Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 07:24 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

Just as many are moving to the Northeast as well. It's not like we're seeing a huge population loss like what happened in the Midwest. Let's not pretend Florida is some magical place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 09:02 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
[quote=PDF;49168227]Just as many are moving to the Northeast as well. It's not like we're seeing a huge population loss like what happened in the Midwest. Let's not pretend Florida is some magical place.[/QUOTE

I have to agree with you to an extent. We are getting a lot of New Englanders flocking to places like FL though.

However, places like New York City and Boston continue to gain population despite housing and rent skyrocketing in these cities, people still move there. Jobs could be a factor there too.

Also, it seems in just about all the states the medium and major cities have held steady, or have gained in population while rural areas of the states gradually have lost population especially since the recession.

This is seen in Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia and North Florida for example. A number of the rural counties in the northern part of our state have lost population or held steady.

Since there are a lack of jobs in these rural areas like North FL for example it makes sense that some people are gravitating to the bigger cities like Jacksonville or Tampa.

Not going to find a bunch of high paying jobs in the middle of south Georgia or in Lafayette and Taylor Counties in Florida.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
It true while I was in Miami highway was full of New York plates every area of city and second most common was California
When I'm in Florida, I usually notice a few more Canadian plates than California plates (yes, I know Canada is a country and not a state ), and i'm a native Californian who lives in Texas.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:36 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
The Chinese are also buying up lots of property in the US too. They're the number one nationality buying property, especially in Florida, California, and Texas. Probably why you see apartment rents going up and housing rent as well.

China is producing a lot of wealthy people who are now investing their money here in the US with property.
Can't blame them. Their government pollutes the **** out of their own country, squashes free speech etc.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Just as many are moving to the Northeast as well. It's not like we're seeing a huge population loss like what happened in the Midwest. Let's not pretend Florida is some magical place.
A complete lie

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...uburbs/496445/

Western states growing fast as Northeast bleeds population | TheHill

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...wth-is-lagging

Old 08-28-2017, 09:04 AM

129 posts, read 110,242 times
We moved south because we have health conditions that run in our family that are worsened by the cold. We were practically confined to the house six months out of the year. It's not that we didn't *want* to be out there enjoying the snow, but it wasn't worth it when we had to follow said snowy adventure up with an ER visit and/or lay in bed for a week minimum to recuperate. =/ When we lived in FL before moving north, we were able to do things every day of the year - even the hot days down south weren't as limiting as the cold days up north.

Also, property taxes were sky high and rising rapidly.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 PM

686 posts, read 621,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
We moved from the DC area to a beachside community in Florida and the weather in DC can be worse in both summer and winter.
Winter I'll give you (of course), but summers... NO WAY is the weather in DC worse than here. And even during the heat waves up there, they get frequent breaks in temperature and humidity. Summer nights can even be (what Floridians would consider to be) occasionally COOL. Florida is relentless for anywhere from 4 to 6 months, depending on where you live. Around the clock brutal humidity, dew points, and harsh UV.

In the 34 years I lived in DC, winters became much more mild, so even that isn't as cut and dry anymore.

Sorry, but no way in hell would a DC summer ever be considered worse than Florida. Not by a long shot.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Why do you people want to move to Democrap areas? Florida has been gradually becoming blue. I want to be deep red like Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi. Deep red states have a better quality of life too.
To get away from people who use the term democrap.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:26 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Winter I'll give you (of course), but summers... NO WAY is the weather in DC worse than here. And even during the heat waves up there, they get frequent breaks in temperature and humidity. Summer nights can even be (what Floridians would consider to be) occasionally COOL. Florida is relentless for anywhere from 4 to 6 months, depending on where you live. Around the clock brutal humidity, dew points, and harsh UV.

In the 34 years I lived in DC, winters became much more mild, so even that isn't as cut and dry anymore.

Sorry, but no way in hell would a DC summer ever be considered worse than Florida. Not by a long shot.
You might want to look at the temperatures the DC area had this summer.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
You might want to look at the temperatures the DC area had this summer.
I check them every day. I also know that a lot of morons (I'm not calling you a moron) look at temperature data and that's it. They never take dew point, heat index, "feels like" temps, or anything into account.

To use a microcosm example - Tomorrow, the temperature for my city is 93. The dew point will be somewhere in the uncomfortable zone it's always in from June to some time in late October; somewhere in the mid to upper 70s. At that level, your body can not evaporate sweat on its own. The "feels like" temp will be 112. Some would look at the actual temp and go "oh man! not so bad!" Nonsense. And it's like this for over 4 months straight, around the clock, year after year.

Here's the difference. Yes, DC occasionally gets insane dew points like we do in Tampa, which cause their heat indices and "feels like" temperatures so soar like they do here. But as I said before, DC has frequent breaks in summer humidity. Florida doesn't. THAT, plus my own personal experiences in both regions, is why you will never convince me that DC summers are even remotely as bad as Florida's.

Also note - DC's temp for tomorrow is a high of 68, with a dew point of 63. Man. Scorching. /sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida