborhood . we have also had six new familys from florida move into the neighborhood .

so you may ask , do i miss florida -No-do i miss my friends - very much! do i miss family - well i only have my 96 year old grandfather who is being cared for by my uncle and yes i miss him dearly as he is the last of my family in florida . hubbys mom is selling her condo in z-hills and we are making our 1000 sq ft basement into an apt for her . the rest of his family have already visited us and are coming back in the spring and summer and no my grandfather did not want to come with us we did ask and plead but he is the one who we can not trace his family tree out of the state of florida .

so i will close with this ............i Love it! its like the florida of my youth with a different view .............cheers to all l
That sounds great. Sometimes we don't realize our lives could be different, we get stuck in a rut. It could even be a happy rut, but still one that keeps us from moving forward or seeking change. Then something comes along, maybe not of our own doing and maybe not even to our liking and it spurs change and we move in a direction we could not have imagined, on to new adventures.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,368,318 times
So, Spotrod, where you at up there?

Quote:
they are calling me the ga transplant and a flatlander
That's what they call you to your face, behind your back you are a "Floridiot". If you're from South Florida, then you are a "half-back", i.e. someone who moved from New York to Miami and now moved half-way back home. "Blow-in" is what they call people with vacation homes up there.

Like I've been saying, all of the native Floridians have relocated to North Georgia, and Western North Carolina.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 PM

243 posts, read 1,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
So, Spotrod, where you at up there?

That's what they call you to your face, behind your back you are a "Floridiot". If you're from South Florida, then you are a "half-back", i.e. someone who moved from New York to Miami and now moved half-way back home. "Blow-in" is what they call people with vacation homes up there.

Like I've been saying, all of the native Floridians have relocated to North Georgia, and Western North Carolina.

The original good ol' Florida folks have been leaving Dade County since the 1970's and 1980's to Georgia and the Carolina's. The immigration waves and massive development came, they saw, and they left for the mountains. This has been going on since I've been a kid here, funny how judging from these posts it's now catching up to the rest of Florida. It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't enjoy all the Florida things to the max like I do--fishing, boating, the beach--but when you do, the negatives of Florida are heavily outweighed by its unique positives.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:12 PM

894 posts, read 3,969,527 times
I am 45 and have been in South Florida since 1980, so I feel like a native floridian. We have sold our home in Broward, awaiting the closing next week and have purchased a home in Woodstock, GA to close on 12/21. We will also be purchasing a second home in North Georgia for weekends, rentals and for family and friends to come visit. We are soooo excited to start this next chapter in our lives and look forward to our new way of living. Funny, we intended on downsizing from our 4/3 in Fla, but found a fabulous property that is 1000sq ft bigger. The people had no intentions of EVER moving, upgraded the house to the nines, including a gourmet $60,000 kitchen, finished the basement beautifully, professional faux painting throughtout, updated light fixtures, a pool with a salt chlorinator. For 290,000 we feel like we got the deal of a lifetime!

GA, here we come!

Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 PM

15 posts, read 44,403 times
Hi
I am thinking of moving to Ga too. I am in Hernando County Fl. I am tired of being on top of my neighbors and want about 5 acres to build on. My daughter will be starting high school next year so good schools are a concern. What areas do you like? Thank you.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:13 PM

238 posts, read 607,287 times
Dear Mr Prichard , i am in Dahlonega - and i have called tranplants to fl much worse ! i do not have thin skin - you forget i've had to deal with NORTHERNERS
Mr Sunny Dog - if i could afford a boat in fl to go fishing , i'd have done it . love deep sea fishing and now i can come on down and afford to charter a boat to go. guess what , now i can afford to stay on the beach for a week now instead of fighting the rest of you to go for the day. and i disagree that the good ol floridians have been leaving for years - do not make out that we natives are stupid. your the stupid one staying there and spending all your money! you need to just breath ....and stop being so hateful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or